Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Timing of when to receive updates based on how often the car is used?

GargantulaKon

FSD Beta Chill Member
Mar 16, 2021
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I started realized that when I don't use my car I start lagging behind on updates compared to most cars on TeslaFi. It happened about three times now when I stopped using my car for about a month or so.

Have any of you realized this? I'm on version 2021.4.15.12 with a Model 3 stealth performance with the Advanced setting.

It makes sense to me because they want to probably test the autopilot as they improve it and if you're not driving the car, they aren't getting data.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
Nope. In fact, I've got three similar Model S's in my garage right now and this last round of updates hit the one that's been sitting for a month before it got to the other two. The last of the three to get the update is the one that gets driven daily. Previously it was the opposite behavior. I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to updates in terms of how frequently you drive based on my ownership of very similar cars across several years that produce no discernable pattern.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
I don't use my cars much, but I still get regular updates. I don't think your driving habits have anything to do with updates. More likely you don't have good cell coverage where you park so you car isn't finding out about updates.

Reactions: jjrandorin

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Nope, my update frequency is pretty much exactly the same as it was previously. In 2019 I put 20k miles on my model 3p. In 2020 I put 5k miles on it (mostly working from home). Exact same update frequency.

• Informative
Reactions: GargantulaKon

GargantulaKon

FSD Beta Chill Member
Mar 16, 2021
I don't use my cars much, but I still get regular updates. I don't think your driving habits have anything to do with updates. More likely you don't have good cell coverage where you park so you car isn't finding out about updates.
My car is next to a WiFi spot, so connectivity isn't the issue. Even when I force to check for updates but going to the update screen, I don't receive it.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
My car is next to a WiFi spot, so connectivity isn't the issue. Even when I force to check for updates but going to the update screen, I don't receive it.

WiFi isn’t enough, you need cellular coverage. The Tesla servers use SMS to notify your car about updates etc. The car doesn’t stay connected to WiFi.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
WiFi isn’t enough, you need cellular coverage. The Tesla servers use SMS to notify your car about updates etc. The car doesn’t stay connected to WiFi.
Tesla also sends updates in waves so their servers aren't getting hammered by the entire fleet trying to pull the update file at once.

GargantulaKon

FSD Beta Chill Member
Mar 16, 2021
I can check my cell coverage from the cell bar indicator in my car, right? Or is that from my phone? I can check the manual to see. I thought I remember reading that it was for the car and not the connected phone.

PorthosJon

May 5, 2021
Westchester, NY
That's the exact opposite of what Tesla states. I have ZERO cell coverage in my neighborhood, but I have a WiFi AP immediately next to my MY in the garage and it gets updates (not as many as I would like!).

Also, you can open the Controls->Software panel and it will do an immediate check with the servers to see if there is an update queued for you. I check sometimes, and with Zero Cell signal, and full WiFi, it checks instantly.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
When your car is already connected to WiFi, it can check for updates etc. When your car is not connected to WiFi, the only way the Tesla servers can reach your car is via cellular. The car is not a web server, so it can't respond to inbound connections via WiFi. I assume Tesla designed it that way to prevent people from hacking into the car via WiFi.

Even though you don't have cellular coverage at home, you do when you're on the road, so Tesla can notify your car about updates when you drive.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
C

CyberGuard

So when a new car is being built in the Fremont, CA factory the first week of August 2021 why would that brand new car be equipped with software version 2021.3.106?

Why wouldn't Tesla install the latest available version?

It seems like 2021.3.106 is a "factory firmware" and if that is the latest one maybe Tesla needs to consider a refresh of how long they install them.

My car doesn't use any driver assistance features (like lane assistance) unless I activate autopilot.
My car doesn't have an option to select the preferred distance to the car in front of me while on cruise control.

Is there a way to download a software update to a USB stick and install it "offline"?
The wall charger has such an option in case it is not connected to the internet.

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Well, if Tesla is concerned about their servers being hammered with over the air updates maybe they should allow offline updates

No, they shouldnt, that would be very silly on their part to allow offline updates of their firmware for the vehicle, for a lot of reasons. With your user name being "cyberguard", It would seem that you would know why that is, but that may be an erroneous assumption on my part.

with_raiden

Apr 11, 2021
NYC
So when a new car is being built in the Fremont, CA factory the first week of August 2021 why would that brand new car be equipped with software version 2021.3.106?

Why wouldn't Tesla install the latest available version?

It seems like 2021.3.106 is a "factory firmware" and if that is the latest one maybe Tesla needs to consider a refresh of how long they install them.

My car doesn't use any driver assistance features (like lane assistance) unless I activate autopilot.
My car doesn't have an option to select the preferred distance to the car in front of me while on cruise control.

Is there a way to download a software update to a USB stick and install it "offline"?
The wall charger has such an option in case it is not connected to the internet.

I think you should sell the car since you bought a "half car".

The factory firmware is the "most recent stable built" hence why your car and the new model 3 I picked on August 9th shipped with it. You will receive updates soon, when I picked up my long range model Y in May of this (built in April), I received update 2021.4.18 which enabled lane departure warning. Last week I received 2021.4.21.3 which further improves lane departure warning and affords me to have a minimum following distance of 2.

Now, back to the model 3 that I picked up on August 9th which came with 2021.3.106. This version has object obstacle avoidance enable by default and it has a minimum following distance of 3 which you can use the right scroll wheel to change said number up to 7. I would suggest you spend some times reading the manual.

Your car the following driver assistance features enabled with firmware version 2021.3.106
1 - Lane departure (You can have the car assist or beep)
2 - Autopilot or TACC following distance has a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 7
3 - Obstacle avoidance is also enabled by default.

Reactions: Sandor
C

CyberGuard

With your user name being "cyberguard", It would seem that you would know why that is, but that may be an erroneous assumption on my part.

Are you saying that your assumption for a user name lets say like "Piggyz" is what?

with_raiden

Apr 11, 2021
NYC
We used to have a saying that seems it got forgotten

RTFM

Google it.
Haha, no one wants to spend time reading manuals anymore. Hence why a bunch of Youtubers make money by reading the manual and summarize said "knowledge" in a 5 minutes video.

Just a a reference, one of my sisters ordered a model Y in June. I told her, she would not receive the car until this month and to spend sometimes RTFM. She never read said manual, she instead watched a ton of videos on YouTube. Then came the day we picked up the model Y on August 20th. She had no idea how to setup a driver profile assigned a key to said profile nor how to setup phone key. I sat there while I watched her open YouTube to search for how to do stupid thing that are found in the manual.

• Funny
Reactions: MBx4

jjrandorin

Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Are you saying that your assumption for a user name lets say like "Piggyz" is what?

Assuming this is a real question (again, assuming, which I realize is not correct sometimes), that user name does not draw any specific comparisons, while "cyberguard" does. "Cyber" usually refers to cyberspace, or something to do with computers, and "guard" means protect, so your user name on its surface implies "protect computer" which implies some knowledge around computers, even if that isnt your primary function.

In any case, I also mentioned it could be an erroneous assumption. The cliff notes version as to why car firmware should never (and likely never will) be offered in an offline install as it means that it would be easily disassembled by people, and much additional hacking would ensue.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC