TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Time to upgrade!!

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by speedyellow08, Oct 10, 2013.

1. speedyellow08

speedyellow08 Member

I am upgrading from 40kW to 60kW in less than 4 months. Like the car very much so far. Hopefully it lives up to its expectations. Is there anybody out there who upgraded earlier than me?

2. Lump

Lump Active Member

A few months back a guy in Facebooks Tesla model S owners club did the upgrade & said it went great, he basically wired the money & that night Tesla sent the update & he woke up with a 60, you may want to take advantage of the Supercharger sale, regularly its $2500 but currently $2k + sales tax.[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][/FONT]​

3. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I think he means he sold his 40 and is buying a 60 (at least I guess so because he was selling the 40 a few weeks ago)

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

why would you do that when they can just flip a switch and instantaneously turn your 40 into a 60?

5. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

You would have to ask him. That being said maybe it's because he wanted a different color combo or options that he had not purchased originally or were not available at the time he purchased his 40. Maybe he will chime in.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Some have made the argument that the 40 is a limited quantity and thus will have some collector value. "Ahead of the curve" collectors might be willing to pay a premium for it.

7. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I have heard the same viewpoint myself, but to me it makes no sense. They are really just 60kWh with a software limitation. The price is the only advantage to them so to pay a premium for that is sort of hard to justify. I think Tesla will be happy to buy them back as trade ins, flip the software switch and increase the value by $10k for 5 minutes of work.