Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time For Some Destination Chargers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to hear bbamrah! Elecblue, could you send/call those locations and voice your desire for charging infrastructure, telling them about the Tesla HPWC program(if you are unsure what I'm talking about let me know), and then post contact info here in case anyone else would like to stay there and thus rally for chargers. Potential customers are much more exciting to these businesses then just some guy just passionate about it.

Interesting map dbfish, have you visited all of those chargers?

We may be at 2/20 locations found for the goal!

I would normally be happy to assist with this, but I sold my car (delivery to buyer in March) and will be moving to Singapore in 2 months. If there aren't any J-plugs when I get back (sometime in 2016) in the places I mentioned, I'll make some calls then and get the ball rolling.

By the way, Beaver Island is bigger than you might think - something like 4-5 miles wide and over 12 miles long. So I could see the need for a J-plug there.

I sent a note to Tesla about the Destination Charger program and received the following response:

"Thank you for reaching out. Here are the high level details:
Tesla has begun offering discounted High Power Wall Connectors to destinations (hotels, resorts, restaurants, etc.) that provide charging to our mutual customers.
There are two basic scenarios:
-For locations that are able to install one or more connectors in a prominent location on the property, we are willing to offer the connectors for free.
-For locations where installation isn't feasible near the entrance or other visible area, Tesla is willing to offer a 30% discount on the connector(s).
If you know of an enthusiastic employee at an hotel or other destination where you would like to spend some time, please do introduce us! All it usually takes is one influential person in the organization to push these installations through."

I am hoping for a public charger in Corpus Christi, TX. I would prefer CHAdeMO as I am planning to share an adapter with another Tesla owner in Houston. I didn't get the twin chargers because there are so few high amperage level 2 public chargers in TX. There are several CHAdeMO chargers in Houston and Dallas.

I have been pushing for a public charging option at the Delaware Beach Resorts. Huge destination for Philadelphia Baltimore, and DC residents during the summer and becoming a year round location for amazing restaurants. Who is the person to speak with at TM about the destination charging program?

I sent a note to Tesla about the Destination Charger program and received the following response:

"Thank you for reaching out. Here are the high level details:
Tesla has begun offering discounted High Power Wall Connectors to destinations (hotels, resorts, restaurants, etc.) that provide charging to our mutual customers.
There are two basic scenarios:
-For locations that are able to install one or more connectors in a prominent location on the property, we are willing to offer the connectors for free.
-For locations where installation isn't feasible near the entrance or other visible area, Tesla is willing to offer a 30% discount on the connector(s).
If you know of an enthusiastic employee at an hotel or other destination where you would like to spend some time, please do introduce us! All it usually takes is one influential person in the organization to push these installations through."
This doesn't really make sense to me. As has been documented many times on this forum, placing charging stations in desirable parking spots, particularly near entrances, greatly increases the likelihood of ICEing. Since L2 charging really only makes sense for a car like a Tesla if it's going to be there several hours or overnight, there's not much advantage to having the spot near the entrance etc. Such spots are often reserved for short term use like dropping people and luggage off, take out parking, valet service etc.

I suppose the point to this is to make the Tesla name and cars visible as a form of advertising, but I'm doubtful it's the best way to increase destination charging opportunities.

I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge/indoor water park in Williamsburg, VA yesterday. They were very accommodating, offering a few different 20 amp outlets (slow but still 33% faster than a 15 amp and good for an overnight charge). I saw the post referencing Great Wolf above. As a company, they me be a good one to lobby for destination chargers. They have 12 locations around the US primarily midwest and east coast. They have a program called Project Green Wolf which promotes the things they do to minimize the environmental impact of their operations:

Celebrating Our Project Green Wolf Efforts - Great Wolf 360 | Great Wolf Resorts

I plan to write them to encourage the development of improved charging facilities at their resorts and would encourage other customers or potential customers to do the same.

I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge/indoor water park in Williamsburg, VA yesterday. They were very accommodating, offering a few different 20 amp outlets (slow but still 33% faster than a 15 amp and good for an overnight charge). I saw the post referencing Great Wolf above. As a company, they me be a good one to lobby for destination chargers. They have 12 locations around the US primarily midwest and east coast. They have a program called Project Green Wolf which promotes the things they do to minimize the environmental impact of their operations:

Celebrating Our Project Green Wolf Efforts - Great Wolf 360 | Great Wolf Resorts

I plan to write them to encourage the development of improved charging facilities at their resorts and would encourage other customers or potential customers to do the same.

Thanks for the report on Great Wolf Lodge and the pic you posted on another thread. I am heading down there May 31st and would be great if the already have a Destination Charging solution provided by Tesla.

Just for giggles, I may mention I know the guy who started the first Great Wolf Lodge. He sold it, but Mr. Waterman is a very nice Gentleman.

Great News! However I just stumbled onto this thread while wondering if Tesla ever installed a "destination charger". I wish they would publish where they are located. I gave them info on 2 or 3 spots that they should install but never knew if they were done.

I'd rather see destinations install 80amp J1772 stations (like the Clipper Creek CS100) instead of HPWCs. Hotels should be supporting all EVs (and Roadster owners!), not limiting access to Model S only.

While I agree in principle and have suggested a similar route to at least one hotel I frequent. I completely understand that a FREE HPWC, with similar specs to the unit your talking about, from a hotel owners perspective is a much easier sell. Can't fault them for that. Plus now with the patents freed up, whats to prevent someone from making an adapter that makes Tesla connectors reverse compatible to J1772 only cars? We probably aren't at a place where it makes sense, and it's going to take some serious adoption from hotels to get there but I would love to see it happen!