Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time/Day Clock for Charge Completion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Are there any 3rd party apps that displays a clock Time and day format (i.e. 10:00 a.m. on 12/20/21) for charge completion as supposed to the current Tesla hours:min countdown format?

Additionally, any features that would allow one to set a scheduled time for a drive and have the app determine the charge current that would allow it to trickle charge to the scheduled departure time?

Currently, the charge rate on the Tesla app is not factored in the scheduling feature. The charge rate has to be preset. However, I would want to trickle charge with as little current as possible from the time I plug in to when I need to unplug and drive. Therefore, have the app automatically adjust the charge rate to show the car to keep charging to the entire time.

Also, I would like to see an estimated time to completion in a clock time format so the user doesn't have to make the calculation themselves. I'm actually surprised that feature doesn't already exists in theTesla app or any other popular Tesla 3rd party apps.

Why do you want to "trickle charge with as little current as possible from the time you plug in, until you need to unplug and drive"? ALL home charging = slow charging, so if thats because "fast charging is bad" then you have nothing to worry about, because all home charging is considered slow.

All that will do is ensure you spend more money charging, since there is a set overhead of energy keeping the car awake when charging, so trickle charging "as slow as possible" means that you are ensuring you are keeping the car awake "as long as possible". maybe thats the goal (keeping the car awake as long as possible, to use more energy)?

Are there any 3rd party apps that displays a clock Time and day format (i.e. 10:00 a.m. on 12/20/21) for charge completion as supposed to the current Tesla hours:min countdown format?

TeslaFi will do what you want time display wise.

Trickle charge as above but have you investigated schedule departure to see if that may be an alternative to what you are after scheduled charging wise.

I have a Teslafi sub, but I can't seem to find a setting that shows me the estimated conpletion time in clock time format.

With regards to trickle charging, I don't drive my car everyday. When I do, I may put on 20 miles on average for the entire day, 60 miles per week.

That said, I have the car parked outside currently in Chicago Winter temps. It is connected to a hardwired charger on a 60A breaker. I prefer to keep the car plugged in at all times when I am not using it. I didn't see the purpose of stressing the charger with 48A charge current everytime I plugged in since the car may be idle for several hours or day between drives. So I set the charge current between 5A - 10A. And if and when I need a quick charge for an unplanned longer drive, I max it to 48A.

If there is no benefit to my SOC strategy, please share.

Last edited:
Well, charging slower will yield a lower effectiveness, or a higher loss if you will. While charging the car stays awake and runs the computer, pumps etc. That draws 200-250w. Compare that to the car sleeping once it's done charging at ~20w. I think even the charger itself is more efficient at higher amps but I'm not as sure of that. So, if nothing else, you're paying for additional energy for no great reason. If your charger is capable of 48A and was installed properly, I believe that it doesn't stress it more to deliver its full power.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I have a Teslafi sub, but I can't seem to find a setting that shows me the estimated conpletion time in clock time format.

Its in the big green banner at the top! But only when charging, which makes sense as charge rate is highly variable based on local voltage during charge. In UK our voltage can vary by over 15% and still be within normal range.

1640032291477.png