Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time for me to upgrade!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. I'm kind of "stuck" (for lack of a better word, it's not a bad thing) in my P85. The new P85D configured as close to my current car as possible is tens of thousands of dollars more than I paid for my P85, and while impressive, that's a lot for an additional 0.7s speedup. I wouldn't get one without the Next Generation seats, but I also wouldn't get one with leather seats, so I'm out of luck there. And they eliminated the center LATCH, which is brilliant on my car. When I bought my P85 I was so excited because it checked absolutely ever box on my Want List. It's disappointing that I can no longer buy a Tesla that does.
That said, they're all fantastic cars. I'm jealous of those who can upgrade :smile:

Yea to be completely honest what I'd love to have is a P85+ with auto pilot... to me that's the magical unicorn of rarity...

I remember watching your delivery video when I was waiting for ours. Those first few months of slow deliveries were agonizing. Then all of a sudden I got an email "would you like your car before the end of the year". We said yes and got ours December 22, 2012.

The deed is done! I picked up the car two days ago. I'll write up a blog post on it for sure -- but wow. Love the seats. Love the AWD (it's effectively faster than my P85 - especially when launching and especially when launching as you're turning (e.g. turning right at a stop sign and flooring it). Lots of nice refinements. The car feels more solid (whether that's because it's new or because it's improved, who knows ...). It's more efficient (my wphm is easily 30 less than before). I miss the space lost from the front motor ... I didn't get the upgraded sound -- which I certainly notice but for $2500 it's not worth it to me. TACC (and eventually auto-steer) is so nice to have. Anyway, those are initial reactions. More to come.

The deed is done! I picked up the car two days ago. I'll write up a blog post on it for sure -- but wow. Love the seats. Love the AWD (it's effectively faster than my P85 - especially when launching and especially when launching as you're turning (e.g. turning right at a stop sign and flooring it). Lots of nice refinements. The car feels more solid (whether that's because it's new or because it's improved, who knows ...). It's more efficient (my wphm is easily 30 less than before). I miss the space lost from the front motor ... I didn't get the upgraded sound -- which I certainly notice but for $2500 it's not worth it to me. TACC (and eventually auto-steer) is so nice to have. Anyway, those are initial reactions. More to come.

Congrats Cinergi!

If you get a chance to swing by a SpC, make sure to log your session.

Will do. I tested SPC just to make sure it worked and noted 43 kW at 75% SoC

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic, Ben! Congrats. Pics please.

Definitely. I'm working on a blog post which'll include some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Are people feeling a lack of information on current cars? A void that I could try to fill like I did when Model S first came out? I'm happy to take pics, video, log SuperCharger data, etc. if that info isn't readily available...

I went back and forth quite a bit on whether to get the P90D or the 90D. The first time around, I always regretted not doing the P85 (darn loaner cars ;)), but it was only $10k difference. The 90D acceleration "feels" like the P85 to me, except with better traction.

The other problem is once I was at P90D, I would "have" to add the Ludicrous mode, so it's really a $30k difference. Plus another $1000 a year in insurance.

I think the 90D is perfect for me. I pick it up tomorrow, I can't wait. :)

I went back and forth quite a bit on whether to get the P90D or the 90D. The first time around, I always regretted not doing the P85 (darn loaner cars ;)), but it was only $10k difference. The 90D acceleration "feels" like the P85 to me, except with better traction.

The other problem is once I was at P90D, I would "have" to add the Ludicrous mode, so it's really a $30k difference. Plus another $1000 a year in insurance.

I think the 90D is perfect for me. I pick it up tomorrow, I can't wait. :)

Yeah the 90D is faster to me than my P85 (partly because of traction). Between losing some range and the very high cost of going P90D or DL, I'm VERY happy with my decision. And I'm an acceleration / g-force junkie.

I'm working on a blog write-up (... I notice I said that 3 weeks ago ... wow! Time flies), though it probably won't contain stuff like SpC taper curve. I can try to do that -- it's just a matter of finding the time and getting my car to a low enough SoC for me to gather that info. I will be taking a 3,000 mile road trip over the holidays so that'll provide plenty of details but that's 2 months away.
Anyway, I continue to be very happy with the decision. I clearly need to find the time to finish this write-up :) (these things take me 8+ hours of work to complete) I'm always so busy these days! I am also trying to find an economical solution towards making in-car video that gets good coverage of the road, the 17", the steering wheel, and the IC so I can post that stuff. Not easy.

Best wishes on this Ben.

To each his or her own. I've given thought to doing the same thing but as I have no interest whatsoever in even more acceleration (my P85 is all that I need and more on that score) or Autopilot, and as my car is modded just the way I want it and therefore quite distinctive, I'm going to hang on to it for a long time.

Best wishes on this Ben.

To each his or her own. I've given thought to doing the same thing but as I have no interest whatsoever in even more acceleration (my P85 is all that I need and more on that score) or Autopilot, and as my car is modded just the way I want it and therefore quite distinctive, I'm going to hang on to it for a long time.

I'm lucky in that I'll get the best of both worlds. I think the Sig just "fits like a glove" after ~65k miles and feels solid in my hands, still crazy fun to drive. The Model X is a P90D, though, and we'll have the crazy acceleration there.

Thanks for a good read, cinergi. It's interesting to see what you changed, having intimate experience of the P85 before you reordered.
i know what you mean about the solidity of the car- as Tesla gets better as a car-maker, they're getting better all the time, the Model Ss, and we don't hear about many of the small but positive and appreciated changes that are happening all time....