Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timeline of 5.5 Years of Model S Ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is an interesting EV ownership satisfaction survey from JD Power... with the Model S leading the pack.

Survey shows EV owners will not go back to gas, brand loyalty is a bit ‘fickle,’ and Tesla leads (electrek.co)

2021005a.jpeg

Reactions: FlatSix911
Curious to see how refreshed Model S cars will be in comparison. This is technically the first real "refresh" of the car, even though I understand Tesla makes on going change and I'm sure a 2019 Model S looks nothing like a 2013 Model S underneath.

However, rumor is they are using megacasting for front and rear for the first time, new 12v battery that's supposed to last longer. New BMS, new chemistry, new physical battery architecture (but not new cells). With everything they've learned from Model 3 being mass produced and with warranty repairs, combined with Model S - have they found solutions that can translate from the Model 3 to Model S, and have they identified fixed the majority of warranty-related issues with the current Model S?

The Model S has had no competition in the electric sedan space its entire history. Now, within a year, it will have to compete with the Taycan, BMW I4, Audi RS etron GT, Lucid Air and whatever the Mercedes product is called.

Will shoppers go back to the legacy OEMs in hopes of higher quality/reliability?

Last edited:
Curious to see how refreshed Model S cars will be in comparison. This is technically the first real "refresh" of the car, even though I understand Tesla makes on going change and I'm sure a 2019 Model S looks nothing like a 2013 Model S underneath.

However, rumor is they are using megacasting for front and rear for the first time, new 12v battery that's supposed to last longer. New BMS, new chemistry, new physical battery architecture (but not new cells). With everything they've learned from Model 3 being mass produced and with warranty repairs, combined with Model S - have they found solutions that can translate from the Model 3 to Model S, and have they identified fixed the majority of warranty-related issues with the current Model S?

The Model S has had no competition in the electric sedan space its entire history. Now, within a year, it will have to compete with the Taycan, BMW I4, Audi RS etron GT, Lucid Air and whatever the Mercedes product is called.

Will shoppers go back to the legacy OEMs in hopes of higher quality/reliability?
You have to be delusional to think Porsche, BMW, Mercedes are better choices for reliability. Certainly better for pampering customers during frequent exorbitantly priced service visits….

I’m hoping for reasonable offerings from Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus … They seem to understand reliability….

This is technically the first real "refresh" of the car, even though I understand Tesla makes on going change and I'm sure a 2019 Model S looks nothing like a 2013 Model S underneath.

Does anyone know how much "under the hood" was changed with the 2016.5 refresh? I was under the impression it was more than just a removal of the nosecone -- that there were a number of other improvements to the design and build. I think I heard Rich Rebuilds mention in a ~2017/2018 video to beware of the older models and that the newer ones (no nosecone) were better built, or at least had fewer issues.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Does anyone know how much "under the hood" was changed with the 2016.5 refresh? I was under the impression it was more than just a removal of the nosecone -- that there were a number of other improvements to the design and build. I think I heard Rich Rebuilds mention in a ~2017/2018 video to beware of the older models and that the newer ones (no nosecone) were better built, or at least had fewer issues.
It’s not that simple; there were changes almost every month in the car through 2013-2016; it’s not just a “refresh has this, and everything previous to it had that”. For example I missed the heated steering wheel in the subzero package by 1week in Dec 2014.

But directly under the hood, the frunk was smaller to make way for the larger hvac hepa filter system. I wish I had that. Maybe that was the time they changed the parking brake to an integrated one also?Not sure what else changed at that exact time the refreshed front bumper happened, but that should be easily searchable.
Tesla Model S Refresh Details: New Front Fascia, HEPA Filtration, Charger Upgrade, Colors
There is a spreadsheet list of changes made in a timeline somewhere here in this forum…but these are just the changes that people noticed, not the tiny redesigns of wiring, or connections etc. that no one would notice other than mechanics.