Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Put a Model 3 In the Stores - ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not a problem at all and I do not consider the Tesla process a problem. I would only like more disclosure upfront for those of us who don't make capital purchases sight unseen or without the benefit of evaluating the product (no matter what the price / deal).

Hope my clarity is not perceived as being Tesla negative but simply being an educated consumer.
I'm under the impression that Tesla will let you delay finalizing your order for a while if you care to without losing your order status. I'm debating whether to use that option in order to check out a Model 3 in person before I decide whether to buy the upgraded interior option.

I'm under the impression that Tesla will let you delay finalizing your order for a while if you care to without losing your order status. I'm debating whether to use that option in order to check out a Model 3 in person before I decide whether to buy the upgraded interior option.
Indeed. The first non-employee customers will not get the dual motor version. Some employees may be waiting for that one also. You're allowed to delay, just don't make it a true order before you do.

I would be very disconcerting if Tesla put a Model 3 in a store until they have built all of their customers Tesla's first.

For example: Sure put a RWD Model 3 in the stores if they have built all of their customers RWD's. Even if they have not built all of the AWD's.

Current customers should come before their own interests concerning sales.
I don't agree. I think it will be nice for all those people that have to wait six months or more to at least be able to see one in the stores. The number of cars requires to put one in each store will not make much of a difference on the delivery time, especially when the production ramps up.

Reactions: FlyingKiwi
I don't agree. I think it will be nice for all those people that have to wait six months or more to at least be able to see one in the stores. The number of cars requires to put one in each store will not make much of a difference on the delivery time, especially when the production ramps up.
I also don't agree that Tesla should put a car in the stores because those orders won't get fulfilled for another 14 months or so. I've been waiting over 20 months and its not a good thing.

That has to be so rare.

You know....I wish my teachers in grade school were as optimistic about me as some are about Tesla.
It's probably less rare than most people think. I'm waiting until I can drive one. I've been car shopping before and there were a few cars that I only had to sit in to realize I didn't like it. This will be the most I've ever spent on anything other than a house so I'm going to make sure I'm going to enjoy it!! You're right though, there are boat loads of people out there that either already own Teslas or are confident enough that they'll like that they are willing to forgo the test drive, I'm too picky to be one of them.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I would be very disconcerting if Tesla put a Model 3 in a store until they have built all of their customers Tesla's first.

For example: Sure put a RWD Model 3 in the stores if they have built all of their customers RWD's. Even if they have not built all of the AWD's.

Current customers should come before their own interests concerning sales.
Even looking at the strict business rationale, it doesn't make sense to wait until every customer has theirs to start putting them in stores. They need to keep sales (read, finalized orders) at a high enough level to maintain production levels. This means that they need to put cars into stores before they run out of people willing to buy sight-unseen so that those who will only purchase after having some time with the car will have a chance to have that time.

I don't see them putting cars in stores before the end of the year. However, once they are ramped up in production, they'll be able to produce all the cars they need for display and test driving in a single day, two tops.

It's probably less rare than most people think. I'm waiting until I can drive one. I've been car shopping before and there were a few cars that I only had to sit in to realize I didn't like it. This will be the most I've ever spent on anything other than a house so I'm going to make sure I'm going to enjoy it!! You're right though, there are boat loads of people out there that either already own Teslas or are confident enough that they'll like that they are willing to forgo the test drive, I'm too picky to be one of them.

I'm not buying a $50K+ car without driving it first.

While only 10-20% of prospective buyers need that test drive to seal the deal, Tesla will still be leaving a lot of money on the table if they don't get demonstration units in the stores.

If they are cranking out over 100 a week now then building the demo units will amount to less than a week of production.

Just an update. I heard from my local Tesla dealer today and tomorrow they are doing a hands on with the Model 3 tomorrow night at our dealership. It is an invite only event for current owners. So for those that are looking to get to see one on person and sit in one, it looks like Tesla is starting to have events at local dealerships and service centers. So contact your local dealer/service center and see when they are planning their next event.

