Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time running out for 2007 orders!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a recent podcast with Martin Eberhard, which didn't reveal much new information -- except for a couple of numbers for planned production.

Because they are starting production late for 2007 models (technically they should be called 2007-1/2 year model cars), they only expect to make 225 of them. At last report I heard, at least 200 of those had already been pre-sold! If you had your heart set on a 2007 car, you chance to place an order is quickly slipping away.

Production of the 2008 model is planned for around 1000-1500 cars.

However. . . Year models in the car business don't strictly follow the calendar. As a car maker, your goal is to get most of this year's model sold and next year's models into show rooms before next year actually arrives. So it's possible, if not likely, that some 2008 models will be manufactured, shipped, and ready for delivery before the end of 2007.

From what I understand. . . The whole schedule had to be adjusted several months due to the substitution of the new transmission. Now there will be no 2007-1/2 models, they will all be considered 2008 year models from the start. First deliveries (Founder's Series) should happen in October.

I was looking at the Wikipedia entry, and it says (without attribution) that one of the Signature One Hundred cars will go to Milan Tesic Tesla -- grandson of Nikola Tesla.

Tesla mentioned that they may cut off the 2008s at 800 cars.

They had been selling about one a day or so. (I heard one sold every other day and I also heard 10 a week).

With this month's inclease in price and the clearing of the "fence sitters" there may be in a lull now. I would think there will be many sales spikes when the Auto press gets behind the wheel.

Based on 500 cars sold and the the trend, that would mean an April 08' cut off.

He could be a great-nephew. According to Theresa Welsh author of "Wisdom from the Past, or Visions of the Future -- the Wizardy of Nikola Tesla", Nikola Tesla was a loner who never married and left no heirs. There is a lot of intrigue surrounding his death.

I would love to see a breakdown of sales by location.

How many are going to Norcal vs Socal for instance...?

How about NYC vs Chicago vs Miami?

Maybe if they don't want to show actual sales numbers there could just be a color coded USA map showing % of sales by region.

I wonder about deposits now versus delivery later... There has been some talk of new incentives (which may come into play in 2008) to buy EVs, but what if you paid all the money already in 2007, but take delivery in 2008? As far as the IRS is concerned did you buy it in 2007 or 2008? You got it at the 2007 price which since went up...

TEG said:
I wonder about deposits now versus delivery later...  There has been some talk of new incentives (which may come into play in 2008) to buy EVs, but what if you paid all the money already in 2007, but take delivery in 2008?  As far as the IRS is concerned did you buy it in 2007 or 2008?  You got it at the 2007 price which since went up...

That's an interesting question. . . . . I think for most of us who placed deposits the car isn't considered "sold" until we pay the remainder. The deposit is considered to be membership in the Tesla Club. It might be different for the Signature One Hundred buyers who paid full price up front, I'm really not sure about that.

TEG said:
I wonder about deposits now versus delivery later...  There has been some talk of new incentives (which may come into play in 2008) to buy EVs, but what if you paid all the money already in 2007, but take delivery in 2008?  As far as the IRS is concerned did you buy it in 2007 or 2008?  You got it at the 2007 price which since went up...

Even if the Signature One Hundred don't have club memberships, I believe the IRS will see the deposit as an offer to buy the car, rather than a completed sale. The sale will happen upon delivery, when all terms necessary to the contract are fulfilled.