Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It probably depends on a lot of things, but I'd say minimum of 2 hours. It took them 7 hours to do mine. Keep in mind that they also do a four wheel alignment after replacing it.
Not when you consider that Tesla also does a 4 wheel alignment when replacing one of these control arms. Also, they don't always start working on your car right away when you drop it off, and some cars have multiple issues to address at the same visit.

Not sure why unless they accidentally touch the toe adjustment, there's nothing else alignable on these cars

If you look at the shop manual, you'll see that there is plenty to adjust beyond the toe on the front and rear suspension. Don't believe what you hear from service centers or the interwebs.

Link? I'm under my car once a week since it gets raced on the weekends. I don't see any eccentrics or adjustable items unless we're talking about something like loosening the strut tower bolts and trying to push them further in the factory bolt holes.

If you look at the shop manual, you'll see that there is plenty to adjust beyond the toe on the front and rear suspension. Don't believe what you hear from service centers or the interwebs.

Link? I'm under my car once a week since it gets raced on the weekends. I don't see any eccentrics or adjustable items unless we're talking about something like loosening the strut tower bolts and trying to push them further in the factory bolt holes.
That's what he's referring to - the play you get from loosening stuff like knuckle bolts etc. Not sure what it amounts to, but it's probably not much more than "a little bit" of adjustment.

Is there an easy way to see the part number without disassembling everything? I ask because I bought the car used and I'm curious if they've already been replaced from the previous owner and Tesla won't tell me. Not sure if there is a way to see if from above if removing the frunk liner or what is the best way to go about that.

Is there an easy way to see the part number without disassembling everything? I ask because I bought the car used and I'm curious if they've already been replaced from the previous owner and Tesla won't tell me. Not sure if there is a way to see if from above if removing the frunk liner or what is the best way to go about that.
I believe there's a sticker with the part number on the top section. You can use an inspection mirror or your smartphone to take a picture. If the sticker has been there a good amount of time, it will probably not be readable anymore because it's not waterproof. I don't remember the exact location of the sticker, but it might also be readable from the top of the strut tower mounts where there is a removable plastic cover.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, just plan on replacing them in the future if they fail and budget for it.

Reactions: camthehombre
I believe there's a sticker with the part number on the top section. You can use an inspection mirror or your smartphone to take a picture. If the sticker has been there a good amount of time, it will probably not be readable anymore because it's not waterproof. I don't remember the exact location of the sticker, but it might also be readable from the top of the strut tower mounts where there is a removable plastic cover.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it, just plan on replacing them in the future if they fail and budget for it.
Yeah that's where it is, looks like I'm on G. Build date 7/2019. Seems like they're on H now:

upload_2020-8-14_12-11-13.png

upload_2020-8-14_12-11-43.png

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and PNWLeccy