Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time-Based Control?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tim, changing to 'Self-powered' mode works for me....back to normal solar charge and discharge...will try/revert 'advanced TBC' around 10pm BST
Thabks Neil. I spoke to customer support and they said it usually takes a few hours after switching to self-powered for it to take effect. They were right, it took a couple of hours but discharging ok now back on self-powered .

Thabks Neil. I spoke to customer support and they said it usually takes a few hours after switching to self-powered for it to take effect. They were right, it took a couple of hours but discharging ok now back on self-powered .
No probs, also having mixed results today, did switch back to TBC, the sun has almost set and it was not discharging...switched back, power cycled the PW, back to normal...waiting for a callback from support tomorow...bit disappointed from nothing to working and back again

I'm another UK-based PW2 owner who has noticed strange things happening today. The battery, which was depleted overnight, stopped charging from the solar power at about 10:50, resumed charging at about 13:50, then stopped again between 15:50 and 16:50. It's possible that the :50 in the times is when the PW2 gets instructions from HQ as I changed the setting from TBC (balanced) back to Self-powered when I noticed the problem at about 13:00 and then switched back to TBC a couple of hours later when I thought the problem had cleared. On seeing the energy disappearing to the grid again I changed back to Self-powered. You can see the behaviour of my PW2 at SN36AJ 4.050kW | Live Output. Click on the right-most blob under the date to get the extended data (ie the battery) and click on Live (left end of the row below the blobs).

The other thing you may notice is that the battery has shown no desire, so far, to charge using off-peak power even when functionally empty (as it was last night after 3 days of poor solar output). However, this is a mixed blessing as I don't want the battery charging too much such that solar output is going to the grid as the battery is full. I have suggested to Telsa that the user should have a simple control for setting a target charge level at the end of the off-peak period.

Sunday night my system in California kept discharging through the Off-Peak period from 7pm-midnight. This is the first time it's done that for the whole period. Sometimes it had gone an hour or two into the Off-Peak before going into Standby. I am on TBC-Balanced. Today looks pretty normal. The house drew from the grid during Off-Peak and it's charging from solar at a rate slightly below the solar output, so the house is drawing from the grid slightly less than the consumption. It's partly cloudy, so the solar output is fluctuating a lot.

Question for Australian’s.
I am using powershop as my retailer. Just received a quote from red energy and qantas. Anybody with red energy? Their off peak rate is the best I have seen at about 12.87c. Their daily supply charge is also cheaper but the other two rates are a bit higher, but the pw2 seems to eliminate peak anyway.
Your experience greatly appreciated.

my tbc (no solar) was fine for some time but yesterday it started acting up. It started discharging during off-peak ( not supposed to do ever according to specs), and today it failed to start discharging during the peak (also against the speak -- it must until reserve is met). i reset to standby and then tried to re-engage TBC again. When it did, it started charging during peak! its autonomous schedule went completely awry.

Back onto my crond schedule it goes until they fix the darn thing.
Really, my synology crond is doing what is more than enough for me (and it is actually more flexible then the TBC schedule). The only disadvantage to driving it by crond is that when it is switched to charge mode (backup) it charges at only 3.3 kw whereas TBC normally does 7 to 10 kw. oh well.

PS i am still on 1.15.0

my tbc (no solar) was fine for some time but yesterday it started acting up. It started discharging during off-peak ( not supposed to do ever according to specs), and today it failed to start discharging during the peak (also against the speak -- it must until reserve is met). i reset to standby and then tried to re-engage TBC again. When it did, it started charging during peak! its autonomous schedule went completely awry.

Back onto my crond schedule it goes until they fix the darn thing.
Really, my synology crond is doing what is more than enough for me (and it is actually more flexible then the TBC schedule). The only disadvantage to driving it by crond is that when it is switched to charge mode (backup) it charges at only 3.3 kw whereas TBC normally does 7 to 10 kw. oh well.

PS i am still on 1.15.0
My Powerwalls acted much like yours. On TBC-Balanced, they continued to discharge until midnight, then went into Standby. They charged to 100% by 1:30pm, then failed to start discharging during the Peak period. I finally noticed and switched it back to Self-Powered. When it took effect, it started discharging to zero out the grid draw. After the Peak period ended I changed it back to TBC-Balanced and now it's in Standby. Very strange.

Also saw that I was updated to 1.16.2 today. Still no time based control.
It just started with 20 mins left on the off peak, is this normal...ps it also started when I was on the line to the support team ...hopefully it will stop at 0830 BST

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-081734.png
    Screenshot_20180502-081734.png
    617.4 KB · Views: 62
It just started with 20 mins left on the off peak, is this normal...ps it also started when I was on the line to the support team ...hopefully it will stop at 0830 BST
It did stop at 8:31 that's good news, just needed a bit more from the grid during the early hrs of the day

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180502-083126.png
    Screenshot_20180502-083126.png
    823.3 KB · Views: 49
Maybe my battery did not need a boost with off peak grid power @ 72% by 12:32 and ~5kW off the roof
I hope my powerwall has learnt something today. About an hour before end of off-peak it decided that the 30% or so that it has was more than necessary, so began to supply the house rather than using cheap off-peak .
Cloud and rain for much of today has only taken me back up to about 35% That won't see me through the evening peak.
I'm going to stick with it though. I understand that it will take a ciuple of weeks to learn what works best. And yesterday was very sunny. Screenshot_20180502-160346.jpg

Update - just got TBC today. Setting to our pk 12n-6p cost savings -- my HOPE is all solar pumps into grid and any draw comes from PW between 12n-6p and the recharges 6p-12mn and again 5a-12noon since I took ITC.

If NOT TIC, i would hope one could recharge battery btween 12mn-5am.

Update - just got TBC today. Setting to our pk 12n-6p cost savings -- my HOPE is all solar pumps into grid and any draw comes from PW between 12n-6p and the recharges 6p-12mn and again 5a-12noon since I took ITC.

If NOT TIC, i would hope one could recharge battery btween 12mn-5am.
In USA, if you have solar, it will only charge from solar. I don't know of a way to get around that.