Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to crack her open and get inside the network for AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only caution with this approach is that the cigarette lighter is switched (so will be off when the car is off), but normally the ethernet network is still up and running. So you may want to use a non-switched power source... the little NETGEAR GS105Ev2 I have takes 12V DC directly, so should be somewhat straightforward to tap in somewhere.

[edit]I guess if you use a coupler for normal use and the switch just for hacking sessions, it should be ok.. no need to hardwire it then![/edit]

You can do 12v DC from the OBD port underneath the dash on the left hand side.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Time to make a quick poor mans coupler so I can drive the car when needed, waiting for a better coupler to come in Tuesday.

93E36E84-53B7-44DD-9600-1029598418B5.jpeg

"The top screw that secures the vent is underneath the top pad. It is necessary to release the center clips on the top pad in order to access the screw. If possible, use an inflatable wedge. Be very careful not to bend the top pad."

Thanks. Got that screw out, and the one on the bottom... how the heck does this come out now? Been tugging; doesn’t want to budge!

Both of those are done. Looks like this now:
View attachment 252705
Clip seems to come up on the left no problem, but whatever is holding it on the right by the big screen doesn’t want to budge... any tips?

There is a series of automotive clips along the ride side going counter clockwise from the bottom. Loosen the bottom right and get it out just enough so you can insert your pry tool on the right side between the silver bezel and the air vent. Just be careful to not bend the silver bezel piece, but it will come, you just need to loosen those darn automotive clips.