Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time required until PTO? (I'm at 58 days since final inspection. 104 days since install completion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a nice thought, but I’m not sure that it would really work out very well in practice. Many of these dates and delays are very very location dependent. For example it took my city only two days to approve my permit, but I’ve seen other people post that it’s normal for their city to take several weeks to approve permits. In at least one case, I think it even went into months for someone, due to covid.

Some utilities require inspections by the utility and some don’t.

Even the time from scheduling to install can very hugely from one location to another based on how many orders there are and how many install teams they have in the area.

I think if you were looking at this data nationally you would wind up with vague numbers like 1-6 weeks for each step.

I think in order to have any hope of being useful you’d need to be able to drill down locally, to look at other installs in your own city and utility company, but certainly in a lot of areas of the country there just aren’t enough installs to cover every combination. Even looking at the numbers for one city over wouldn’t necessarily be helpful if they have a different permitting authority and/or utility company.

And frankly, even within one locality I suspect that numbers can vary greatly. For example, it took more than 8 weeks from the time my system was installed until it was inspected by the city. But I believe that a large portion of that delay was caused by the fact that they needed to update my permit because some of the panel locations changed on install day. Other people in this same city could get an inspection in just a few days if they didn’t have to worry about permit changes.

I certainly understand where you’re coming from. I know that when I ordered my system I wanted to know exactly how long each step would take and I was trying to find that information, but having gone through the process and watched a number of others go through the process here I just don’t think it’s possible to predict those numbers because it’s really a huge project and there are so many different variables.
Agreed. Each installation is custom with it's own set of issues that do not translate from one home to another even in the same city.

Agreed. Each installation is custom with it's own set of issues that do not translate from one home to another even in the same city.

I appreciate the skepticism, but there’s just as much uniqueness in the immigration process and trackitt has proved to be an amazing resource because it normalizes all the variability when you see self-reported data tabulated. It immediately becomes apparent where things take long and where they don’t.

Green Card: Green Card Dashboard: Feature Tour

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve