TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Timing end of charge to departure time on warm days?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rsg123, Mar 20, 2018.

1. rsg123

rsg123 Member

I understand that timing the end of home charging to coincide with your trip departure time is great for very cold days since the battery doesn’t have to heat itself as much while driving.
    My question is: does this make sense on warmer days as well? At what outside ambient temperature would this strategy make driving more inefficient because the battery is too hot?
    I live in NorCal where in the morning it can already be in the 80 degree range. On these very hot days should I try to get charging done during the earlier portion of the off-peak electric rates (ie 12am-3am instead of 5am-8am)?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No there’s no reason to do this. Charge whenever is most convenient for you and don’t think about it. Just enjoy your car and let the battery management system manage the battery.