Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for action - Delivery Delays Because of Missing/Faulty ECU Charge Module

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TJGreen1955

Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2022
USA
I've been waiting for final delivery from Tysons facility in VA since the first week of May. I'm giving it one more week before I start my writing campaign. LinkedIn and FaceBook are wonderful places to discover who does what at a company such as Tesla? What if we all started contacting and sending messages to the same group of key people at Tesla corporate headquarters and a couple of people at NBC News? I know this won't solve the immediate problem but it might make this less of a problem for buying a new Tesla in the future. Maybe some Internet and news feed buzz will cause Tesla to wake up, provide more information about delays and give their customers a better time estimate as to when their car will be released for delivery. I'm going to spend time this weekend putting together a list of contacts for Tesla and NBC News. Comments?

Comments?

That I would never in a million years do that, for a product that I still intended to own, from a company that is the only one that provides support for it and that has a CEO that has proven to be vindictive.

Whats the BEST possible outcome? You get your car "prioritized" by someone rushing a part for your car, AND you get your account branded on the back end of teslas systems as a troublemaker.

You will never get "good will" on anything, and everyone in tesla will see notes in your account that specify that you are to be supported "exactly how the warranties describe", or said another way, you will only get "what they have to do" instead of "what they CAN do" which is almost never the same thing in any organization.

Whats the WORST possible outcome? Your delivery date doesnt change, and your account gets branded the same way above.

I have no knowledge of teslas internal policies, but I have either performed, or managed people who perform customer service for my entire working career (and I am in my 50s). If people think "there is no way the above description happens" I am here to tell you that "problem customers" absolutely get marked and identified by any customer service organization, and a writing campaign, emailing a bunch of executives and news organizations would absolutely mark you as a "problem customer".

So, "comments" are, dont do it, if you intend on buying the car anyway, from a single source manufacturer that also performs all service. A smear campaign (which is what you are advocating) will just brand you.

Just my opinion though, you gotta do whatever you think makes you happy in this regard.

Perhaps Tesla should pull the part for a used car as a temporary solution so you can at least get in the road or provide you with a loaner.

That would be assuming they have a lot full of used teslas to pull these parts from, and enough of those to put in all the new cars in this situation (which they absolutely dont).

Its like people think tesla is rubbing their hands together and saying ""mwahahaha we got them right where we want them, they want to buy the car but we are super enjoying holding it hostage for a while. We dont want to sell it. We will wait and sell it to them for.. 1 meeellllionnnn dollars!"

Austin-Powers-Mike-Myers-as-Dr-Evil.jpeg

Tesla wants those cars sold too, they dont want them sitting around, they dont have space to store a bunch of inventory, and they want the money from the sales. Talking about it here can be cathartic, I get that (which is why I stickied a thread that was talking about the exact same topic in the model 3 subforum), but a smear campaign wont accomplish anything positive for the person spearheading it.

It will definitely cause damage. Staying below ~10% for an extended period of time can cause significant degradation. If it goes to zero the battery is bricked.

Thats assuming it gets that low, with none of the car powered. Powerwalls can sit for weeks / months without running down to zero, if they are not connected to anything.

So, I dont think thats a cut and dried answer. If the car was actually losing 1-2 miles a day like regular teslas that are not using sentry mode or other things that drain the battery, it would probably quite a while before there is any damage. Certainly, a month sitting there wont do anything.

So what do we do, if a car has no port ECU , it's been delivered to the center. Say it's been on the road trailer and in transit v2 weeks and then sits there another couple of weeks awaiting parts. Should the car be refused. Or even worse what happens if we are not told the truth about what is going on just told it's a delay in delivery. What is the view?

So what do we do, if a car has no port ECU , it's been delivered to the center. Say it's been on the road trailer and in transit v2 weeks and then sits there another couple of weeks awaiting parts. Should the car be refused. Or even worse what happens if we are not told the truth about what is going on just told it's a delay in delivery. What is the view?

First, this is an expensive purchase, so whatever you think is right for YOU is what is right for YOU. With that being said, if the car was made with the battery at, lets say, 60%, that would be 180 miles on a model 3 performance. It will likely lose 1-2 miles a day, no more than that because its not powering anything. Thats 60 miles in a month.

Once the car hits 20% left (roughly 60 miles or 2 months at 2 miles lost a day, so likely 2 to 2.5 months), it will go into a low power state and drain will likely decrease to 1 mile a day or less. So, there is probably 3 months or more before the car gets to any sort of issue with the battery, and thats assuming "everything is connected as normal", and the car started with a 60% battery, not more, like 70 or 80%.

