Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time to Shop for Winter Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I've ordered an S85 that I am getting in December and I'm not sure what to do regarding winter tires.

My option is either spend $4K with Tesla and buy their winter rims and tires and get the delivery centre to put them on before I pick my car up
OR
Get tires installed from a third party place by them removing the tires off the rims and putting on the new tires OR buying new rims and tires.

Of course cost matters and I think the $4k (or whatever it is in Canada) for tesla rims and tires is pretty expensive... but I do want the tires installed correctly with the sensors and correct torque.

What do current Tesla owners recommend I do and what have you guys done with your own vehicles.

If anyone can suggest any place in Mississauga/Brampton/Richmond Hill/Markham area for tires that do a great job that would be appreciated along with what to get.

Thanks,

Lak

I would go with a separate set of rims+TPMS+tires. They don't have to be from Tesla, so you either get each of them separately based on maybe price and/or preference; or wait for a used set of rims to be listed by one of the owners (you have time until December).

I'm personally going with Nokian Hakka R2s (took an appointment today), and will be using my current 19" wheels for winter. And I will buy a used set of 21" rims for the summer later. The sensors can be bought from TireRack for $479.64 (shipped to Canada including taxes and fees).

With all the positive stories I hear about the Nokian, I will not buy anything else. It looks like we will be having a serious winter this year as well and it's a RWD car after all.

Hi Guys,

I've ordered an S85 that I am getting in December and I'm not sure what to do regarding winter tires.

My option is either spend $4K with Tesla and buy their winter rims and tires and get the delivery centre to put them on before I pick my car up
OR
Get tires installed from a third party place by them removing the tires off the rims and putting on the new tires OR buying new rims and tires.

Of course cost matters and I think the $4k (or whatever it is in Canada) for tesla rims and tires is pretty expensive... but I do want the tires installed correctly with the sensors and correct torque.

What do current Tesla owners recommend I do and what have you guys done with your own vehicles.

If anyone can suggest any place in Mississauga/Brampton/Richmond Hill/Markham area for tires that do a great job that would be appreciated along with what to get.

Thanks,

Lak

Talk to your local service centre about pricing. Last year, the website pricing was $4000, but the price over the phone was $3000. Don't know why, but it seemed to be a Canadian deal at the time. Pricing for after market wheels and tires was around US$2400 at the time for me, so $3000 was in the same ball park especially given that the vehicle arrived with the winters installed (and the summer wheels/tires in the back!).

However, you are limited to the tires that Tesla carries (19" Pirelli Sottozero 2 at the time). I would have preferred a different tire (a Nokian or the X-Ice). Given that the vehicle was delivered in December and wheel/tire stock levels were low to non-existent, I was happy when Vancouver phoned to tell me that winters had arrived at the service centre the morning that the vehicle was to ship out.

Talk to your local service centre about pricing. Last year, the website pricing was $4000, but the price over the phone was $3000. Don't know why, but it seemed to be a Canadian deal at the time. Pricing for after market wheels and tires was around US$2400 at the time for me, so $3000 was in the same ball park especially given that the vehicle arrived with the winters installed (and the summer wheels/tires in the back!).

However, you are limited to the tires that Tesla carries (19" Pirelli Sottozero 2 at the time). I would have preferred a different tire (a Nokian or the X-Ice). Given that the vehicle was delivered in December and wheel/tire stock levels were low to non-existent, I was happy when Vancouver phoned to tell me that winters had arrived at the service centre the morning that the vehicle was to ship out.
Does that apply to the 21"s? Or just the winter wheels?

$3000 for the winter set is not bad at all! I'm going to pay around $1500 for the tires only; add $500 for the sensors and you get the rims for a thousand!

Hi Guys,

OR

Thanks,

Lak

What about all weather tires as an option? You then dont need winter wheels. I bought a set of nokian wrg3's and they impressed me last winter

babstude, you're the first person on the planet I've found who knows the WR G3 tires and actually has them on a Tesla (I assume). I ordered mine in early July. Five of them, in case one goes --- because you probably can't find any after November, if last year's sales are an indication.

How are they in Calgary summers?

good day; i actually have the wrg3's on the ICE; don't have the tesla yet :crying: !!

however having said that the tires were fine over the past year, tried some agressive cornering a few times with them and all seem well on my "sports sedan"; psst, too embarrassed to tell you what I drive pre-tesla :D just back from a road trip from YYC to YVR and back and they don't seem any worse then the goodyear all seasons my car previously had - big difference in the snow though; they are a decent snow tire for sure and i plan to order a new set for the MX when it shows up ;-)

Last edited:
Does that apply to the 21"s? Or just the winter wheels?

$3000 for the winter set is not bad at all! I'm going to pay around $1500 for the tires only; add $500 for the sensors and you get the rims for a thousand!

iKhalid,

The $3000 was for standard 19" wheels with Sottozero 2s and tire pressure sensors; balanced and mounted on the vehicle. The aero wheels were also available for the same price, but I didn't want them. No idea of pricing on 21"s.

Thanks, although I wouldn't take that to indicate much about use on a Model S. I'm still looking for someone who's had WRG3s (or 2s) on a Model S, especially in winter conditions.

The WR-g3 just came out in the Model S size, so no one has had them for more than a handful of days. Previously, no WR-xx tire was available in the Model S size.

(LMB spouse)

Just bought four WRG3 245/45R19 a handful of days ago at $330 US per tire. Prolly not the cheapest price, but I had trouble finding them at all. LMB didn't care for the stock Goodyears in the snow last winter, but doesn't want the cost and hassle of two sets of tires.

I was sad when I researched these last fall, and happy to learn that Nokian started making them in 245/45R19 this spring. A lot of places don't seem to have this size in their system yet, so mention that Nokian just started making them.

We're hoping to get another 4-5,000 miles out of the Goodyears before winter really arrives. Will try to check back in later with impressions of the WRG3.

I just ordered 4 Nokian Hakkapelitta R2's after my mechanic ordered one in for fit and size. It looked great, and I've read nothing but good about them on the discussion boards. I don't think they save much (if anything) over the standard Tesla offering - especially once you factor in the cost of ordering sensors from Tesla, but going by the comments, I don't expect to be disappointed. Plus, the rims he ordered are the spitting image of my standard Tesla 19' rims. I agree with LMB that they aren't the easiest to find, and my mechanic spent more time than he's going to get paid for to locate them, which is why he'll still get any business I can give him. Nik at Dan's Auto in Burlington.

@LMB/spouse: I had the WR G3s put on on September 26. They're going very well in summer and fall temperatures so far. Keep in touch . . . @Mr. Bigby, the R2s (a different tire) shouldn't be hard to find where you are. They're also commoner than the WR G3s, which I had to special-order.

@LMB/spouse: I had the WR G3s put on on September 26. They're going very well in summer and fall temperatures so far. Keep in touch . . . @Mr. Bigby, the R2s (a different tire) shouldn't be hard to find where you are. They're also commoner than the WR G3s, which I had to special-order.

I'll be very interested to hear how many km's you get out of them. I'd consider putting a pair of those on our minivan so I only have to change 1 set of tires each year.

I picked up my Dunlop Maxx tires at the Buffalo UPS store, delivered for $760 USD. Paid my $100.89 at the border and had them installed today at Aurora Tire for $80.00.
All-in-all, $950 for 4 snows mounted on my stock 19" - not bad.
As for the ride of the Dunlops - OMG I forgot how nice it is to drive on brand new tires. Bianca really seemed comfortable with the new tires after a few blasts up and down the 404 this afternoon =D