Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace the P85D but not excited about any of the options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the P85D with the + suspension for over 7 years now. Still drives like new, and nothing beats the open pano roof on a nice summer day. And great to have free premium connectivity and unlimited Supercharging, even with the limited 85 battery pack charging speeds.

But with just over half a year left on the powertrain and battery warranty, and with the used car market what it is, it seems like a good time to sell it and upgrade to something new.

The problem is that nothing else out there actually feels like an upgrade. Mostly the opposite.

I have both the Model S LR and the MYP on order. I drove the Plaid for a day and loved the suspension/handling, acceleration (on sport mode so it was comparable to the LR) build quality, and comfort. But I would miss the pano sunroof that opens, and I really hated the awkwardness of the yoke, turn signals, horn, and the semi-automatic drive selection. Would probably get used to all that but my wife, who would only drive it occasionally, would not, and I think it would be dangerous in expected situations. Elon ruined the best car in the world, IMO.

The MYP is the best value overall, and I love the fun factor and the utility. We already have a 3, so this would be familiar, but I don't love the vegan/vinyl seats without ventilation, since they don't breathe as well as real leather. There are cheap little details like the cardboard windshield visors, lack of passenger power lumbar, and no rear climate controls. And there are just way too many 3s and Ys out there now.

I've considered non Tesla EVs, like the Polestar 2 and the Taycan CT, but even assuming I could actually find one, there is always some major downside, like crappy software, lack of local service, slower acceleration, range, etc. And lack of Supercharger access (for now) would make a big difference on road trips that we take on a regular basis, at least based on some ABRP route comparisons.

So I'm leaning towards just keeping the P85D at least until the battery/powertrain warranty expires, and maybe longer with an aftermarket battery warranty. And hopefully in the meantime some better other options emerge.

Anyone else been through this dilemma? What did you end up deciding/doing?

Last edited:
Similar situation with my 85D. Replacement is a cyber truck I have a very early reservation number. The 85D is perfect, next gen seats, every option and standard suspension. Looks and rides like it just came off the showroom floor.

Used car warranty and battery warranty both expire in March 2023. At first I was going to sell it on the market but recently I’ve decided to make it a generational car and pass it down to one of my kids when the cyber truck arrives. I’ll worry about battery pack or drive units when that time arrives. It’s just too great of a car to let it go.

Why not just get a newer version of what you already have? Find yourself a P100D or Performance Model S that's a few years newer w/less miles plus added features/upgrades. As someone who has owned incrementally newer versions of these cars I can tell you from first hand experience that the improvements they made over the years are noticeable & appreciated during regular use. You likely would find the added total of these quality of life improvements on a car 4-5 years newer to feel like a whole new experience at a fraction of the new car price w/o the goofy yoke & annoyingly dangerous buttons.

Guy I know just wrecked his 2017 MS100D. He was in the same dilemma with all the same MS complaints as you. He got the MYP.

For my second car, I got the Ioniq5 which has all the same utility as the MY, without supercharging (yet). However, it does run 800V battery so it charges faster than most Teslas, if you can find a 350W EA charger. Anytime someone is looking for a Tesla replacement, I think the Ioniq5 is a worthwhile contender to at least consider. Especially for $50-57k (minus tax rebates)

PXL_20220527_202247227.jpg
PXL_20220709_204623472.jpg
PXL_20220704_215859392.jpg

**I don't have these license plates anymore, so not worried about people having my plate numbers, which is kind of an odd thing to worry about, IMO anyway**

Why not just get a newer version of what you already have? Find yourself a P100D or Performance Model S that's a few years newer w/less miles plus added features/upgrades. As someone who has owned incrementally newer versions of these cars I can tell you from first hand experience that the improvements they made over the years are noticeable & appreciated during regular use. You likely would find the added total of these quality of life improvements on a car 4-5 years newer to feel like a whole new experience at a fraction of the new car price w/o the goofy yoke & annoyingly dangerous buttons.

I would actually consider a Raven but guessing it would end up costing the same or more than the MS LR, since I ordered it when it was 10K less than current pricing. But not sure how good the adaptive suspension is, every Model S I've driven except the P85D+ and the refresh felt super floaty. Also no pano sunroof.

Reactions: tm1v2
Have you considered this? My car is a 2017 but I’m going to see if the car can really go a million miles, so I’m planning ahead…

Guy I know just wrecked his 2017 MS100D. He was in the same dilemma with all the same MS complaints as you. He got the MYP.

For my second car, I got the Ioniq5 which has all the same utility as the MY, without supercharging (yet). However, it does run 800V battery so it charges faster than most Teslas, if you can find a 350W EA charger. Anytime someone is looking for a Tesla replacement, I think the Ioniq5 is a worthwhile contender to at least consider. Especially for $50-57k (minus tax rebates)

View attachment 827382View attachment 827383View attachment 827384
**I don't have these license plates anymore, so not worried about people having my plate numbers, which is kind of an odd thing to worry about, IMO anyway**

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with Hyundai's EV game so early on for them. The Ioniq 5, EV6 GT, and even the GV60 all look interesting, and might be contenders for me once Tesla's plans for opening the SC network to non-Teslas in the US materialize.

How do you like the driving experience of the Ioniq 5, in particular handling? The reviews I've watched all complained about fairly meh handling on all 3 variants).

