Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of use meter with 2 TWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off - I'm asking this question so I can be prepared and knowledgeable when I speak with the electricians for a quote. I was maybe 70% going to DIY it but now I don't think so.
Second - I'm into my second week living the 110 life and its doable during the weekdays but the weekends are really tough when we roam more and it'll likely be impossible when the winter hits us.

Originally I was going to do a regular install, that is a 60a breaker run to the TWC. Seemed pretty DIYable and straightforward. Then after the first week of owning the car I think I need to be ready for a second vehicle so I thought well lets run 2x 60a circuits. So I start talking to an electrician about putting in 1 TWC and roughing in for a second one. He tells me I should just daisy chain them as they'll load share and I likely don't have enough juice at home. Okay that sounds reasonable. Then he tells me there is also a time of use option in my area but he said it'd be a little difficult to run this with 2x TWC. I checked with the power company and it sounds like that time of use meter needs to be put in by a licensed electrician so its not DIYable?

So that is the backstory. I don't really understand how the time of use meter installation works but my crude understanding is it splits off the main power coming into my house and there is a separate circuit that my EVSE's will wire into. So that circuit will be on a 60a breaker. Then out to a sub panel which splits the circuit into 2 for the two TWC. He said he'll need to put disconnects near each TWC as well per code. Does this all sound right? This was just over the phone talk. Before I talk to anyone else I want to get a better idea of what I'm signing up for and be ready to ask the right questions.

My power comes in on one side of the house, goes into a 200a panel in the basement. Its about 80ft run from there to the other side of the house and out to front wall of the garage. Basically the longest possible run from my breaker box. My basement and garage are both unfinished but the common wall between the two is insulated and sheet rocked for about 8ft on each side coming off the corner.

You need to tell us more about the TOU program your utility has. In general, I don't see why putting your wall connectors on a sub-meter meter should in any way prevent you from using load sharing. However, the install instructions for load sharing don't allow you to "daisy chain" the wall connectors. They still each need a separate breaker, so the electrical install wouldn't really look much different, you would just be able to limit the two wall connectors to something less than 2x48a if your service can't support that.