TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Timed charging question

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Sandiegodoug, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Newby x owner here (2days)
    I was going to set charging to start at midnight. If I happen to go to supercharger, do I have to turn feature off? How about if just wanted to put a couple of hours in during day after a long day trip, maybe to go to a hockey game? Turn off and then back on?
    Sorry, never owned anything like this before.

2. martinicus

martinicus Member

You don't have to turn it off. The supercharger, or any destination charger, will start charging immediately. If you're at home and want to charge immediately you can override your schedule by hitting Charge Now, and then a confirmation will pop up. Or you can start it with the app.

3. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@martinicus is correct. Superchargers bypass he timer and ignore the setting.
    This brings up another suggestion-- it's a good habit to get into at SCs to confirm established charging and rate of charge before walking away from your car.

• Like x 1
  4. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

So I thought you just plug in and walk away
    Didn't realize needed to set anything. They didn't explain that. Mine came with a high amp charger if that means anything.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

#5 TexasEV, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    You don't set anything at a supercharger. You just plug in. But before you walk away, it's best to make sure charging has actually started. The high amp charger has nothing to do with supercharging. That is for AC charging, which is when you plug into an outlet or a J1772 charging station or HPWC-- but having the 72A charger only gives you a higher rate if you're drawing from a J1772 or HPWC that supplies that rate.

Once again I fault the Tesla delivery process for not explaining this. It they're not explaining the different types of charging, what are they doing? Do they think today's "mainstream" owners RTFM? Maybe they were spoiled by early adopters who had memorized the owners manual and watched all the videos, and knew as much about the car as they did.

• Like x 3
  6. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

No, nothing needs to be set at a supercharger. What I was referring to in my post above is to just make sure there are no charging issues-- a plug that's not fully seated, or a malfunctioning SC station-- before walking away from the car. In my first few SC stops after getting the MX last year, I was being too gentle in inserting the plug and would occasionally get a bad connection with no charging. You don't want to discover this after a 30 minute latte and bathroom break!

7. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Thank you all
    We love the car, but are a little frightened by all the tech. Don't want to hurt car or worse cause a fire because set charger wrong.
    Next thing I want to try is the local supercharger. The tesla community seems very helpful answering my questions

8. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Congrats on your new car, I'm sure you are going to love it.

Yes, in the beginning there will be some doubts on how to do things, but you will quickly find out, it is not scary at all after you've done a few charges and longer drives.

FYI, I don't want to overload you with information at this early point, but charge settings is also set to location. So if you have a timed charging at home for maybe 2 am, you don't have to change that if you charge at a mall for example.

9. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you don't have to set anything at all if you charge with superchargers, J1772 public charging stations, HPWCs, or with the UMC and a Tesla supplied adapter into a 120V or 240V outlet. The car sets the proper amps itself. When you read about someone changing a charging setting, it's because they're using some homemade kludge adapter for a different outlet than what Tesla adapters are made for. Stick with the basics, and you'll be fine.

10. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

I'll just give the one bit of advice because of what I hear you say about this feeling of not wanting to "hurt the car". You may be thinking of being gentle when plugging it in to not break something, but this is one of those things that works better when you put a little "authority" into it. Get the plug partway in, to make sure it's lined up right, and then give it a pretty solid shove to make sure it seats all the way in. If you push too gently, it may stick a little, and then you think it's done, but it may not be a good connection, or the charging port lock won't engage, and you'll have an error and reduced or no charging. I had that a couple of times from being a bit too soft when plugging in.

11. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

You are right
    I didn't push plug in hard enough
    Lucky, app told me that there was a problem with connection. I went out and pushed till I heard a click.