TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time running out for 2007 orders!

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by tonybelding, Nov 3, 2006.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I picked up a recent podcast with Martin Eberhard, which didn't reveal much new information -- except for a couple of numbers for planned production.

Because they are starting production late for 2007 models (technically they should be called 2007-1/2 year model cars), they only expect to make 225 of them. At last report I heard, at least 200 of those had already been pre-sold! If you had your heart set on a 2007 car, you chance to place an order is quickly slipping away.

Production of the 2008 model is planned for around 1000-1500 cars.

However. . . Year models in the car business don't strictly follow the calendar. As a car maker, your goal is to get most of this year's model sold and next year's models into show rooms before next year actually arrives. So it's possible, if not likely, that some 2008 models will be manufactured, shipped, and ready for delivery before the end of 2007.

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

According to recent posts on the Tesla site over 500 roadsters have been pre-sold. 8)

If I were to order vehicle # 501 (which I cannot), when will it be in my driveway? 3rd Quarter '08?

3. tonybelding

From what I understand. . . The whole schedule had to be adjusted several months due to the substitution of the new transmission. Now there will be no 2007-1/2 models, they will all be considered 2008 year models from the start. First deliveries (Founder's Series) should happen in October.

I was looking at the Wikipedia entry, and it says (without attribution) that one of the Signature One Hundred cars will go to Milan Tesic Tesla -- grandson of Nikola Tesla.

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Talk about inheritance! Milan Tesla will be one lucky grandson.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Tesla mentioned that they may cut off the 2008s at 800 cars.

They had been selling about one a day or so. (I heard one sold every other day and I also heard 10 a week).

With this month's inclease in price and the clearing of the "fence sitters" there may be in a lull now. I would think there will be many sales spikes when the Auto press gets behind the wheel.

Based on 500 cars sold and the the trend, that would mean an April 08' cut off.

6. tonybelding

I just reported what was on Wikipedia, but you know it's not always 100% reliable. As far as I know, Nikola Tesla never married or had any children.

It's possible that Milan could be related in some other way, and the story got garbled.

7. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

He could be a great-nephew. According to Theresa Welsh author of "Wisdom from the Past, or Visions of the Future -- the Wizardy of Nikola Tesla", Nikola Tesla was a loner who never married and left no heirs. There is a lot of intrigue surrounding his death.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I would love to see a breakdown of sales by location.

How many are going to Norcal vs Socal for instance...?

How about NYC vs Chicago vs Miami?

Maybe if they don't want to show actual sales numbers there could just be a color coded USA map showing % of sales by region.

9. AGR

AGR Member

What is the delivery date for the first Roadsters?

10. DDB

DDB Member

October of 2007 I think.

So what's the deal with 2008 models?--Is something going to change about them such as body like most models change?

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I wonder about deposits now versus delivery later... There has been some talk of new incentives (which may come into play in 2008) to buy EVs, but what if you paid all the money already in 2007, but take delivery in 2008? As far as the IRS is concerned did you buy it in 2007 or 2008? You got it at the 2007 price which since went up...

12. tonybelding

From what I understand, delivery will begin with 2008 models.

Originally there were going to be some 2007-1/2 cars, but since the schedule slipped they are all classified as 2008 cars now.

13. tonybelding

That's an interesting question. . . . . I think for most of us who placed deposits the car isn't considered "sold" until we pay the remainder. The deposit is considered to be membership in the Tesla Club. It might be different for the Signature One Hundred buyers who paid full price up front, I'm really not sure about that.

14. Brent

Brent Member

Even if the Signature One Hundred don't have club memberships, I believe the IRS will see the deposit as an offer to buy the car, rather than a completed sale. The sale will happen upon delivery, when all terms necessary to the contract are fulfilled.