TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Timeline for Dash/CPU update?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Xenius, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Xenius

Xenius Member

Have there been any rumours or information on when the model S may see an increase in processing power for the central dash/touchscreen? Is this maybe already happening?

I'm mostly curious if I were to buy a new 70D, am I getting the same (now ~3year old) cpu running the car? I've heard a few complaints of sluggishness with the nav system, etc.

2. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I'm very curious about this too. It will be interesting to see what kind of CPU system is in the Model X.

3. liuping

liuping Active Member

The Model X will almost certainly have a new CPU/GPU, releasing a car in 2015 with a Tegra 3 would be ridiculous.

The question is when will that make it's way to the Model S. I'm hoping they let us know on the 29th.

4. Fiver

Fiver Member

Around April of next year.

Actually, to clarify, around the time of the Model 3 reveal. Perhaps a little before, but most certainly not after. The product lines don't really overlap so updating the S won't hurt possible 3 sales.

5. liuping

liuping Active Member

Since they cost about the same, I would not think the Model S sales VS Model X sales really matter much.

6. Xenius

Xenius Member

Here's hoping, bring on the 29th!

7. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

The other thing to consider, is if 7.0 was re-written specifically to decrease laggy performance on this platform. If so, it could extend the useful life of the current config.

8. ethune

ethune Member

I picked up my S this week and was worried about this issue, but have not seen any laggy performance at all. Pleasantly surprised.

9. liuping

liuping Active Member

It will definitely help with older cars.

But launching a new Model in 2015 based on a 4 year old chip (the Tegra 3 came out November 2011), would be completely crazy.