Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time based release of energy lock on powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

So by default, Tesla automatically retains 20% of your powerwalls for emergencies such as grid outages /etc.

Since that's such a rare event where I live, I have it set to 0%.

However, I pay a larger fee for electric use between 5am - 9am (and 5pm - 9pm) from November until April.
My powerwall usually runs out of energy around 3-5am, and my solar doesn't really start generating much until around 8am. That said, I'm hoping for a way I can let my powerwall use up as much energy as possible throughout the night, but save the last 20% for 5am - 8am at which point it should start charging again.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks in advance!

On a side note, I did try time-based control at one point, but couldn't seem to get it working (maybe I did it wrong). So that MIGHT be what I'm looking for, but maybe I just did it wrong. Basically it refused to use my powerwalls at all outside the peak times, which isn't what I want. I want it to use them, just save some extra for 5am. Time based also doesn't allow me to add more than 1 peak time.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

So by default, Tesla automatically retains 20% of your powerwalls for emergencies such as grid outages /etc.

However, I pay a larger fee for electric use between 5am - 9am (and 5pm - 9pm) from November until April.
My powerwall usually runs out of energy around 3-5am, and my solar doesn't really start generating much until around 8am. That said, I'm hoping for a way I can let my powerwall use up as much energy as possible throughout the night, but save the last 20% for 5am - 8am at which point it should start charging again.

On a side note, I did try time-based control at one point, but couldn't seem to get it working (maybe I did it wrong). So that MIGHT be what I'm looking for, but maybe I just did it wrong. Basically it refused to use my powerwalls at all outside the peak times, which isn't what I want. I want it to use them, just save some extra for 5am. Time based also doesn't allow me to add more than 1 peak time.
The app is being updated to allow for multiple peaks, but until you get the update I would suggest that you set the Peak period for one and Partial-Peak/Shoulder for the other and then use the Time Based Control. This should just discharge the Powerwalls during those periods and not during your Off-Peak times.

I don't know the details of the Arizona net metering rules, so maybe it makes sense to minimize your total import during the Off-Peak night, but I would be surprised if it does.

Hello everyone!

I am in Tucson and have the two split peak rate problem. I have downloaded the latest version for Android – ver. 21.35.0. It shows that it allows you to “Add New Rate Period.” However the button does not work. I have been trying for about 3 days. I have been using the custom rate plan with my peak set from 6am to 9pm. Our actual peak times are 6am to 9am and 6pm to 9pm. I set my off peak from 10pm to 5am which is my super off peak rate for EVs. I have 2 PWs, but have my reserve set to 50%, so effectively one full PW. For now and last year this is working to provide the minimum electric bill. I will keep trying to set the two peak periods.

Last edited:
I am in Tucson and have the two split peak rate problem. I have downloaded the latest version for Android – ver. 21.35.0. It shows that it allows you to “Add New Rate Period.” However the button does not work. I have been trying for about 3 days. I have been using the custom rate plan with my peak set from 6am to 9pm. Our actual peak times are 6am to 9am and 6pm to 9pm. I set my off peak from 10pm to 5am which is my super off peak rate for EVs. I have 2 PWs, but have my reserve set to 50%, so effectively one full PW. For now and last year this is working to provide the minimum electric bill. I will keep trying to set the two peak periods.

Thats not the latest version on android thats a powerwall firmware version. Even if the latest version of the app is on android, it may be some time before the functionality rolls out to you, as per the tesla website.

I can confirm that you will be able to set 2 peak periods when the updated functionality rolls out to you, whenever that happens. Just keep checking your app for it, even with the latest app version, that will not guarantee you instantly see this functionality (it has to be enabled on the back end as well).