I am assuming the battery would be around 60% to start but thats just spitballing something. Its unlikely to be less than 50% to start though.

So, there is likely no battery issue, but that wont stop people from stressing about it (I would likely stress about it as well if it were my car that was in that situation, before sitting down and thinking about it and coming to the conclusion I just posted above).

Now, again, I am not a tesla insider, just a volunteer here at TMC. As I also said, "the right choice for you is the one that makes you happy (happier)". If refusing the car and going back in line is what does that, then thats what you should do. If its canceling the order and buying an ICE vehicle instead, do that.

You (and everyone else) needs to make the right choice for themselves, and whatever that is, is the right one for you. What usually isnt the right choice however is what the OP of this thread was suggesting, for the reasons I already laid out. Much better to either wait, or not (and move onto some other brand / vehicle), or vent here to / with other people in the same situation, than it would be to try some public smear campaign and still purchase the car.

Far better to simply wait, and reject the car and get back in line if you still want one, or anything else that isnt a smear campaign.

I will tell you that I have had an issue with Subaru, and the only way to get them to move on it was to get NBC involved, and a series of external experts.

Do they have me marked as a troublemaker, sure. Are they anything but non-supportive of their customer, you bet. (Sold me a car with a bad engine, and refused to fix it… well, until they realized it was about to blow up in their face as a local NBC story.)

[ Insert Fitzgerald Subaru purposely overfilling the crankcase with oil to screw consumption test, Subaru ignoring the customer and 3rd party experts, Subaru not supporting their customers, attorney involvement, the Maryland Attorney General…. ]

I see Subaru commericals and want to puke over the “feel the love” crap.

In stark contrast, my M3 has been fantastic. …and we’ll see what the MYP I’m picking up today is like.

Everyone is short on parts right now… it’s just how it is.

Last edited:
That I would never in a million years do that, for a product that I still intended to own, from a company that is the only one that provides support for it and that has a CEO that has proven to be vindictive.

Whats the BEST possible outcome? You get your car "prioritized" by someone rushing a part for your car, AND you get your account branded on the back end of teslas systems as a troublemaker.

You will never get "good will" on anything, and everyone in tesla will see notes in your account that specify that you are to be supported "exactly how the warranties describe", or said another way, you will only get "what they have to do" instead of "what they CAN do" which is almost never the same thing in any organization.

Whats the WORST possible outcome? Your delivery date doesnt change, and your account gets branded the same way above.

I have no knowledge of teslas internal policies, but I have either performed, or managed people who perform customer service for my entire working career (and I am in my 50s). If people think "there is no way the above description happens" I am here to tell you that "problem customers" absolutely get marked and identified by any customer service organization, and a writing campaign, emailing a bunch of executives and news organizations would absolutely mark you as a "problem customer".

So, "comments" are, dont do it, if you intend on buying the car anyway, from a single source manufacturer that also performs all service. A smear campaign (which is what you are advocating) will just brand you.

Just my opinion though, you gotta do whatever you think makes you happy in this regard.
I think it also is a bad idea - to fight Tesla - my order for basic m3. Has Already delayed once - before I ordered Tesla I made a few visits to “empty” car showrooms at Toyota - Subaru - BMW.

The bmw sales rep was so rude not to even call me back about a 2 series -

Closing of factories - parts shortages - and huge demand. All account
for all of us waiting for a Tesla.

I test drove a 3 performance as no basic cars we’re available for testing - the Tesla rep suggested the “chill “ mode as my order was for less powerful rear wheel - so that’s my advise to you : CHILL

Not really the point, will the car be damaged or it's life shortened.?
Yes, it absolutely will damage the battery if left below ~10% for an extended period of time. I'm not sure why it is difficult for folks to simply acknowledge that in the context of this thread.

The real question is what is the likelihood that it will get that low waiting for the part to be installed? Hard to say because nobody knows what the state of charge is when the vehicle shows up at the delivery center and I highly doubt that it is being monitored.

Tesla's own documentation says expect to lose ~1% of range per day when parked (more if sentry and other features are active).

It could be a non-issue if the car is charged to say, 80% SOC when dropped off - that would give you 2+ months before you need to worry. Or, it could be a concern if it is dropped off with ~30% SOC - that would yield a few weeks to month or so before you hit 10%.