Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time on track with battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! Currently waiting on my m3sr. Once appon a time I did some track days with a e30 bmw I had and a worked wrx before that. Did some 1/4 stuff way back. Anyway with kids and building a new race toy I haven’t been on the track in years. I would love to take the m3sr out just to scratch the itch. A track day is a big to do for my as it’s a long way away.

so, how much of a day do you guys get on the track? i will look for superchargers near by and I can level 1 charge all day off my motor home but all that aside what should I expect?

also, anyone have experience on the track with lfp cars? curious how they take the beating over the nca.
thanks guys.

Reactions: tm1v2
If you haven't come across this already, plan on getting this if taking a RWD Model 3 to the track:

Basically, the only official way to dial down stability control on a Model 3 is Track Mode, which is only on the Performance. Hence the product above. I haven't tracked a Model 3, maybe if you're very smooth you could avoid most nanny intervention, but it's pretty easy to get hit by the nannies when playing around on onramps in my M3P if not using Track Mode, especially when trying to put some power down exiting the turn.

Also since stability control uses brakes of course, even if a perfect 100% clean lap might not trigger it much (I don't know), the slightest extra slippage and you're probably looking at unnecessary extra brake usage/heat/wear. (Just a guess, again I have no experience actually tracking a Model 3 or any car with stability control enabled.)

I don't have answers to any of questions you actually asked though. Good luck, I support you on this! Maybe you can be a pioneer with the LFP. :) And I totally understand the track day itch, I used to do occasional track days in my WRX STI years ago and my new 3 is definitely bringing back that itch. I'd love to drive a well-prepped Model 3 on the track someday, but for me currently it just wouldn't make sense to setup mine for track duty. My vague plan is to get an old, slow-ish, fun old ICE sports car for track days someday.

Last edited:
Perhaps you might consider asking this question in the stickied track thread? Our track focused members might have a better chance at noticing it there, instead of the regular threads in this subform (which is always overrun with "what tire should I buy?" questions)

If you haven't yet taken delivery - consider a used LR RWD. Honestly, it's the best Model 3 Tesla has built. Too bad it was discontinued.

The reason I say this is that the LR RWD can go all day without thermal limiting; and because it's drawing less current than a Performance, it also uses a fair bit less energy too! It's also worth noting the 2022 M3 SR has less power than the older models, and I do not expect the LFP will handle the heat as well as the NCA.

A Mountain Pass Performance Party Box will be required, there's no way to disable TC without it. It's totally worth it even off the track. Has made my commuting infinitely more enjoyable and overall I am much happier with the car now.

At a minimum, you will want upgraded brake fluid. Consider pads if you plan to go faster. MPP sells a nice BBK that uses the stock calipers.

If you want your tires to survive, I would recommend front and rear camber arms. Again, MPP will hook you up. Otherwise the outer edges will get torn up very quickly.

You don't need another set of tires and wheels for a single day, but if you have fun and want to do it more often it's worth the investment - but you probably already know that.

So, to get started 1) Party Box, 2) Brake Fluid, 3) F+R Camber Arms, then 4) Pads/BBK, 5) Tires/Wheels, and finally if you want a nice ride on and off the track 6) Coilovers - if you don't get sand/salt the MPP Comfort's are a great value.

• Informative
Thanks for the reply. I did look into used. I’m price locked at 40k$. As of this moment I cannot find a used on of my kind around me for even close to that. Can’t bring myself to get a 3yr old car with 45k for 5k more for a stander model. For a performance.…. Absolutely but fat chance.
This purchase is 99%commuter car. was just thinking it would be nice to take my commuter to the track once or twice while I finish my “race car”.

my other toys are a… hot rod toy and off road park toy

1987 mustang notch 5.0 5speed
full maximum motor sports track suspension
04 cobra brake swap
04 cobra steering with solid mounts
holly terminator x stand alone

2001 jeep TJ 4.0 5speed
3“ lift
32s
dana 44
anti rock sway bar

Yeah the used car market is still too nuts for buying used to make sense. Unless you mainly want to turn it into a track rat, warranty and newer car features be damned.

I'm still surprised by this seemingly endless stream of people that just cannot wait at all and must get their hands on a new Tesla *today*. I've nothing against used cars, I seem to buy every other car of mine used, but damn it don't make sense to buy a daily driver used at today's prices.

Thanks for the reply. I did look into used. I’m price locked at 40k$. As of this moment I cannot find a used on of my kind around me for even close to that. Can’t bring myself to get a 3yr old car with 45k for 5k more for a stander model. For a performance.…. Absolutely but fat chance.
This purchase is 99%commuter car. was just thinking it would be nice to take my commuter to the track once or twice while I finish my “race car”.

my other toys are a… hot rod toy and off road park toy

1987 mustang notch 5.0 5speed
full maximum motor sports track suspension
04 cobra brake swap
04 cobra steering with solid mounts
holly terminator x stand alone

2001 jeep TJ 4.0 5speed
3“ lift
32s
dana 44
anti rock sway bar
Wow, those prices are crazy. I briefly considered selling my RWD LR about a year ago, and had no offers above $36k.

The SR should still be plenty of fun on the track with a few supporting mods!