Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to join the family?

Strong buyers remorse after purchasing a vehicle to have it updated within a year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short is that I am very close to purchasing a model S, but I fear/feel that with the potential upcoming of autopilot 2.0 dropping 100k at this time might not be the best way to go and instead I should just wait it out.

Some background I started with a 2012 Prius then a 2013 Volt and I am currently driving a 2014 ELR with adaptive cruise control. Although still fairly new to Tesla compared to the other veterans here I have been holding off on buying a Tesla for a few years since I wasn't that interested in autopilot pre 7.0. Now that the update for 7.0+ has been released my interest in getting a Tesla has been renewed.

Without a doubt autosteer will become better and better with the current sensors and will not require the newest sensors. As no one really does know, aside from Musk, the time frame and how good autopilot 2.0 really will be I guess I just wanted some more speculation on the subject. I have read the other threads and was just looking for some more input to see what other people have done who were in similar situations as myself.

Essentially what it comes down to is that I don't want to spend 100k+ on a car only to have to pay another 5% (just throwing out a number) or more of the car's value just to retrofit the car with the latest and greatest if it is available. Tesla is probably on the fast track of continuous improvements for years to come so there will always be that disappointment of 'if only I had waited x amount of time.

Thoughts/Comments?

As a general poll who feels a strong buyers remorse after purchasing a vehicle that would be updated within a year?

There's always something better coming if you wait for it, but then you never get to drive a Tesla. If you like the car that exists today, buy it, and don't worry about not having the latest and greatest for very long.

If I had waited a few months back in 2013 I could have had parking sensors and auto folding side mirrors. Every Tesla owner has a story like this from the earliest VIN until now. Either pull the trigger or you'll always be waiting for what's next.

Completely agree with TexasEV. I took the plunge 3 months ago and plan on revisiting where tesla/industry is in a few years. Til the. Enjoy today. Tesla will keep coming out with new features. There is no timeline to it, like new iPhones in September, so not worth waiting. Get one an just start enjoying it.

You know - autopilot 2.0 might be shipping now. It might not be here for a year.

Whatever the case, 3.0 is 18-24 months after that.

It is hard to imagine that Level 5 autonomy is coming with 2.0. My guess would be 4 or 5.0. My point is that you are screwed either way.

I have a May 15 car. Missed LTE by 2 weeks. No refresh front end. And I've only had autosteer for 10 months. And 2.0 might come out tomorrow. I doubt it will functionally be truly better for another 12 months.

Welcome to the new world of car buying. I suspect the wiring harness for 2.0 is there but that is the end of speculation.

If available today, how much would a Level 5 autonomous car that is a Tesla cost? A lot - like $200k. Because demand would be off the charts. 2.0 will not reach this.

There's always something better coming if you wait for it, but then you never get to drive a Tesla. If you like the car that exists today, buy it, and don't worry about not having the latest and greatest for very long.

If I had waited a few months back in 2013 I could have had parking sensors and auto folding side mirrors. Every Tesla owner has a story like this from the earliest VIN until now. Either pull the trigger or you'll always be waiting for what's next.

Very good point. Thank you for the input. I'm glad you brought up the point that every Tesla owner has a story like this.

Completely agree with TexasEV. I took the plunge 3 months ago and plan on revisiting where tesla/industry is in a few years. Til the. Enjoy today. Tesla will keep coming out with new features. There is no timeline to it, like new iPhones in September, so not worth waiting. Get one an just start enjoying it.

Yes, there is no timeline for the updates to the Tesla as you said. Maybe I should just go for it and enjoy it today as you suggested. Thank you.

Wait for "Autopilot 2.0" hardware to buy or do a 2 or 3 year lease if you can't wait.

Unfortunately, a lease doesn't work for me as I drive close to 70-80 miles 6 days a week. I forgot to mention that in my post.

If the 2 year lease was around when I purchased my S... I would have gone that route. But decided to finance my S, and probably will be selling in 3 years, so I can get a newer upgraded version.

Yes, there is always that option. Go for it now and then trade it in for a newer model in a few years.

You know - autopilot 2.0 might be shipping now. It might not be here for a year.

Whatever the case, 3.0 is 18-24 months after that.

It is hard to imagine that Level 5 autonomy is coming with 2.0. My guess would be 4 or 5.0. My point is that you are screwed either way.

I have a May 15 car. Missed LTE by 2 weeks. No refresh front end. And I've only had autosteer for 10 months. And 2.0 might come out tomorrow. I doubt it will functionally be truly better for another 12 months.

Welcome to the new world of car buying. I suspect the wiring harness for 2.0 is there but that is the end of speculation.

If available today, how much would a Level 5 autonomous car that is a Tesla cost? A lot - like $200k. Because demand would be off the charts. 2.0 will not reach this.

Great point. The current price point for a level 5 autonomous car right now would be very expensive as it is mostly in the R&D stages and cars are still 'far' away from being so.

Yea...much like phones. I have friends that are constantly "waiting" for the next version to come out.
Guy uses an iPhone 4s still and anytime I ask him it's like I'm waiting for IPhone 5, then 5s, then 6, then 6s...and now he's waiting for a 7. Always going to be something better that comes out.

I plan to keep my two month old S70 for a decade. Can you imagine what the Tesla I buy to replace it with will be like? Autonomy is a process of successive approximation, the final phase of which is years away. Autopilot 2.0 will only be one more step along the way. In any event, I am very satisfied with 1.0.

Long story short is that I am very close to purchasing a model S, but I fear/feel that with the potential upcoming of autopilot 2.0 dropping 100k at this time might not be the best way to go and instead I should just wait it out.

Some background I started with a 2012 Prius then a 2013 Volt and I am currently driving a 2014 ELR with adaptive cruise control. Although still fairly new to Tesla compared to the other veterans here I have been holding off on buying a Tesla for a few years since I wasn't that interested in autopilot pre 7.0. Now that the update for 7.0+ has been released my interest in getting a Tesla has been renewed.

Without a doubt autosteer will become better and better with the current sensors and will not require the newest sensors. As no one really does know, aside from Musk, the time frame and how good autopilot 2.0 really will be I guess I just wanted some more speculation on the subject. I have read the other threads and was just looking for some more input to see what other people have done who were in similar situations as myself.

Essentially what it comes down to is that I don't want to spend 100k+ on a car only to have to pay another 5% (just throwing out a number) or more of the car's value just to retrofit the car with the latest and greatest if it is available. Tesla is probably on the fast track of continuous improvements for years to come so there will always be that disappointment of 'if only I had waited x amount of time.

Thoughts/Comments?

As a general poll who feels a strong buyers remorse after purchasing a vehicle that would be updated within a year?

The best time to buy a Tesla is now. For one thing, tomorrow is not guaranteed (see my other post where I explain my accident).

Even if there are upgrades and improvements, an "old" Tesla is still light years ahead of anything else on the road, including the list of cars you mentioned. I'd take a classic 2012 Model S with no frills over anything else out there right now. When you get into a Model S, you'll be remorseful of why you didn't make the decision sooner!

Good luck!