Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to replace upper-control arm ball joints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked back on service invoices recalling hearing something on control arm.

12/17 build. I did have suspension replaced at Elons offering at 33k in miles. I don't think they changed the control arm in that however.

07/19 Car was transported back to MI and offloader heard a noise. They sent it back to Cleveland and replaced:

FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-F) They also aligned the car.

Also attached are my stickers on the control arm. So if you are 70k plus they might be dust like mine.
MVIMG_20200823_093817.jpg

I don’t understand why they charged you any fees for this? Shouldn’t this fall under warranty?

It was under warranty; please note the difference between the initial estimate and the final invoice. I posted everything.

They only thing I paid for was the tire rotation, a routine service item which I requested. I had never rotated them before, and they needed it, and it made sense to do it while the front tires were already off the car... bonus: free alignment.

They only charged him $39 for the tire rotation and everything else was covered. The 1st document is the estimate if it were not covered by warranty, and could include a "diagnostic fee". The 2nd document is what it turned out to be, and everything covered by warranty was free and any "diagnostic fee" was waived.

Exactly. Thanks!

Good to know thank you. I am headed in tomorrow. March 2018 build. No issues for 55k miles. In the past week they went from no issue to waking the dead anytime the vehicle moves at all (both sides). I am exceptionally disappointed that Tesla will not honor what's clearly a fleetwide part failure issue for the early-adopter Model 3s. Should make for an interesting conversation at the service center tomorrow.
Turned out to be one side only, even though it sounded like both to me. $550 to replace the one side. No noises, so appears to be resolved. (Til the other side goes.)

I just had mine replaced at the Alpharetta GA service center (suwaneedad not sure which one you were at). Appointment was at 8:30 and I was done and out the door at 10:16. They only replaced the right side since it was the only one squeaking so far. Recommended I check again before warranty expires as it seems they expect the other to start also (seems likely). I won't need to "check" though. There is no way to miss it when it starts. Honestly hoping it will start before warranty expires as I agree with suwaneedad that these obviously have manufacturing defects on early models (2018 LR AWD 38k miles)

2nd service appointment at different service centers, and overall both have been the best car service experiences I've ever had.

I found this thread looking for a squeaky suspension. My car just hit 51K miles so I'm out of warranty. I noticed this issue when car was new when going over speed bumps but I never dealt with it. Now it squeaks all the time. Anyone know how much the control arm costs at Tesla? (part only). There are TONS of them on ebay which is very telling. All are used and not sure I trust that these won't have similar issues if not already.

I found this thread looking for a squeaky suspension. My car just hit 51K miles so I'm out of warranty. I noticed this issue when car was new when going over speed bumps but I never dealt with it. Now it squeaks all the time. Anyone know how much the control arm costs at Tesla? (part only). There are TONS of them on ebay which is very telling. All are used and not sure I trust that these won't have similar issues if not already.
Latest part numbers end in G and/or H if you're buying off ebay. I heard they were $500-600 a piece new but not sure. At that price, might as well go with Mountain Pass Performance FUCA.

I just had mine replaced at the Alpharetta GA service center (suwaneedad not sure which one you were at). Appointment was at 8:30 and I was done and out the door at 10:16. They only replaced the right side since it was the only one squeaking so far. Recommended I check again before warranty expires as it seems they expect the other to start also (seems likely). I won't need to "check" though. There is no way to miss it when it starts. Honestly hoping it will start before warranty expires as I agree with suwaneedad that these obviously have manufacturing defects on early models (2018 LR AWD 38k miles)

2nd service appointment at different service centers, and overall both have been the best car service experiences I've ever had.
Yes, Alpharetta is where I went as well. Ended up replacing the right (not the left). I remain very frustrated by Tesla's choice not to own up to these sorts of early-build mfr defects in parts. It's preventing me from adding another Tesla to the stable, in fact. Too many repair costs and I'll end up getting rid of the 3 we have as well, which would be a pity of course. I buy EVs because I believe they are cost-superior to ICEs. That's been the case with our 2012 LEAF for sure; TBD whether it will be the case with our 2018 3LRRWD. Not going to gamble by adding a 2020 Y whenever they do produce the LRRWDs; need to see much greater reliability than what I've seen with our 3 to date.

I had both sides replaced on my 3/2018 build back in July. 41,600 miles at the time. Only the right was squeaking but they replaced both. My local DFW service center has been pretty good.

I am sitting at 47,900 miles now and am trying to make sure I get any issues addressed. As of now, just a passenger door that is a little harder to close than the rest.

Have a 2018 p3D at 23k miles with mount pass performance coil overs and the having the ball joint issue. Anybody having issues getting the warranty covered with coilovers on the car ? I got the estimate before the appointment and it’s 874 bucks. Seems high for a ball joint.