Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to renew: 75D vs inventory 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
My apologies to some of you who have seen a similar post by me in the Ski Rack thread.

My lease is up in 6 months and I am trying to decide which vehicle to get as a replacement. My choice is either a 75D or 100D. P is not a consideration. Too expensive and absolutely no need.

Tesla reached out to me a couple of days ago, saying they would waive the remainder of my lease payments if I re-sign with them now for a new Model S. They only gave me a few days to decide. The advantage to me re-signing now is that 1) I will likely go over my mileage limit by the end, and 2) I can still make the full federal EV tax credit still. The disadvantage, as is always the case, I may miss out on any refreshes that could be coming. The way Tesla works, that is always a surprise.

I am currently driving an 85D, and previously had a P85. Range is sometimes an issue for me, but not often. I do make about 5 or 6 trips from LA to Mammoth when more range would certainly be pleasant.

Here is my dilemma:
First, while I prefer the look and feel of the all-glass roof, I benefit from the panoramic sunroof for application of my ski rack, that remains attached from December through April. Otherwise, I rarely open the roof, with my classic Buick serving as my convertible.

I can get a new 75D, customized with all the options I want, for about $200 less/mo than I am paying now. Not too shabby. I would get almost the same performance as my 2016 85D, sacrificing just a tiny bit of range (272 peak with my 85D, to 259 with the 75D).

Alternatively, I could upgrade to a 100D. Sweet ride for sure! Tesla has offered me an inventory 100D for pretty much the same payment as I am currently making for my 85D. It is the color I want. The downside: no sunroof, and no premium package (audio). The increased range is significant, making my road trips quite a bit more friendly.

So, do I stay with the same monthly payment with a better car, and sacrifice the panorama and audio? How sucky is the standard audio now anyway? In 2013, it was pretty awful.

On ski trips, if I want to take 4 people, I would have to cram in 2 people in the back with the one seat folded down. I am discussing ski rack options in this thread.

I know, #1stworldproblems…
Thanks in advance for your comments.

You know your need for range, so that is hard to value for you. I ended up with an inventory 90D a year ago because it was practically same price as fully optioned 75D, and there is one specific regular journey which I can only barely make without supercharging on the 90D. Now I realise that I could totally live with 75D range, but at least the resale value will be better.

In my case, upgraded audio was the only thing missing on the inventory car from my wish list. You know what? It ended up as being a blessing, since I found using very similar amount of money as the OEM upgrade can get a much better aftermarket setup.

There was an identical inventory car with pano roof, but I chose the all glass one as preference. I’ll get the seasucker solution if needed for bicycles later. Skis I’ll rather keep in trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and 4SUPER9
The newer 2017-2018 has a much better standard audio system compared to older models. In fact I don't think the difference is too big to the UHFS especially not paying the price. I am a bit audiophile but dont use my car that often so I can live with stock system while having much better speakers around my home.

I'd go with the 100D. I love having more range plus more performance and faster supercharging is great too. Can always get the sea sucker for a roof rack.

Course its easy to spend other peoples money. Are you leasing again? $200 a month is a pretty hefty difference.

Seems pretty clear to me. You're doing another 3-year lease, the difference is exactly 200 x 36 = $7200.

You can buy yourself a 3rd-party roof rack AND a $500 spoil yourself gift to occupy your time for every extra supercharging session on those longer trips, and still come out ahead financially with the 75D.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9