Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for a new HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just paid for a replacement on my 2013 P85 as well.

Based on what I was told, I have a new 90 kwh battery (1014116-00-C). From the start, it was unclear what battery I would get as it would be based on availability. I was never given the option of new VS reman, but it looks like I lucked out and may have received a new one. I have not gotten a chance to supercharge it yet, but look forward to doing so since that‘s one of the important factors for me.

Unfortunately they would not unlock the battery to 90 kWh without paying an additional $700, but was told that I can unlock afterwards if I want. My final price out the door was under $14k. I was initially quoted 15k, which actually up to 18k when the part arrived (perhaps because the original quote was for a reman?)

Luckily, after asking for them to bring it back to the original price, they were able to find a Tesla “article“ that can be applied to the 85 kWh models which would allow them to goodwill the price down. Very pleased so far!

Last edited by a moderator:

Based on what I was told, I have a new 90 kwh battery (1014116-00-C). From the start, it was unclear what battery I would get as it would be based on availability. I was never given the option of new VS reman, but it looks like I lucked out and may have received a new one. I have not gotten a chance to supercharge it yet, but look forward to doing so since that‘s one of the important factors for me.

Unfortunately they would not unlock the battery to 90 kWh without paying an additional $700, but was told that I can not unlock afterwards if I want. My final price out the door was under $14k. I was initially quoted 15k, which actually up to 18k when the part arrived (perhaps because the original quote was for a reman?)

Luckily, after asking for them to bring it back to the original price, they were able to find a Tesla “article“ that can be applied to the 85 kWh models which would allow them to goodwill the price down. Very pleased so far!
So glad it's working out for you. Could you help us with the article you mentioned? Thx.

Unfortunately they would not unlock the battery to 90 kWh without paying an additional $700, but was told that I can not unlock afterwards if I want. My final price out the door was under $14k. I was initially quoted 15k, which actually up to 18k when the part arrived (perhaps because the original quote was for a reman?)

Did you get a BMS-U029 error message also.

So glad it's working out for you. Could you help us with the article you mentioned? Thx.
I think the “articles” are internal Tesla employee policies, but my invoice reads “ASY-HV BATTERY,SX- SW LIM 85(1918190-85- A),” despite the installation of the pack number listed above. No idea if that number will be helpful.
Did you get a BMS-U029 error message also.
Unfortunately I don’t recall the exact number of the error message, but that sounds right. Or maybe it was 036? Not sure to be honest.

It’s sorta weird that so many out of warranty cars are suddenly requiring battery replacements. I feel I’ve been seeing threads about this popping up all over.

Reactions: NV Ray
I think the “articles” are internal Tesla employee policies, but my invoice reads “ASY-HV BATTERY,SX- SW LIM 85(1918190-85- A),” despite the installation of the pack number listed above. No idea if that number will be helpful.

Unfortunately I don’t recall the exact number of the error message, but that sounds right. Or maybe it was 036? Not sure to be honest.

It’s sorta weird that so many out of warranty cars are suddenly requiring battery replacements. I feel I’ve been seeing threads about this popping up all over.
If you received the new 90 pack, 1014116-00-C, it would have been reflected in your invoice. That one doesn't say reman though, so maybe it is new as well? My searches can't find that part number anywhere.
Physically look at the sticker on the pack front (in the passenger wheel well) and verify what it is, and post a picture for us.

If you received the new 90 pack, 1014116-00-C, it would have been reflected in your invoice. That one doesn't say reman though, so maybe it is new as well? My searches can't find that part number anywhere.
Physically look at the sticker on the pack front (in the passenger wheel well) and verify what it is, and post a picture for us.
The 2nd estimate (where the cost went up) I received had that part number, but then it changed after they goodwilled the price down.

I also checked that part number and could not find it, so that’s why I am wondering if that’s the “goodwill article code” that was entered.

Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 9F13EED7-C315-498C-ABF3-C89AFEC7B7B2.jpeg
    9F13EED7-C315-498C-ABF3-C89AFEC7B7B2.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dark cloud
Unfortunately they would not unlock the battery to 90 kWh without paying an additional $700, but was told that I can not unlock afterwards if I want.
Sorry, just realized a typo, and I cannot edit my original post. This is supposed to say I CAN unlock it afterwards if I want through requesting it under upgrades. However, I do not see any options when I check for software upgrades.

At this point I have not paid extra to unlock it. As mentioned, supercharging speeds are more important to me right now.

Reactions: ohmman
The 2nd estimate (where the cost went up) I received had that part number, but then it changed after they goodwilled the price down.

I also checked that part number and could not find it, so that’s why I am wondering if that’s the “goodwill article code” that was entered.

