Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Put a Model 3 In the Stores - ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The devil is always in the details and many may find certain aspects of the Model 3 a make / break proposition. The more reviews that are published the more detail consumers will get to make an informed decision. I do not want to create a non-refundable order based on pictures alone.

Tesla could provide a Model 3 (where are the Release Candidate vehicles used for testing?) to each store so folks could see and touch while production hell continues.

My deal breaker: Rear Seat Design
Hong thought the Tesla’s back seat is roomy enough but “felt a little sunken in, without much forward vision.”

The picture is the article clearly shows no thigh support and that does not bode well for comfort. A complete difference from the Leaf.

Nissan Leaf Rear Seating @ 4:52

Nissan Leaf First Drive

Completely disagree. It's more important to produce and sell to the people who are ready to buy now, especially while the tax credit is available.

Get the revenue from them and once production rate is high enough where diverting 109 (that's how many stores are in the US last time I looked. Also that's somewhere around 10% of how many they've made EVER) units won't matter OR the rate of configuration deferral increases by a statistically significant measure, then you populate the stores and pander to the uncommitted customers.

I do not want to create a non-refundable order based on pictures alone.

What's the harm in waiting if you're not sure?

edited to add: Using RCs is not a good idea. You don't want anything but a true production vehicle under the microscope.

Last edited:
Delivery numbers count for investors, not to stores but to customers. Reducing customer deliveries by 25-50% just to out one in every store in the world doesn't make sense at this point, especially that they really don't need to sell any more. Anyone getting on a list today has 2+years to wait, by then there will be more alternatives, which means a decent percentage of people signing up today will drop out anyways.

The devil is always in the details and many may find certain aspects of the Model 3 a make / break proposition. The more reviews that are published the more detail consumers will get to make an informed decision. I do not want to create a non-refundable order based on pictures alone.

Have you been invited to configure yet?

If not, do you at least currently own a Tesla AND have been in line the morning of March 31, 2016?

Otherwise, the point is so moo, you can put it back into the cow.

I tend to agree with teh OP - It's a big investment to make sight unseen so I think it makes sense to send showroom units out in line with the geographic spread of new invitations. It won't need to be every store as a shotgun as a consequence.

Then don’t spend the money (it is not an investment) until you’re ready. Nobody is twisting your arm. Choose between leading, following, or getting out of the way.

I tend to agree with teh OP - It's a big investment to make sight unseen so I think it makes sense to send showroom units out in line with the geographic spread of new invitations. It won't need to be every store as a shotgun as a consequence.
How many people invited to configure today do you think will cancel if they cannot touch one at the store? 5%, 10%? I bet there are plenty of people willing to take those configuration invite off their hands. Bottom line is this, do you think Tesla will have any problems finding more people willing to configure sight unseen TODAY? If the answer is no, then there is no need to put any cars in stores, especially that they would consume a large percentage of current production. Anyone configuring in a year or two will absolutely have a chance to see one in the store first.

Tesla only needs to put Model 3's in stores if they are trying to sell them.

Anyone think they are having problems selling them?

Fully agree. There is no point in putting the car in stores.

Tesla using early adopters successfully as demand creators and this has been proven to be a very strong strategy. You likely will have a strong demand of friends, family and you name it to view, drive and experience it ones you get your M3. All of those potential buyer. A second wave of demand will start then which is of zero cost to Tesla.

Reactions: gavine and AlanSqB
How many people invited to configure today do you think will cancel if they cannot touch one at the store? 5%, 10%? I bet there are plenty of people willing to take those configuration invite off their hands.
Completely agree with you, but still I'll prefer to see one as I have a few items to check also. I won't be cancelling, and since I'm in an RHD territory this problem won't occur here as I'm sure my concerns will be addressable in the intervening year. But I empathise with the OP.

I also will not be buying without a test drive however, I don't think that Tesla needs them in stores yet. They can sell everything they can produce for quite some time so there is no need to promote them or to entice others to buy them.

My deal breaker: Rear Seat Design
Hong thought the Tesla’s back seat is roomy enough but “felt a little sunken in, without much forward vision.”
Balance that one opinion against the opinion of several members on this Forum who have sat in the back seat and have said it is perfectly fine. The rear seat design is subjective based on a person's size and anatomy. You may sit in the back seat and think it is awful, but you will have a passenger who sits there and think it is great. I can think of many things that could be deal breakers, but back seat design is not one of them for me.

Regarding putting production cars in showrooms for fence sitters to try, I am 100% opposed. I am totally committed to this car without ever sitting in it or driving it or even seeing one in person. I am a complete enthusiast. I would be pi$$ed if my car was delayed even one day because someone else can't make up their mind. I want my car and I want it NOW! I will be more than happy to let fence sitters on this Forum sit in the backseat of my car to try it out, once I get it.

Last edited:
The only issue I have with sitting in the rear seats is not enough headroom (6'4" with long torso). As for the rest I do not concur with MT's findings.

Plenty of legroom, plenty of space, comfortable (I actually prefer more bench like seats, as most bucket seats are too narrow and can get uncomfortable over time), and the glass roof makes it feel as if you are more connected with the outside (rather than sitting in a cocoon as in most cars).

As for limited forward visibility? Are you kidding? ALL rear seats have limited visibility in any car I know of, there's this thing called a seat and headrest in front of you lol.

Suggest watching the Doug M3 review to get a more real world idea of the space back there.

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte
As a couple other folks said, putting cars in the stores will be the first step towards accelerating demand - something Tesla really doesn't need right now.

Once they get first production cars out into all the US zones and groups and have the production problems mostly sorted, it'll make sense - maybe March or April if things go well.

Until then, it's a distraction that won't help Tesla at all.

I waited on placing my X order until I could see and drive one (was on the fence between it and a CPO S,) and I don't regret it or blame anyone for wanting to try the car first; Tesla just needs time to sort things out and get deliveries rolling.

They don't really need them in the stores right now but doing a Model 3 Test drive even as they did with the S and X would help some people pull the trigger on ordering. I previously had a Model X reservation and attended the Model X test drive event. Unfortunately, it was only a 10 minute test drive and wasn't enough for me to seal the deal. It did convince me to order an S instead.

I've already spent the day in a Model 3 and would have no hesitation buying it if it met my requirements. It's a great car! My mom is interested in the Model 3 but still hesitant to order based on the limited time she's been in a Model 3. She will definitely be along for the ride if/when there is a Model 3 test drive event and hopefully get to test drive one herself.

Reactions: GregRF