Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Power Shifting for Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new user and can't start a topic. I have two things to contribute:

1. I'm having two powerwalls installed in December. My rep has told me TOU shifting is now scheduled for "first quarter" next year. Then he said January. A month ago I was told the update would be end of this year. I hope they are getting close.

2. Has anyone actually received a check for their SGIP rebate?

Thanks for any answers to 2., above.

Dan

I'm a new user and can't start a topic. I have two things to contribute:

1. I'm having two powerwalls installed in December. My rep has told me TOU shifting is now scheduled for "first quarter" next year. Then he said January. A month ago I was told the update would be end of this year. I hope they are getting close.

Thanks for any answers to 2., above.

Dan
Welcome to TMC, Dan.

Unfortunately I cannot help with #2 since I did not try to participate in SGIP. I am, however, disappointed to hear about your #1. For me personally, it's not as valuable of a feature in winter as compared to summer, but I'm still awaiting it eagerly.

Don't expect to be able to make money out of installing solar and/or Powerwalls :)

The Power Companies beat you to it.
Whenever my Powerwalls show up I'll be running them without solar and utilizing the mysterious TOU option on the EV rate which allows me to use energy all day long at 11 cents with no tiers. That will have a big impact on reducing my power bill, even with conversion losses. I won mine to not paying much if anything for em. Even if I didn't the SGIP covers a large portion of it.

Whenever my Powerwalls show up I'll be running them without solar and utilizing the mysterious TOU option on the EV rate which allows me to use energy all day long at 11 cents with no tiers. That will have a big impact on reducing my power bill, even with conversion losses. I won mine to not paying much if anything for em. Even if I didn't the SGIP covers a large portion of it.

Which option is that? And which POCO offers that?

Which option is that? And which POCO offers that?
PG&E offers a TOU tariff to owners of electric vehicles, see Making sense of the rates

The upshot is no tiers, and summer/winter kWh rates of $0.454/$0.320 Peak, $0.250/$0.198 Part-Peak, and $0.122/$0.125 Off-Peak. So if you charge your Powerwalls Off-Peak only, and use them for all consumption during Peak and Part-Peak, you get all your electricity for $0.125/kWh or so.

Cheers, Wayne

I talked to my Tesla rep again today. He said TOU functionality is due first Quarter. He said the software isn’t late, but that they are waiting for utility approval.

He said I’d have complete control over when to charge and when to discharge.

Without this functionality I don’t think SGIP makes sense on the face of it.

Still haven’t heard of ANYONE claiming they have a check from SGIP.

i think i have the same question...

In Nevada EV electrical rates are 4-5 cents per kw... year round 24/7 EXCEPT July and August from 2PM to 7PM when it goes to 50 cents per KW... if i didn't work from home this would not be a big deal...

What I wanted to find out is if i got a powerwall (or 2) and installed it... could i run the house off of the Powerwall from 2-7 PM when rates are ridiculous and then recharge the powerwall back to 100% when rates are back at 4 cents...

Is that possible? programmable? Allowable? etc...

Also how can I calculate how much power I would need for that 5 hour window....

I am HOPEFULLY getting a powerwall for free if I get one more referral and I looked into solar and the math just didn't work for me. I thought up this odd scenario but wasn't sure if it makes sense. If not I imagine i could just sell the powerwall and move on...

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

i think i have the same question...

In Nevada EV electrical rates are 4-5 cents per kw... year round 24/7 EXCEPT July and August from 2PM to 7PM when it goes to 50 cents per KW... if i didn't work from home this would not be a big deal...

What I wanted to find out is if i got a powerwall (or 2) and installed it... could i run the house off of the Powerwall from 2-7 PM when rates are ridiculous and then recharge the powerwall back to 100% when rates are back at 4 cents...

Is that possible? programmable? Allowable? etc...

Also how can I calculate how much power I would need for that 5 hour window....

I am HOPEFULLY getting a powerwall for free if I get one more referral and I looked into solar and the math just didn't work for me. I thought up this odd scenario but wasn't sure if it makes sense. If not I imagine i could just sell the powerwall and move on...

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
That should be possible automatically once they release the TOU software update. Some owners manually turn their Powerwall off an on to accomplish that now but hopefully it will be automatically supported soon. Also, you might need more than one Powerwall if you plan on running your entire house off it for that long and have air conditioning or lots of other devices using power during that time.

i have a large older house (good and bad) 4000 sq feet single story in Las Vegas... 2 AC units... other than that running the electricity usage is minimal at that time... how do i know how many i need or how long 1 will last?

Also odd question.. if you win a powerwall do you get the tax credit?

i have a large older house (good and bad) 4000 sq feet single story in Las Vegas... 2 AC units... other than that running the electricity usage is minimal at that time... how do i know how many i need or how long 1 will last?

Also odd question.. if you win a powerwall do you get the tax credit?

You cannot run 2 AC units off a PW. You likely cannot run them off even 2 PWs.

For our install, 3 x PWs was the minimum if we wanted both AC units to be able to draw from them.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
You cannot run 2 AC units off a PW. You likely cannot run them off even 2 PWs.

For our install, 3 x PWs was the minimum if we wanted both AC units to be able to draw from them.

It depends. For a conventional air conditioner, you are right, starting current is 100A and then runs all out at 40A. But a VRF unit or a Greenspeed unit with a variable inverter based compressor can start out at 5 amps, and then grows as demand grows. It's not all on or all off. These units with a bit of control could probably be accommodated by the PW's. Now, very few homes have these installed, but they are growing in popularity because of their efficiency but mostly because they provide better comfort.

It depends. For a conventional air conditioner, you are right, starting current is 100A and then runs all out at 40A.

It's the starting amperage draw, since that is peak, that matters.

Yep, and that is why Tesla has installed soft-start, SureStart, devices on older AC units to reduce the starting current from >100A to a much more reasonable number that the Powerwalls can handle.

Dan
Hey Dan:

I'm very close to getting my SGIP Step 2 check. It's been a long process, not problematic, just a lot process. My setup was just Quantity 2 Powerwall for the "Time of Use Load Shifting" feature. I've been documenting the entire process and the latest update can be found here:

Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get my $9200 check by Christmas because I'm down two final steps, (1) Inspection, and (2) Cutting the Check.

Reactions: abasile