TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time to Start a Tesla Model Y Section?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ZachShahan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

It's hard to decipher some of the info we have so far, but we know that Tesla trademarked Tesla Model Y to complete the model lineup as S-E-X-Y (now S-3-X-Y). Elon has tweeted the Model 3 or the Model Y will have falcon-wing doors (and subsequently deleted that tweet). And we know there's supposed to be a crossover version of the Model 3, which seems like it must be the Model Y.

Tesla Model Y Tesla Model 3 Prototypes In This Pic?

Time to create a Model Y section? Or should Model Y discussions just be rolled into the Model 3 section for now?

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Why on Earth start a section based on random speculation about a vehicle we know nothing about except the name? It would be a waste of everybody's time.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think the 3 is more than enough for now. Tesla still hasn't got the X ramped out, and it needs to have a chance of the 3. One challenge at a time.

4. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

To have a place for threads as Y news (like this recent tweet) comes out.

And for all the fun speculation that occurs here. ;)

But I'm cool either way. Just thought I'd suggest it.

5. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

I'll save you the trouble of starting a whole new forum by providing the first page of threads:

When will the model Y be out?

Will it be on time?

What are the delays with the Model Y?

Is the model Y eating into Model 3/S/X sales?

How much will it be for the base?

Will the Model Y include Super Charging for base models?

There is no way the super charging network c

Will the Model Y get Falcon Wing Doors?

Is the Model Y for soccer moms?

Will the Model Y get ludicrous update?

Will the Model Y get a 100kWh pack?

Better economy/storage/seating/comfort/auto pilot/street cret/indie cred/ than the 3?

will I get the rebate on the Model Y ??

• Funny x 3
  6. rv1458

rv1458 Member

The Model Y is the roadster replacement (2 door performance car). It has falcon wing doors and is way cooler than a BMW i8. It's based on the Model 3 chassis. The Model 3x will be a crossover. How do I know? Elon told me so.

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Lonnie123

Lonnie123 Member

Elon tweeted that with the Falcons up on the new Model Y when you activate Maximum Plaid you will actually be able to take flight, thus heralding the onset of the Flying Car. In air super chargers (like how a jet refuels) based on the previous Snake Charger will be here within 2-3 years.

He deleted the tweet shortly after I read it though so I cant find it right now.

• Funny x 1
  8. Soolim

Soolim Member

#8 Soolim, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Yes, I heard the same whisper. The roadster has to be part of the SXY adjective. I disagree with the rumor that Y is the small bother of X.

9. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I'm personally not convinced there will be a crossover version of the 3/E. And if there is, it doesn't necessarily need it's own Model designation (can just be a variant of the 3/E if it's not radically different). I'm still betting the Model Y will be the next Roadster, this time custom designed by Tesla with supercharging and ludicrous performance, and the first Tesla properly suited for the race track.

Would also be nice to see a Tesla pickup truck some day, and if they are really adventurous, a motorcycle and a lawn tractor (that last one is for me! I hate my gas tractor). I'd be fine if the tractor didn't have Supercharger enabled. :p

• Funny x 1
  10. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

There are a lot of companies already doing electric motorcycles and mad safety ratings are hard to get when you have no structural cage surrounding you. There's no way Tesla will ever make an electric motorcycle, though I'd be really happy if some of the current makers would buy their batteries from Tesla once the Gigafactory is producing. Those bikes would likely benefit from improved range, and OMG, if they could use the Supercharger network, I think I'd be all over it.

11. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

Will the rear seats fold?

12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Will the frunk be large enough to hold a surfboard?

13. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

No, but it will hold two miniature golf bags.

14. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Where are the cup holders, where is the in door storage?! :tongue:

15. Soolim

Soolim Member

Is 3 year advance deposit of $50k required?

16. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

Unknown, but if you want to make sure you don't spend it on something else I'll hold it for you ;)

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Don't think we'll be seeing falcon wings on a roadster. I'm voting Model Y will be the 3 SUV/CUV, just as the X was the S SUV/CUV.

18. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

But would the battery of a motorbike be so large that it would need a supercharger at all?

19. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

#19 MassModel3, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Well Zero Motorcycles has a fully electric bike that will get 185 miles city, 95 highway with the add-in second battery pack. With the second battery pack it maxes out at 15.3 kWh. They say it takes 2.8 hours for a full charge with their fastest technology, way too slow for a cross-country type of drive. With the higher density GF batteries, that could probably go up to at least 18 or 20 kWh, but still, without high-speed charging (50% in 20 minutes or less) it's useless for long distance.

I don't know if the size of the battery being 1/3 the size of the smallest Model S battery would be what limits it on supercharging. I would think that the on-board electronics (charger) required to interface with the supercharger would be prohibitively heavy for a motorcycle.

20. 1208

1208 Active Member

Listen! If you name it Y, everyone who hates it including press will call it the Why?

I can even hear Jeremy Clarkson going Why? rightnow.

Better to call it the C.