Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to DIY Ceramic Coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
I just finished whole car PPF with XPEL Ultimate Plus, and now I would like to DIY ceramic coating.

I just ordered CARPRO CQUARTZ UK 3.0, and I will be applying it after a few more days of cure time for the PPF.

This will be my second time applying the ceramic coating, and I am open to any suggestion and tips.

Since your whole car is PPF'd already, all the hard work is done so all that there is to do is to clean it thoroughly then apply the si02. Make sure you do it under shade, in a garage preferably and in any case stay out of sunlight. I power washed my garage to remove all dust and contaminates that I could. For the vehicle surface cleaning I used 90%+ isopropyl which I then mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Spray spray spray, then wipe up with microfiber. Do the whole car and whatever other surfaces and trim you're going to seal. Apply the ceramic is sections, you can use lil bits of tape to give a rough account of the sections to help make sure you've got even coverage. I used Nanobond off Amazon, dirt cheap and good for 2+ years. Since it was cheap I did two cars, glass, the trim inside and out, frunk, trunk, and wheels etc.

Since your whole car is PPF'd already, all the hard work is done so all that there is to do is to clean it thoroughly then apply the si02. Make sure you do it under shade, in a garage preferably and in any case stay out of sunlight. I power washed my garage to remove all dust and contaminates that I could. For the vehicle surface cleaning I used 90%+ isopropyl which I then mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. Spray spray spray, then wipe up with microfiber. Do the whole car and whatever other surfaces and trim you're going to seal. Apply the ceramic is sections, you can use lil bits of tape to give a rough account of the sections to help make sure you've got even coverage. I used Nanobond off Amazon, dirt cheap and good for 2+ years. Since it was cheap I did two cars, glass, the trim inside and out, frunk, trunk, and wheels etc.
How is the Nanobond worked for you ?

I have, over the years used dozens of different products costing from over $150 for a vial to consumer-grade products from Walmart. What I have come down to is doing a paint-correction type of detail when I first take delivery, followed by a good, long lasting product such as Collinite 845. I then use a detail spray after every couple of washes as a drying agent. My current favorite is Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic. As you already have PPF, I would even skip the base wax/ceramic coating and just use the detailing spray after each wash or two. The Turtle wax on its own is pretty amazing. Just one or two sprays for each panel, wipe it down and done. You can also use it on all surfaces without worry.