Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from Standard to Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In another thread (cold weather battery drain or some such), I've noted my car has been initiating charge at 230 miles rated range every night (takes about 26 hours to lose 10 miles). This is in a garage at about 55F ambient, MC at 240/40, software 4.1, and sleep mode off.

This is no different then with smart phones. Once you phone hits 100% charge, the battery goes into a maintenance mode and cycles up and down a bit. Apple hides this just by adjusting the percentage stage 95-100% always displays as 100% to the user.

as a result sometimes when you remove your phone from the charger it shows 100% charge for awhile, other times it almost immediately drops to 99% because it happened to be lower in the cycle at the time.

Tesla just doesn't hide this fact (for now) while charging.

I can now confirm that re-initiation does happen with 4.1. I don't have very granular numbers, but overnight i saw 234 rated and now in the morning it is at 239. I have not unplugged the car since Tuesday at 6pm. i will try to get some more data points, as it will remain plugged in until Sunday afternoon.

I saw as low as 233 at one point, but starting then it went into sleep mode. This was sometime around 48 hours after the car was plugged in continuously. It was the first time I've ever seen the car in sleep mode (with the wait for the screen to power up). I'm glad it's not two hours, but I'm surprised it goes to sleep mode at all when you select to not use sleep mode. If it's plugged in, I wish it wouldn't.