Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timeline for Dash/CPU update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenius

Apr 24, 2015
Havertown, PA
Have there been any rumours or information on when the model S may see an increase in processing power for the central dash/touchscreen? Is this maybe already happening?

I'm mostly curious if I were to buy a new 70D, am I getting the same (now ~3year old) cpu running the car? I've heard a few complaints of sluggishness with the nav system, etc.

Around April of next year.

Actually, to clarify, around the time of the Model 3 reveal. Perhaps a little before, but most certainly not after. The product lines don't really overlap so updating the S won't hurt possible 3 sales.

Around April of next year.

Actually, to clarify, around the time of the Model 3 reveal. Perhaps a little before, but most certainly not after. The product lines don't really overlap so updating the S won't hurt possible 3 sales.
Since they cost about the same, I would not think the Model S sales VS Model X sales really matter much.

The other thing to consider, is if 7.0 was re-written specifically to decrease laggy performance on this platform. If so, it could extend the useful life of the current config.
It will definitely help with older cars.

But launching a new Model in 2015 based on a 4 year old chip (the Tegra 3 came out November 2011), would be completely crazy.