• Informative
Reactions: Bokonon and DR61
Even looking at the strict business rationale, it doesn't make sense to wait until every customer has theirs to start putting them in stores. They need to keep sales (read, finalized orders) at a high enough level to maintain production levels. This means that they need to put cars into stores before they run out of people willing to buy sight-unseen so that those who will only purchase after having some time with the car will have a chance to have that time.

I don't see them putting cars in stores before the end of the year. However, once they are ramped up in production, they'll be able to produce all the cars they need for display and test driving in a single day, two tops.
Elon made this statement as to the anti-sell campaign. Tesla has only sold 2500 or so Model 3s from when he made this statement.

“basically sold out the first year of production.” Therefore, there’s little incentive for Tesla to “sell the thirteenth month of production,” in his mind. “Very little gain to be had there, in doing so.”

“Our net reservations continues to climb week after week,” he said. “No advertising. Anti-selling. Nothing to test drive. Still grows every week.”

Elon Musk Says Tesla Is "Anti-Selling" the Model 3 | Inverse

Elon made this statement as to the anti-sell campaign. Tesla has only sold 2500 or so Model 3s from when he made this statement.

“basically sold out the first year of production.” Therefore, there’s little incentive for Tesla to “sell the thirteenth month of production,” in his mind. “Very little gain to be had there, in doing so.”

“Our net reservations continues to climb week after week,” he said. “No advertising. Anti-selling. Nothing to test drive. Still grows every week.”

Elon Musk Says Tesla Is "Anti-Selling" the Model 3 | Inverse

Reservations do not Equate to Signed Non-Reversible Contracts. Many people put down reservations for multiple Model 3s and what will be interesting to see is how many vehicles are actually contact purchased versus canceled.

For many it will come down to:
  • I thought I could buy one for $35K and out the door it will be $42? Cancel
  • So, you do not offer a lease program on the Model 3? Cancel
  • Wow, that back seat is pretty low to the ground. Feel like I'm in a bucket Cancel
  • I'll have to wait how long for that set of options? Cancel
  • $764 / month for 60 months on a $42K Model 3? Thanks but no thanks Cancel
  • Can you assure me I can get the $7,500 tax credit? Nope Cancel
The Model 3 will be the 1st Tesla where the consumer base may be more price sensitive and not willing to buy without the usual industry discounts, subsidized interest rates, and a customer base with less than stellar credit scores.

Reservations do not Equate to Signed Non-Reversible Contracts. Many people put down reservations for multiple Model 3s and what will be interesting to see is how many vehicles are actually contact purchased versus canceled.

For many it will come down to:
  • I thought I could buy one for $35K and out the door it will be $42? Cancel
  • So, you do not offer a lease program on the Model 3? Cancel
  • Wow, that back seat is pretty low to the ground. Feel like I'm in a bucket Cancel
  • I'll have to wait how long for that set of options? Cancel
  • $764 / month for 60 months on a $42K Model 3? Thanks but no thanks Cancel
  • Can you assure me I can get the $7,500 tax credit? Nope Cancel
The Model 3 will be the 1st Tesla where the consumer base may be more price sensitive and not willing to buy without the usual industry discounts, subsidized interest rates, and a customer base with less than stellar credit scores.

All I know is that ELON stated that they have more than a years worth of reservations still there. Look at Tesla website and try to order one today. What's your delivery estimate? Yep-over 12 months away.

"All I know is that ELON stated that they have more than a years worth of reservations still there."

Running that through the Elon Distortion Field Clarifier (EDFC), it now reads (correctly, to my eye):

ELON stated that he hopes they have more than a years worth of reservations still there.

Robin

All I know is that ELON stated that they have more than a years worth of reservations still there. Look at Tesla website and try to order one today. What's your delivery estimate? Yep-over 12 months away.

My delivery estimate is only months away and I will purchase for cash. ELON has no exact way of knowing how many Model 3 reservation will develop into contract sales. Predictive analysis has limits.

Reactions: Garlan Garner