Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time of Use Power Shifting for Powerwall 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Playing only with the reserve level, yes, we've just done that. We are just lazy and afraid to toggle any physical switch with bare hands. Anyway in our case, load management and several adjustment can definitely help to find out the optimal reserve level for PV and PW to completely cover the 2~9PM on-peak and not to discharge during off-peak. Below is the grid usage for one sunny weekday just a few days ago with the reserve set to 75%. In summer, the reserve level will be set lower. Have a nice weekend!
upload_2018-2-9_16-19-30.png

Last edited:
How to optimally control the Powerwall with solar is a fairly complicated question. It's unclear if the future TOU software will allow us enough control, but here is what I think would be best:

If you have solar, NEM, and didn't take the ITC, then ideally you'd like to buy all your energy for consumption at the cheapest rate, and push all your solar production out to the grid at the highest rate. That's my understanding of what is allowed by the California utility tariffs--time shifting of production and consumption, but no straight rate arbitrage.

So as an example with a TOU plan with low, medium, and high rates, and consumption of 20 kWh/day during the medium and high periods, and solar production of 10 kWh/day during the low and medium periods, you'd like 30 kWh of usable storage. That would take 33 kWh to charge up, which you get from 23 kWh of grid energy during the low period and the 10 kWh/day of non-high solar. You'd discharge 10 kWh of that during the high period (time shifted solar production) and the other 20 kWh during the medium and high periods (time shifted consumption). Except you might not need the full 30 kWh of usable storage, as during the medium period you'd want to be both charging from the solar and discharging for consumption, so some of that would net out.

With solar, NEM, and taking the ITC, the situation is simpler, as all you can do is time shift production. So you charge from solar during the low and medium periods, and discharge during the high period (whether for self consumption or not, doesn't matter economically with full NEM). In this situation I'd be tempted to take only 90% of the ITC, so I could charge the Powerwall 10% from the grid (for the round trip losses) and push out my full solar production during the high period.

Cheers, Wayne

1. A PW2 with solar will only charge from solar. You can see that in my chart above./QUOTE]

Not necessarily true. I'm in UK with a solar system and because of a problem with the powerwall waking up when battery% was very low, tesla support set mine to charge from the grid up to 7% when it falls below 5%. See attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180210-075616.jpg
    Screenshot_20180210-075616.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 77
1. A PW2 with solar will only charge from solar.

Definitely not true, it will however charge at a lower rate (Tesla says 1.7kW - mine does around that). See the following, it shows it charging when solar wasn't available and continues even as solar starts generating (see 7:10am onwards to 8:10 when my change on the app caught up with the PW2). Bywong - Enphase/Powerwall2 9.240kW | Live Output

Last edited:
Definitely not true, it will however charge at a lower rate (Tesla says 1.7kW - mine does around that). See the following, it shows it charging when solar wasn't available and continues even as solar starts generating (see 7:10am onwards to 8:10 when my change on the app caught up with the PW2). Bywong - Enphase/Powerwall2 9.240kW | Live Output
I have solar and it absolutely won't be charged from the grid. I think it depends on the region. In US with solar, PW can only be charged by solar.

Reactions: miimura
I have solar and it absolutely won't be charged from the grid. I think it depends on the region. In US with solar, PW can only be charged by solar.

You are right - it depends where in the world you live. From reading previous posts, if you received the US Government rebate for installation it will only charge from solar. I don't know if it is state to state, county to count, city to city if you didn't get the rebate whether or not it will charge from the grid. However, the OP (Original Poster) categorically said it won't charge from the grid - it depends is the answer.

You are right - it depends where in the world you live. From reading previous posts, if you received the US Government rebate for installation it will only charge from solar. I don't know if it is state to state, county to count, city to city if you didn't get the rebate whether or not it will charge from the grid. However, the OP (Original Poster) categorically said it won't charge from the grid - it depends is the answer.
Certainly the behavior depends on firmware and that may vary by region. UK installations, for example, don't have the Backup Gateway with integral transfer switch. I would say with some degree of confidence that PowerWall 2 installations in California that include solar will not charge from the grid.

Energy Advisor at Tesla store yesterday insisted that all software is now in place to do time of use shifting. I have an order in for two PowerWall units to specifically do that. Here in SoCal, peak is an amazing $.48/kWh vs $.12 at night, so....
I really wish Tesla would just shut up and get it done. Sell and lead by what they accomplished instead of promises of what will come that keeps missing delivery dates.

Realistically imo under NEM, it's a better deal to beat TOU with just more PV panels even when TOU is not aligned with solar hours. Batteries can then focus on non-solar hours and off-grid.

Last edited:
it's a better deal to beat TOU with just more PV panels

Not at my latitude ... in Winter at least.

In Winter I have 10% Solar output compared to Summer peak (so basically "not useful for anything", particularly as we use more electricity in Winter than Summer - no need for AirCon in Summer, but in Winter longer nights, more lighting, more heating - including pumps for circulation of heating water). My electricity is discounted 50% from Midnight to 7AM. PowerWall of no benefit to me without controls to charge overnight, discharge during day, and balance predictions for solar gain against how much reserve I might keep for a power cut - mostly, here, they are relatively short, either a few seconds when a sub-station trips, or a couple of hours to repair a cable hit by a mechanical digger. For any longer outage I'll use a generator; for me that sort of storm is once a decade, or less. being able to charge Powerwall from Generator (plus Solar) would be a huge help, because I could size generator for 24 hour running, and use battery for peak, rather than size generator for peak load.

• Informative
Reactions: NuShrike
Energy Advisor at Tesla store yesterday insisted that all software is now in place to do time of use shifting. I have an order in for
what a bold faced lie. They were telling me the same thing a year ago when I was ordering, only the install crew would tell the real state of things.

It is possible that the capability is in the app, yet no one has the firmware that would unlock it as far as we know here.

@Frankman60 - are your SDG&E rates really that high with such a wide spread? Here in PG&E territory with EV-TOU, we have roughly $0.32 Peak, $0.20 Part Peak and $0.13 Off Peak.
That is the summer spread of SDG&E EV-TOU2 plan summer rates (June 1st - October 31st). Winter rates are a more "reasonable" $0.248 peak/ $0.229 super off peak.

At least with the Powerwalls we will not be using any of the $0.54 electricity.

These are the Summer rates that are applicable 5 months of the year. I suppose the rates are that high because SDG&E can get away with rates that high. I have heard that the employees at SDG&E are paid very well. After reading many posts on this forum where others have posted their rates, I’m wondering if SDG&E rates are higher than any other rates in the US, except perhaps Hawaii?

@Frankman60 - are your SDG&E rates really that high with such a wide spread? Here in PG&E territory with EV-TOU, we have roughly $0.32 Peak, $0.20 Part Peak and $0.13 Off Peak.