Here’s a pic.
I wonder if mine was made the same day or week?
5E2F95EE-F531-44AC-ADCC-B2F56861A188.jpeg

Reactions: tlP85
Yes, this is totally sus. Tesla is not the only electric car company with battery packs that are 8+ years old -- not to mention hybrids with much older battery packs. But Teslas are the only vehicles that are crippled unless the battery pack is replaced for $15k - $20k ... and these issues conveniently happen after the warranty period (and after an OTA update).

Yes, this is totally sus. Tesla is not the only electric car company with battery packs that are 8+ years old -- not to mention hybrids with much older battery packs. But Teslas are the only vehicles that are crippled unless the battery pack is replaced for $15k - $20k ... and these issues conveniently happen after the warranty period (and after an OTA update).

There are very well known and discussed design issues with the early cars and packs. The sort of things that aren’t particularly surprising from a brand new manufacturer.

No conspiracy theory and tinfoil hatting about software updates required.

"sus" is fine I think. Hard to get really good numbers on a forum posting survey.
If I wasn't a forum person and got a new warranty paid battery at 7.5 years, I would be unlikely to run and join a forum. If it happened at 8.5 years and set me back $15k, I would run to a forum.

That being said, we are allowed to be watchful. But doesn't require tinfoil.

Nissan got creative with software updates to make batteries look a little better than they were near their warranty threshold. Some of this is to be expected.

What is different with Nissan v Tesla is that Nissan's are less likely to quickly give up the boat - they just deteriorate over time. This makes Tesla's system a bit easier to game. We have seen Tesla change thresholds over time with the battery - and they aren't transparent about it. That is pretty undeniable.

Given Tesla's history, "sus" is a given. I mean has a software release note ever said - "we are slowing down supercharging because we realized it hurts your battery more than we thought"? Maybe I missed it. Or how about the somewhat safety issue - "we are backing off on regen in cold temps because we realized it hurts...."

Nope - release notes are always about improving something.

And another beef - why oh why can't they give an 8 year warranty on a new replacement battery??? They should be able to give 10 years and all new cars should be 10 by now.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and ArtK
My experience completely debunks this theory.
If this were true, then I wouldn't have gotten the BMS message until after the warranty expired, and not 2 months before. It would have been very easy to program my car to not throw the message for another 2 months, as the pack was still performing perfectly with 396 km (248 mi) of range as it was driven into the service centre. I have always updated to the latest software, currently on 2022.10.8.5.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Glad the price of a replacement HV battery seems to

"sus" is fine I think. Hard to get really good numbers on a forum posting survey.
If I wasn't a forum person and got a new warranty paid battery at 7.5 years, I would be unlikely to run and join a forum. If it happened at 8.5 years and set me back $15k, I would run to a forum.

That being said, we are allowed to be watchful. But doesn't require tinfoil.

Nissan got creative with software updates to make batteries look a little better than they were near their warranty threshold. Some of this is to be expected.

What is different with Nissan v Tesla is that Nissan's are less likely to quickly give up the boat - they just deteriorate over time. This makes Tesla's system a bit easier to game. We have seen Tesla change thresholds over time with the battery - and they aren't transparent about it. That is pretty undeniable.

Given Tesla's history, "sus" is a given. I mean has a software release note ever said - "we are slowing down supercharging because we realized it hurts your battery more than we thought"? Maybe I missed it. Or how about the somewhat safety issue - "we are backing off on regen in cold temps because we realized it hurts...."

Nope - release notes are always about improving something.

And another beef - why oh why can't they give an 8 year warranty on a new replacement battery??? They should be able to give 10 years and all new cars should be 10 by now.
You make some good points, especially why we can't get a longer warranty on replacement batteries.

With my experience - on 13 Oct 2022 purchased used 2012 MS P85 w/117k miles from one owner in San Diego for $27k. Drove to my home in Reno/Lake Tahoe OK. Then after doing vehicle transfer via Tesla App (requiring factory reset), immediately got the BMS-u029 error - I'm relatively new to this world.

Reflection: I'm OK with out of pocket $15k HV battery replacement. My $27k purchase price factored in parts replacements, not just so soon. Plus I have free supercharging and connectivity. Lastly my VIN ends in 2446, giving me the personal satisfaction of owning one of the earliest Model S's.

Observations on battery replacement:

(1) Unless enough of us get together, legal action is a non starter. I've bombarded myraid influencers, including Mr. Musk, about this recent BMS-u029 issue. No takers yet.
(2) To side with Tesla, if the recent software update triggered the message, then there's a possibility the HV batteries had an issue before the software update and owners didn't know it.
(3) We're at the mercy of Tesla. Sure we can try the handful of independent repair shops in the USA but there are pros/cons there. Our resale value plummeted with this error message so we either keep/fix it, try to trade with Tesla for newer vehicle, or sell at full disclosure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Droschke

This answer is easy - because they don’t have to. In the US, federal law requires at minimum an 8 year/100k mile battery warranty on new EVs. No such requirement for replacement parts.