Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from "in production" to UK delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. On average from production start to delivery to the UK, it takes 65 days but it can vary between 58 and 76 days depending on when the next ship is going to leave. You can find a few examples on this spreadsheet. If you look at cells S4, S26, S31, S41, S50, they show 59, 54, 72, 68 and 53 days. These are from production end to delivery.

Please can you tell me how long it took from getting your In production notice on my Tesla to picking up your car?
Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew, The spreadsheet above is useful but most of the cars on it were delivered sometime ago. The journey can be estimated once you are out of production and the My Tesla status has changed to "in transit to the port". It takes about 14 days to get to Houston, it's not precise as "in transit" doesn't mean you are actually on a train, you could be sitting in a container waiting to be loaded. The My Tesla is not automatically updated so could be a day or two or three behind real time as well.

Once in transit have a look the Maersk shipping schedule from Houston. Pic here:
E5A40DA4-42D3-4E7D-8C45-F256E6932EE5.large.JPG

You should be able to work out which ship you are likely to be, and this will be confirmed when your My Tesla status changes to "loaded onto a vessel. You can then track the vessel - I know I am currently sitting on the Maersk Missouri which berthed this morning at Norfolk Virginia and is heading across the pond tomorrow morning. That takes about a week, so will arrive in Europe at the beginning of Feb. I am not sure whether the cars come of at Antwerp or a day later in Rotterdam. A day or two to Tilburg.

Once at Tilburg predictions become a little more difficult as they are now doing the PDI's (badly if you read the Facebook Groups comments) and the Model X deliveries seem to caused a few logistical problems. Some parts issue to (strange if all they are doing is attaching the battery pack and motors?)

To summarise, my journey from Fremont started on the 2nd Jan and my DS has intimated delivery w/e 3rd March.

I hope this helps!

• Love
Reactions: Tanflado
Please can you tell me how long it took from getting your In production notice on my Tesla to picking up your car?
Thanks,
Andrew
Hi AFDYCE good news about your X. MY 60D X is also in production for a couple of days so I bet our cars will be travelling together. I seem to recall your car was ordered around the same time as mine so this all makes sense. I actually think we have gone into production a week earlier than I was advised as the earliest so this is good news. Lets hope we are lucky on the transportation side once complete and have a fast cross county move to the boat.

Hi all,

Think my MX 60D will probably be in the same boat as well as I noticed it went into production on MyTesla yesterday! From looking at the above I'm guessing it will complete production some time mid next week and start the long journey over the pond. Exciting times!

My delivery guy told me that production for My S 60D would be 9th Jan and My Tesla showed in production about 5 days later so I am not sure if there is a delay in inputting to MyTesla or the producion was a few days late. It is currently showing "in transit to port" and has been for a week or so. I guess it will arrive in Antwerp late February.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the even though My Tesla was updated yesterday that there was probably a lag in updating and production was actually started on Monday...
I am inclined to agree with you it looks like our 60d x are part of a run. From the info I received from the guy who runs deliveries for Western Europe they are a week earlier than scheduled. I know they are really late but if the shipping from the factory runs smooth we still might be in with a shout on an end of march delivery. Also autopilot 2 will have had 2 months of improvements .

I am inclined to agree with you it looks like our 60d x are part of a run. From the info I received from the guy who runs deliveries for Western Europe they are a week earlier than scheduled. I know they are really late but if the shipping from the factory runs smooth we still might be in with a shout on an end of march delivery. Also autopilot 2 will have had 2 months of improvements .

Great news that you are in production, at long last! I'm sure you'll be in transit in time for the boat leaving on the 19th Feb, probably a bit optimistic to get the one on the 12th but it's not impossible. Either way they will do their very best to squeeze delivery in before the end of March. Irrespective of the VED issue which seems to have been overcome, they will want to maximise figures for the end of Q1, and only cars that have been delivered count.

MyTesla was updated on January 24th that my car was loaded onto a vessel. Had a quick look and I think it must have been loaded onto the Maersk Carolina. Actual location of the vessel can be tracked here: MAERSK CAROLINA - Container Ship - Details and current position IMO 9155133 MMSI 369233000 | Vessels | VesselFinder

Who else is on this boat?
I'm on the same boat! I reciev d the same update as you on the 24th! Also just had an email to confirm it will be in the U.K. Ready for delivery Late Feb early March.....

I'm on the same boat! I reciev d the same update as you on the 24th! Also just had an email to confirm it will be in the U.K. Ready for delivery Late Feb early March.....

That's good news indeed! I'm in the boat that's a few days ahead of you (Maersk Missouri) and I (plus a few others) are getting the vibes from DS's that the 1-3 March will be the earliest delivery dates, so I suspect the back end of w/c 6th March would be the most likely for you.

Trying to avoid the manic dash at the end of March would be ideal I think! Going to be pretty busy with everyone ordering to beat the VED change (although it seems they may have a way round this).

IMG_0883.JPG
Great news S_B My Tesla now shows my car has been built and is in transit from our Fremont factory to the port within the United States.
I am inclined to believe the car was finished last week and may already be onroute as I think the My Tesla is slow to update. Lets hope so. Based on what DJP31 said we stand a reasonable chance on getting on the boat that leaves on the 12th February crossing my fingers :)
on a lighter note just looked at my cup on my desk my wife made for me for Christmas based on the siri advert with cookiemonster....
STILL WAITING :)

View attachment 212618 Great news S_B My Tesla now shows my car has been built and is in transit from our Fremont factory to the port within the United States.
I am inclined to believe the car was finished last week and may already be onroute as I think the My Tesla is slow to update. Lets hope so. Based on what DJP31 said we stand a reasonable chance on getting on the boat that leaves on the 12th February crossing my fingers :)
on a lighter note just looked at my cup on my desk my wife made for me for Christmas based on the siri advert with cookiemonster....
STILL WAITING :)
Great news, guess we'll be on the same boat then!

When they arrive in Europe, what is the final assembly work that takes place, as simple as putting on a few stickers, or do they arrive minus doors that need to be fitted - jsut interested to know.

As I understand it they arrive minus the battery pack and motors, which travel separately. This ensures the cars can be shipped as "parts" and avoid EU import duty. Once assembled the cars are tested on the indoor track, PDI'd and then off to the port at Zeebrugge. The transit time from Fremont to delivery is supposed to be 8-10 weeks ish.

There have been delays with the X, seemingly to do with parts, which suggests it's more than battery and motors. They also had logistical problems with transporting them to the UK, something to do with the size of them and the containers they use.

I remain unconvinced of the thoroughness of the PDI (which has moved from the SC's to Tilburg) as there are still plenty of reports of less than satisfactory handover experiences.

It's been a couple of weeks since I was told by Tesla that production was complete on my Model X and it was making its way from the factory to a US port. I'm finding myself checking MyTesla for a new update everyday as I'm guessing it will get loaded onto a ship sometime soon.

Any ideas how long in takes on average from factory to port?