TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time Remaining to Finish Charge

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by iffatall, Feb 3, 2014.

1. iffatall

iffatall Member

I have seen some YouTube videos where the charging screen shows time remaining to finish charging. My screen does not show this. I have looked around in settings, but could not find how I can enable this. Can anyone throw some light on this?

2. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Odd... I can see time remaining to finish charging in both the car's touchscreen and on the phone app (Android). What firmware are you running? Can you post an image of your car's touchscreen display during charging?

3. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

The only time it does not show time remaining is (a) on a supercharger and (b) you are at 100% and the car is balancing the battery pack.

4. iffatall

iffatall Member

I believe I am using 5.8.4. Will take a picture and post the next time I charge. Although I am not sure about the app, but my touch screen certainly does not show it.

Are you talking about regular charging or supercharging or both?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I see! Why does it not show time remaining at a supercharger?
    (I am yet to do a non-supercharger charging as the charging station in my garage is yet to be installed. I guess I will should start seeing time remaining in a couple of weeks.)

5. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

Apparently they need to hire a mathematician, it can't be THAT hard to approximate the time remaining on a supercharger charging session when the taper is being managed by their own HW/SW!

Hey, Tesla! Doesn't have to be exact to the second or even the minute, just provide some ballpark if that is the best math you can provide, geez!

I guess folks can use the VisibleTesla app's notification process to ping them when their car is charged up to the point where they need to meander back to the supercharger?

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Stall splitting at the superchargers can throw off that taper curve math though. If you are the second to arrive at a split stall, your charge rate curve is at the mercy of what the other car is pulling.

7. dflye

Okay, so back to them owning the HW/SW... you really think they can't determine and compensate for that in their calculation?

8. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Good point. The Superchargers are seemingly constantly reporting what's happening with them to HQ. It's down to the car closing the loop by pulling the data down in realtime if it's currently at a super.

9. Zextraterrestrial

but the balancing even on a 10kW charge can take well over an hour and the last part of the charge it might be only 1 kW for 10 minutes or more near the end. To properly know the time remaining to 100% the exact state of each battery in the car would need to be known

10. dflye

Couldn't they determine the state of the other battery based upon the profile of the energy being delivered to the battery in question?

Seriously, we're talking about a system with at max two outputs in use with one input of known volume. The distribution of available power is split based upon priority and current SOC of the target batteries.

Just monitoring the V/A for a few seconds of the target battery should be enough for them to determine whether the battery in question was primary or secondary and the approximate SOC of the other battery!

Once you have that info, determining the taper of the two batteries is simple math (since they already enforce that when you charge!), and viola, you have an ETA!

11. jamieb

jamieb Member

That's a good reason not to give an estimate at a supercharger. If you're the first car at the supercharger and it estimates XX minutes and you walk away to go shopping or take a potty break thinking you have exactly that time and five minutes later someone comes in and plugs in next to you, the calculations will change. You'd come back and be complaining on this forum that the calculations were 'wrong'.

12. Zextraterrestrial

^^
    this @ SC's though too

each individual battery in the car is what I meant, not different cars splitting charge on an SC

when your car is balancing at the end of a charge it can take 30 min or > 1 hour and the taper rate is different at the end depending on how out of balance the whole pack is.
    I did a few last week and used VT to log them. (on laptop - I will try and screen shot the 3 full charges to show ho different the upper taper after several 100% charges over a week)

13. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

I don't think that's how it works jamieb. If you pull in first you get the full dose all the way through the process. You get whatever your car can handle. The one coming after you, sharing your plug gets the remainder of your plug's full capacity until you leave or their's tapers.

14. dflye

Ah, so I think we've hit upon the key bit here "at the end of a charge"... so if the estimate says "35 minutes until 90% of requested SOC" when at a supercharger, that gives plenty of wiggle room for bad math and battery balancing.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

FYI, Tesla Connector (for Windows Phone) reports the ETA. It's not accurate to the minute, but it's usually within 5 minutes for me.

16. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

How does one deliberately balance the pack? Or, how does one know when the car is doing it?

17. iffatall

iffatall Member

Do a full range charge. Let it sit on charge until the screen actually says "Charging complete."

When your car is doing a range charge, it looks like it has already charged to the max, but it does not say charging complete, and seems like it is still feeding power to the battery.

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Two things:
    - OP said his car doesn't show remaining time at all. Even when I do a range charge I get an estimate showing.
    - OP has not said whether he was doing a range charge.

19. rlang59

rlang59 Member

However he did say he was only charging at a Supercharger which does not show remaining time to a charge.

20. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Unghff... misread his post. Never mind me. :redface: