Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I began truly following Tesla after Model S entered full scale production, so I am quite lacking of any concept of how long it took Tesla, or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), to rate the crash safety ratings of the Model S, or Model X, and to extrapolate those time periods out for the Model 3. When should we expect such a rating from the NHTSA, and even the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)?

Right now, all we seem to have in this regard is a tweet from Elon/Tesla where he compares side by side the driver's door impacts of a Model 3 with a Volvo S60. Perhaps I have missed more concrete evidence of the safety of the Model 3, but beyond that video, all I feel we have been told is assurances of the Model 3's safety.

Additionally, I presume Tesla has to provide those vehicles to at least the NHTSA, and those vehicles must be production. Is it reasonable to assume such vehicles have been provided, or not until the ramp up is more robust would such cars be provided? The IIHS may have to purchase the vehicles, as it is a non U.S. government entity, but I do not know offhand how that works.

I expect these findings to impact insurance prices domestically, and while I believe the Model 3 is safe, likely safer than majority of cars, I would like concrete evidence and ratings over Tesla boasting.

Note: these are United States safety organizations, insight to international entities that produce similar results is also welcome, such as their time table and requirements for new cars.

The tweet in question: Tesla on Twitter

February conference call they said "Initial crash test results have been positive, and all Model 3 related sourcing is on plan to support the start of production in July"

On July 3rd Elon tweeted that "Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule. Expecting to complete SN1 on Friday"

I believe that in July they produced 100 cars and not the 30 deliveries that everyone talks about. 30 went to customers, some were for crash testing and others for Tesla's own testing.

• Informative
Reactions: sooner
from the IIHS FAQ
"Q: How do you decide which vehicles to rate? Are there certain kinds of vehicles you don't test?

A: We try to cover as much of the marketplace as we can. Our testing prioritizes vehicles with high sales numbers that are used by mainstream drivers. We are always monitoring sales trends, and if a vehicle becomes popular we may add it to our test list. Exceptions also are made when manufacturers request and pay for testing."

also

"Q: Where do you get the vehicles you crash test and who pays for them?

A: We buy the vehicles we test from dealers just like an ordinary consumer. If the test isn't part of our regular schedule but was specially requested by the manufacturer, then the manufacturer reimburses us. Otherwise, it's paid for out of our crash testing budget."

I wouldn't expect the IIHS for quite some time. Likely not until around middle of 2018 unless Tesla offered one up to them. I don't see them doing so as I don't think they need the publicity bump until around that time anyways. There always seems to be a several month lag for "regular" cars with the IIHS. I'm sure Tesla expects top marks all around, although I'm very interested in how their headlights perform. That's been a major pet peeve of mine and I'm glad headlights are finally being tested.

I'm very interested in how their headlights perform.

I too am interested in this as I fear the Model 3 LED headlights with reflectors might not be up to the task of rural night driving at highway speeds. I find that at 60mph I'm "overdriving" the visibility range on my wife's 2016 Mercedes C-class w/ LED headlights, and only feel comfortable driving it with high beams. The Mercedes rightly received a "Poor" IIHS Headlight rating. I hope the Model 3 does better.

LED headlights were relatively new and very expensive a few years ago. Retro fitting LED bulbs in halogen reflectors has grown in the aftermarket (they are terrible for oncoming traffic) as the internal halogen reflector is not designed for the LED light pattern. Same with retrofit HID's. I'm sure you have seen them come towards you at night. From what I could see at the factory test drives online I don't think the LED headlights will be an issue on the M3.

Ouch! 60 mph into a stationary vehicle is quite an impact. Glad they walked away unscathed except for the cut on the passenger's arm. Wonder if the screen can have a screen protector put on it or if that would affect the touchability of it. I would expect some the of lamination like used in safety glass.
Good question. I wonder if the screen is gorilla glass or laminated like a windshield is?

Wonder if the screen can have a screen protector put on it or if that would affect the touchability of it

There are aftermarket screen protectors already. (I think I saw a review of one on YouTube recently.)

Elon has responded that they will look at bonding some plastic to the screen:
Adding software feature to open glovebox automatically when car comes to a stop after a crash. Will look at bonding a thin plastic sheet to the front or back of screen.