Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Electric plan- recommend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After exactly 1 yr owning the M3 my total Electric bill increased $91.88, for the year! That’s 12,500 mi, and I never had free supercharging. The secret was switching to the time of use plan with the local electric company. It’s not for everyone so you have to run your own math. For me, YOY kWh increased 41% due to the car, but the total 12 months of bills only increased 7%, +$91.88. That includes the 1x I supercharged for $3.97. I work from home in Atlanta, so the AC stays on. But with minimal tweaks to when we use high draw appliances in summer weekdays, it can be a great deal. The electric company initially tried to talk me out of it. But I called back last year and switched as a 1 yr experiment, and glad for it. Here, the base rate drops 40%(4.45cents) and stays there 95% of the annual hours. Then weekdays in summer 2-8pm the reg rate jumps 300%. Sounds scary, but clearly the trade worked for me.

Same here. It’s painful to run the a/c during peak hours but it was more than worth it. I drive about 2500mi/mo so the gas savings have been huge. I have racks installed for solar, and will get the panels up this fall, so next summer should be better.