Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinkling sound

Rhytid

Dec 3, 2019
Maryland
I have a December 2019 M3P+ with 18,700 miles. I started to hear what I can best describe as a tinkling sound about a month ago. Definitely does not sound like a creak or groan. Not really a rattle either. It sounds like if you have some coins in a sock and were shaking it.

If anyone has had a bad speedometer cable that squeaked, that’s close to what this sounds like.

It seems to be coming from somewhere in the front passenger side and seems to happen when going over 60 mph.
Crazy thing is that it doesn’t seem to be related to road bumps.
Anyone else have anything like this or have any ideas?
Thanks.

AxlxA

Jun 23, 2020
Bay Area
I have a December 2019 M3P+ with 18,700 miles. I started to hear what I can best describe as a tinkling sound about a month ago. Definitely does not sound like a creak or groan. Not really a rattle either. It sounds like if you have some coins in a sock and were shaking it.

If anyone has had a bad speedometer cable that squeaked, that’s close to what this sounds like.

It seems to be coming from somewhere in the front passenger side and seems to happen when going over 60 mph.
Crazy thing is that it doesn’t seem to be related to road bumps.
Anyone else have anything like this or have any ideas?
Thanks.
Take a video man. These are so hard to give advice on especially with rattles or what not

Rhytid

Dec 3, 2019
Maryland
Take a video man. These are so hard to give advice on especially with rattles or what not
I thought about that but because it only becomes noticeable over 60 mph and because it is not a very loud noise, it’s hard to appreciate in a recording with all the background/road noise.

AxlxA

Jun 23, 2020
Bay Area
I thought about that but because it only becomes noticeable over 60 mph and because it is not a very loud noise, it’s hard to appreciate in a recording with all the background/road noise.
Then have a friend drive, you sit in passenger and start trying to pin point to this sound.

Rhytid

Dec 3, 2019
Maryland
Then have a friend drive, you sit in passenger and start trying to pin point to this sound.
Posting an update.
So the sound had been getting slightly louder and also seemed to start at lower speeds. At highway speeds, it was getting downright annoying even with radio on.
I narrowed it down to somewhere around the passenger door and thought it may be wind noise that’s getting transmitted.
So today, I wiped down the rubber seals around the passenger door clean and then applied thin coating of silicone grease.
So far, it seems to have solved the problem. No more noise!!!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC