Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to DIY PPF!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The water pooling is from a lack of aggressive squeegeeing (think that’s a word). As you say, patience is key. I spent much more time squeezing out water than applying the film even with my small parts I’d did. I would squeeze out water and in a few mins there would be more. I paid close attention to my edges to make sure they were dry and stuck down before I packed up. Did you wrap your edges on doors and hood?

Reactions: snovvman
Thank you for sharing your experience and the detailed reply. I installed four 10K lumen, variable color temperature shop lights in my garage (in addition to all the exiting lights) "just in case" I decide to tackle the job lol. How many miles was on your car when you applied the film? I wonder how much claying a brand new car needs. I'm guessing maybe some, but not as much as a car that has more mileage on it.

Your point about someone trying to scratch or key your door struck a chord. I am less concerned about rock chips than I am of malicious damage. This is where PPF can help a lot. But then again, this requires the whole car to be covered. I've seen enough videos of people walking by a Tesla with key in hand and that repair could get expensive.
My car had about 80 miles on it when I started. I clay bar it because that was the advise a number of PPF installers gave me.
Today I backed out of my garage thinking my trunk was shut and did not realize it was still up and scratched the top edge badly. No PPF there. I didn't think to apply any there because most of the advice was to protect the front and sides. I'll buff it out as best as I can and then install a rear spoiler to cover it up. Considering it's close to two years old, it still upsetting to get a scratch like that.

@nate704 I got the same kit as you off of ebay via vitofi-91 and will be applying soon. I was curious if the pre-cut kit from him is meant to go under the trim pieces, like around the wheel wells and windows trim, or was it cut to be right up to the edge of it? I'm just trying to pre-plan and am curious if i should pull trim before install. thanks in advance for any insight!

@nate704 I got the same kit as you off of ebay via vitofi-91 and will be applying soon. I was curious if the pre-cut kit from him is meant to go under the trim pieces, like around the wheel wells and windows trim, or was it cut to be right up to the edge of it? I'm just trying to pre-plan and am curious if i should pull trim before install. thanks in advance for any insight!
Hood - wrapped all the way around
Front Bumper - only upper center portion is wrapped around
Fenders - Top portions of the edges are wrapped into the frunk area
Headlights - No
Tail lights - No
Side Mirrors - No
Doors - only the trailing edges are wrapped
Full A- Pillar (all the way through the back) - only inside (towards the glass roof can be tucked in under the rubber seals
Quarter panels - all leading edges are wrapped
Tail gate (lower portion, license plate area) - all edges are wrapped except the top
Rear Bumper - only the top portion where trunk opening is wrapped

Reactions: snovvman
Hood - wrapped all the way around
Front Bumper - only upper center portion is wrapped around
Fenders - Top portions of the edges are wrapped into the frunk area
Headlights - No
Tail lights - No
Side Mirrors - No
Doors - only the trailing edges are wrapped
Full A- Pillar (all the way through the back) - only inside (towards the glass roof can be tucked in under the rubber seals
Quarter panels - all leading edges are wrapped
Tail gate (lower portion, license plate area) - all edges are wrapped except the top
Rear Bumper - only the top portion where trunk opening is wrapped
awesome, thanks for the info!