Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a bad squeak coming from my suspension, front passenger side. I dropped the car off at 10:30 am and they called to inform me it was ready by 1 pm. They had to diagnose the squeak (upper control arm), replace it, and they also upgraded my FSD computer in that time.

Mobile tech did my drivers side arm in about 1.5 hours. Sad it failed after ~15,000 miles. Tech said it was a poor quality part on early Model 3s and they now use a new vendor. Planning to get the passenger side replaced before warranty expires.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
Did they update them at that time or something?
Tesla has made multiple revisions to upper control arms since the beginning of Model 3 production. He's trying to narrow down a date range since that's the easiest way. A more accurate way would be to use the revision in the part number for the control arms. The part number that I got for my driver side in July was FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-G). That letter G is the revision, and Tesla would have started on revision A. So you can see they have made multiple changes along the way. Headlights have also had many revisions.

By the way, my Model 3 was made in March 2018 and my driver side upper control arm started creaking at around 40,000 miles.

Tesla has made multiple revisions to upper control arms since the beginning of Model 3 production. He's trying to narrow down a date range since that's the easiest way. A more accurate way would be to use the revision in the part number for the control arms. The part number that I got for my driver side in July was FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-G). That letter G is the revision, and Tesla would have started on revision A. So you can see they have made multiple changes along the way. Headlights have also had many revisions.

By the way, my Model 3 was made in March 2018 and my driver side upper control arm started creaking at around 40,000 miles.
This is super helpful. My build is April 2018 and I'm at 37k miles and sometimes I feel like I hear a squeak, but not always, so I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

Mine were replaced last month - 18K miles on Oct 2018 build - bad squeak on bumps and steering wheel movement. I got a loaner and it was ready at the end of day. The worst part is I forgot how to turn on AP on a Model S and had to drive 20 highway miles manually! It was surprisingly disorienting.