Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from Standard to Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am always seeing 277 miles at standard charge and it drops to 275 after a few hours. My range charges are at 315 miles and drop to about 310 ( the time I let it sit for a few hours before leaving) I think It was taking about 1 1/2 hours to finish before I drove on Friday. and the last bit was at a lower power level of charge

I will be doing a range charge on wednesday morning and will try to update my time #
I plan on a standard charge over night and then a range charge in the morning while we are getting ready to leave

I left home this morning with a full standard charge, then drove 6 miles (running errands) and stopped at a Walgreen's to try the ChargePoint J1772 connector just for fun. Set my car for a Range charge, plugged in and watched the display. It showed "1 hour" to fully charged, at 30A/210V.

Was pretty happy to verify my J1772 adapter and ChargePoint card work as documented, and to verify 1 hours @ 9kW for the Range charge.

It is about 1 hour from nearly full standard to nearly full range with a 40A connection via NEMA14-50 and UMC.

I think it slows down at 97% full, but is running at about the usual rate from 90-97%.

I do the standard charge overnight then use range change at about an hour before leaving when I'm going to be pushing the mileage. Seems to work well.

I am always seeing 277 miles at standard charge and it drops to 275 after a few hours. My range charges are at 315 miles and drop to about 310 ( the time I let it sit for a few hours before leaving) I think It was taking about 1 1/2 hours to finish before I drove on Friday. and the last bit was at a lower power level of charge

I will be doing a range charge on wednesday morning and will try to update my time #
I plan on a standard charge over night and then a range charge in the morning while we are getting ready to leave

Wow, does the car adjust the miles remaining based on driving habits? 277 is a lot! Mine is always somewhere between 242 and 237 in the morning after a standard charge.

It is thought to be easier on the battery to not sit at a full charge for a long time. Also, you would minimize any vampire drain from when charge is complete to when you take off for your trip.

Yes, the vampire drain! I'm planning a long trip in a week, and this is what I plan to do. When I do a range charge overnight, it finishes at around 2am @ 273 miles, and by the time I am ready to leave it is down to 260 or so.