Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time from VIN to delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MSM, PUP, no FSD mid-May. Source code revealed VIN about a week ago. Called service center and they couldn’t find the VIN. Ping’d again yesterday and said I have a VIN (same as in source code) but no delivery date available. Said via text “please be patient as we get your Model Y for you very soon.“. Also stated “You’ll get a text when the vehicle is en route to local pickup center to trigger scheduling an actual delivery day.”

Anyone had an educated guess on timing from Tesla confirming VIN to delivery?

I ordered a MSM, PUP, no FSD mid-May. Source code revealed VIN about a week ago. Called service center and they couldn’t find the VIN. Ping’d again yesterday and said I have a VIN (same as in source code) but no delivery date available. Said via text “please be patient as we get your Model Y for you very soon.“. Also stated “You’ll get a text when the vehicle is en route to local pickup center to trigger scheduling an actual delivery day.”

Anyone had an educated guess on timing from Tesla confirming VIN to delivery?
Excuse my ignorance, but what is "source Code" and how do I access it?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "source Code" and how do I access it?

Source code is basically a bunch of text written in a way a computer can understand and then convert into something humans can understand (like this page). A program's code is called "source code", but its a broad term that can be applied to both compied and non compiled code.

To view it press CTRL+U on keyboard or right click and select "view source".

When on tesla.com and logged into your account, click Manage, once the page loads view source (CTRL+U) and then search (CTRL+F) for "5YJ" thats start of a VIN number for Tesla.

For some reason VIN shows up in source before it shows on the page (probably something with the backend). But sometimes it can dissapear. I had a vin in source yesterday, its gone today.

Source code is basically a bunch of text written in a way a computer can understand and then convert into something humans can understand (like this page). A program's code is called "source code", but its a broad term that can be applied to both compied and non compiled code.

To view it press CTRL+U on keyboard or right click and select "view source".

When on tesla.com and logged into your account, click Manage, once the page loads view source (CTRL+U) and then search (CTRL+F) for "5YJ" thats start of a VIN number for Tesla.

For some reason VIN shows up in source before it shows on the page (probably something with the backend). But sometimes it can dissapear. I had a vin in source yesterday, its gone today.
Thank you.

if you follow the spreadsheet you will notice that delivery times are directly proportional to the distance to Fremont , California Factory. The farther east you are the longer your delivery time. Hence, "the Bay area is one day", PA will most likely be one to two weeks.

How would you know if your vin isn't someone else's refused car?

After I rejected my Y the SC very openly told me that car would simply be assign it to the next in line (truly shocking as the car was really bad). I asked SC how I can be sure I dont get someone else's reject and his reply was that they'd make a note against my RN that my next VIN come from factory as opposed to an SC transfer.
I do wonder how many rejects get assigned and rejected multiple times and whether the complaints here are a small population of cars that just go victim to victim. But clearly people have accepted obvious mismatched paint cars as they post here.

So bottom line.... you wont know and should inspect carefully before taking delivery.

After I rejected my Y the SC very openly told me that car would simply be assign it to the next in line (truly shocking as the car was really bad). I asked SC how I can be sure I dont get someone else's reject and his reply was that they'd make a note against my RN that my next VIN come from factory as opposed to an SC transfer.
I do wonder how many rejects get assigned and rejected multiple times and whether the complaints here are a small population of cars that just go victim to victim. But clearly people have accepted obvious mismatched paint cars as they post here.

So bottom line.... you wont know and should inspect carefully before taking delivery.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
I will have hawk eyes
But Be sensible. I purchased an escalade platinum 2016 brand new.
Foam was bulging out the vent.
Paint dull spot on trunk.
Tesla also may have some of these but let me tell you what Tesla doesn't have.
My escalade to this day rides with a buffering noise that effect numerous owners
And more that ill leave out.
Tesla at least isn't that

I ordered my MY LR on June 26, with an estimated 4-8 weeks, and will take delivery on July 22. In Virginia. Very impressive turnaround time. Kind of surprised me. In a good way!

Ordered mine on 7/4 LR White/Black Gemini..received VIN today 10xxx, which I suspect may be someone else's reject. Since I live 325 miles RT to the delivery center, I will call the Brentwood center and see if I can get more info b4 making a trip to inspect someone else's reject.

Ordered mine on 7/4 LR White/Black Gemini..received VIN today 10xxx, which I suspect may be someone else's reject. Since I live 325 miles RT to the delivery center, I will call the Brentwood center and see if I can get more info b4 making a trip to inspect someone else's reject.
Vin does sound low ..
Can you ask your Advisor where is the car now. Hopefully he days Fremont

Ordered first PUP on 3/143/2019, and second on 6/4/2020. Second one came in first, taking delivery 6/30 with a VIN 235xx. First one (yes paid for both) was to have been Picked up 7/5, and yes, Tesla owes me refund of $ 70K (they could not apply the first payment for the 3/14 payment made mid June 20 to the second vehicle...but the second was available..both had vins...first one was in the 113xx range.

I’d see if you can get them to tell you the build date. The VINs are somewhat random. Last year my May M3D had a very low vin but had been built the week before.

VIN to delivery is random. Some get a VIN then a car 2 weeks later. I got a VIN then a car delivered less than 24 hours later.

Depends on when during the quarter is. If someone refused delivery (without looking at the car but for other reasons COVID etc, so the VIN becomes available and you are matched to it and the car is already at the center or on the way there).

Lots of variables.

Received VIN Friday, July 10 on Model Y, White, Induction Wheels and B&W Interior: Paid in full Saturday.

For San Antonio SC, what have others experienced as wait time between VIN and Payment and Delivery? Thanks!
I’d see if you can get them to tell you the build date. The VINs are somewhat random. Last year my May M3D had a very low vin but had been built the week before.
Called the SC today. Build date was May 2020, so my belief is that this was rejected by someone else... I just placed my order last week so I told them to cancel the VIN and I can go back in the loop. She asked when I can take delivery and I replied "yesterday," since I'm paying cash but also that I'm not in any hurry. There are alot of customers that have been waiting several months and I don't understand why this continues to happen.

The VIN was 11xxx, May build on the Y I rejected. I'd be very suspicious getting a VIN <20K now in July.
But you might get lucky and get one that's acceptable. 2 months in new car manufacturing isn't enough time to fix much in supply chain, but if Tesla follow their customer forums they could improve QC if they wanted.

Btw, a model X I demoed this year had far worse fit and finish than the Y I rejected and that's 5 years into production....

The VIN was 11xxx, May build on the Y I rejected. I'd be very suspicious getting a VIN <20K now in July.
But you might get lucky and get one that's acceptable. 2 months in new car manufacturing isn't enough time to fix much in supply chain, but if Tesla follow their customer forums they could improve QC if they wanted.

Btw, a model X I demoed this year had far worse fit and finish than the Y I rejected and that's 5 years into production....

Doesn't make sense to me that I ordered a car last week and they are sending me one that was built in May...With the whole end of 2nd quarter push, wouldn't this have been delivered to someone already if there wasn't problems?