Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timeline Musings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1200 sigs including the Canadian models. I don't know if they are launching in some other countries simultaneously; that could possibley add more sigs.

No, the Roadsters are not built in Fremont. The bodies have always been built at Lotus in the UK, and the North American Roadsters used to get their drive trains installed and final assembly done at Menlo Park.

Also, are roadsters being produced in Fremont as well??
Roadsters were built by Lotus in the UK with no motor or batteries. The gliders were delivered to Palo Alto for installation of drivetrain and PEM. I may be wrong but the current Roadster is nearing the end of production by Lotus. New Roadsters are not scheduled to be built for another 1-2 years. It is my understanding they will be built in Freemont.

I think the "250 roadster" means Roadster owners who have reserved a Model S, and are ahead of the general production line but after the signature line.
Has Tesla said something about the timing of Canadian cars relative to US ones?

P1 is about car # 1830 (80 Founder + 1500 Sig + 250 Roadster)...

Wasn't the first Founders' Roadster referred to as "P1" ?
To some, Founders' cars are "production" cars since they aren't VPs, RCs, beta, alphas, etc...
I feel like we never got a proper one letter designation sorted out there.
Part of me wants to call the first Founders' car "F1", the first Sig as "S1", and the first regular production as "P1", but I don't think they do it that way.

I stopped in at the Tesla store today, the info I received didn't seem super accurate, but anyway ...
>> They're expecting an updated car to replace the beta they have on show there, in a couple weeks which would have the real interior feel [ seems sooner than I'd expect ]
>> I asked about when we'll start locking in options, they thought some early customers already have
>> Test drives in May

They didn't know that you couldn't get heated seats without the full leather seat upgrade, and asked me if any cars without leather have heated seats... (my Subaru does, leaf does, ...)
Not the longer time sales staff I've talked to before and usually see there...

Last edited:
@ahimberg: we're hearing from multiple angles that Founder Series owners have indeed began picking their options. I doubt they would hop on TMC to disseminate this info though, so it's not unusual that we haven't heard it first hand.

1200 sigs including the Canadian models. I don't know if they are launching in some other countries simultaneously; that could possibley add more sigs.

From the TMC Tally:

US S 1,024 + SSL 221
Canada S 104
Europe/Asia S 182
Switzerland S 14
UK S 13 (May 21, 2011)
Hong Kong S 2 (April 27, 2011)
Australia S 9

Are all of the world-wide Sigs going to be produced before any of the non-Sigs get produced? With the rumor that Canada is 3 months behind US, it would seem likely then that some US GP cars get produced before Canadian Sigs get produced. I don't know if it's easier for them to produce all the Sigs at once and then all the rest, or if they're able to mix and match (including left-hand and right-hand drive) along the way. If some Canadians get their GP cars this year, that reduces the number of Americans that get their GP cars this year, making many of our earlier calculations even more optimistic.

@ahimberg: we're hearing from multiple angles that Founder Series owners have indeed began picking their options. I doubt they would hop on TMC to disseminate this info though, so it's not unusual that we haven't heard it first hand.

Quick question: Which ones are the Founder series? I know about the Sigs, and Special Sigs (friends and family right?).. Are the founder series for folks that work at Tesla? Are they counted in the MichiganModelS counts?

Quick question: Which ones are the Founder series? I know about the Sigs, and Special Sigs (friends and family right?).. Are the founder series for folks that work at Tesla? Are they counted in the MichiganModelS counts?

The Founder's series are cars before the Signature series and are for investors and other important people like Elon Musk...etc