Have you considered this? My car is a 2017 but I’m going to see if the car can really go a million miles, so I’m planning ahead…
Yup, this could make a lot of sense for the keep-it-until-there-are-better-options option. Pretty reasonable price for an additional 2 years of peace of mind. Might also do the MCU2 upgrade if I go down this path.

I have both the Model S LR and the MYP on order. I drove the Plaid for a day and loved the suspension/handling, acceleration (on sport mode so it was comparable to the LR) build quality, and comfort. But I would miss the pano sunroof that opens, and I really hated the awkwardness of the yoke, turn signals, horn, and the semi-automatic drive selection. Would probably get used to all that but my wife, who would only drive it occasionally, would not, and I think it would be dangerous in expected situations. Elon ruined the best car in the world, IMO.
I think a large majority of owners get used to and actually prefer the yoke quickly, outside of the horn.

Maybe this does or doesn't help, but my wife and I prefer it over the wheel/stalks in our MY.

Had the P85D with the + suspension for over 7 years now. Still drives like new, and nothing beats the open pano roof on a nice summer day. And great to have free premium connectivity and unlimited Supercharging, even with the limited 85 battery pack charging speeds.

But with just over half a year left on the powertrain and battery warranty, and with the used car market what it is, it seems like a good time to sell it and upgrade to something new.

The problem is that nothing else out there actually feels like an upgrade. Mostly the opposite.

Agree with the last statement here. Why would I want half a steering wheel ? No thank you Elon.

The MYP is the best value overall, and I love the fun factor and the utility. We already have a 3, so this would be familiar, but I don't love the vegan/vinyl seats without ventilation, since they don't breathe as well as real leather.
This one can be changed easily. Lots of options available.

This one can be changed easily. Lots of options available.

That's true, I actually forgot about that option. But I also forgot to mention those ventilated seats on the S - loved them on the Turn rental, so that's another thing complicating the decision.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I think a large majority of owners get used to and actually prefer the yoke quickly, outside of the horn.
And if you drive not needing or using the horn (whatever for??) that one part of the argument is also eliminated. One of these days I'll own a Model S with a yoke, and I'll love it, while there are those who are simply unable to change what they learned when they were fifteen. How did they ever figure out to plug in the car instead of taking it to the gas station?

And if you drive not needing or using the horn (whatever for??) that one part of the argument is also eliminated. One of these days I'll own a Model S with a yoke, and I'll love it, while there are those who are simply unable to change what they learned when they were fifteen. How did they ever figure out to plug in the car instead of taking it to the gas station?
The horn isn't something that is used enough to ever change muscle memory of being in the center. Elon has acknowledged it was a bad design and said it was changed on all MS made from Nov 2021 on and just needed a software update to be fixed (still waiting).

Plus the button positioning is horrible. You end up turning on wipers and disabling AP if you can actually get to it in an emergency.

Similar situation, 2015 85D, 153k miles. Adding 100 miles daily.

Everything works well. No car payment since 2018. Zero fuel costs since 2015 (free lifetime supercharging + home solar).

Complaints: squeaky driver's seat, dash rattle over rough roads, ride gradually less compliant over the years.

Hard to justify upgrading from my current situation at any cost, from a financial standpoint, especially in today's climate.

I do have a Lucid Air reservation in case the Tesla dies, but not expecting that car to be delivered anytime within the next 12 months.

I might become one of those guys who keeps their car for 20+ years and a million miles.

*cross fingers*

Last edited:
I have a P85DL with warranty set to expire in Dec. It is only AP1, but that is fine for me. I too enjoy the open roof. I searched for a 2016/2017 P100DL to fit my needs but the prices are too high for the small differences of things I gain compared to features lost. In the end, I decided to keep my car. It has been relatively problem free up to its currently approx 100k miles. (wheel bearing and suspension parts, mainly). As someone posted above, I ordered a 100kWh upgrade from 057tech. This allows more performance over the P85DL, faster charging, and longer range. While the upgrade was not inexpensive, I'll save some of that on taxes, insurance, premium connectivity, free supercharging, etc etc. I know its not much, but it'll help to 'update' the car that I have cared well for over the past years. I'm happy with the car, its in good shape, its just gettin older. It has the roof, plus suspension, 'next gen' front/rear seats, and a color combo I like. I also really liked the Ioniq5, but I would miss the tesla charging network that I've been spoiled by in the past.

I have a P85DL with warranty set to expire in Dec. It is only AP1, but that is fine for me. I too enjoy the open roof. I searched for a 2016/2017 P100DL to fit my needs but the prices are too high for the small differences of things I gain compared to features lost. In the end, I decided to keep my car. It has been relatively problem free up to its currently approx 100k miles. (wheel bearing and suspension parts, mainly). As someone posted above, I ordered a 100kWh upgrade from 057tech. This allows more performance over the P85DL, faster charging, and longer range. While the upgrade was not inexpensive, I'll save some of that on taxes, insurance, premium connectivity, free supercharging, etc etc. I know its not much, but it'll help to 'update' the car that I have cared well for over the past years. I'm happy with the car, its in good shape, its just gettin older. It has the roof, plus suspension, 'next gen' front/rear seats, and a color combo I like. I also really liked the Ioniq5, but I would miss the tesla charging network that I've been spoiled by in the past.
Interesting, I didn't realize 057tech offered 100kwh pack upgrades. Is there a thread you could point me to with more info about that process and cost?