Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint 35% vs 50% vs Leave it alone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you mentioned 35%, but if you want to have an idea, here's a Model 3 we did in 30% around the sides and back and 70% on the front windshield. 30% is just slightly darker than 35%, but I show you how it looks from the inside because it's way different than from the outside. If this looks too dark for you then 35% probably won't be much better. If you DO like how this looks, then 35% may be a good bet for you.

Reactions: CyberB
@Charjedup,
Absolutely love the transitional CoolVu film!!!

Which of the 4 film choices did you choose?
CV75/50, CV55/35, CV35/20, CV25/15?

Finally, have you noticed or measured any dB sound reduction of outdoor road noise?

I went with the legal film which is 55/35 film. I had it tinted a couple of days after getting it so I can’t really say. I don’t have issues with excessive noise so maybe!

I used Llumar Stratos. Front windshield did 80% which has a blue hue. Seen from outside the car, it has a rainbow effect.All other windows are 35%. 35% is perfect for me, cops don't really look at me and it is dark enough to give a bit of privacy and heat rejection is as good as it gets.

In all honesty, 35% isn't too dark. For the windshield I would said stay 50% and up. 50% is visibly a lot darker.

If you go into a tint shop you can see how each tint looks on each car. My tint shop owns a Tesla M3 and they use it as a sample car. You can sit in it and get a feel for what the results will be like.

Also, take this into consideration, look at the tint from ground. So take a knee and check it out to see what the darkness is. If you're standing up it will look different. Take all angles into account.

B2DE524A-E35D-4FFB-9D0C-9168684D8297.jpeg
63366573-6123-4C22-9D7A-3918BBF2C0E2.jpeg
422EF49F-69CA-46FB-AAEF-8178D905E220.jpeg
This my SunTek CXP 35% tint on sides and back. Nothing on windshield.

I did Xpel XR plus 45 on the sides and 30 on the back (one piece). Wanted the back darker so that the back glass looks more uniform. When it was untinted I really disliked how prominent the clear part of the back window was compared to the darkened sections. I did not do the top glass (no noticeable difference between top and back glass from inside). I personally think the 45 looks classier and almost factory compared to the darker 30 I see on a lot of model 3s. I also like the look of the white seats from the outside and didn’t want to lose that. Plus I like people being able to see my hand gestures . Does a great job blocking heat.
C5093D9D-C7EA-4011-B621-0286D6A03C38.jpeg

I know you mentioned 35%, but if you want to have an idea, here's a Model 3 we did in 30% around the sides and back and 70% on the front windshield. 30% is just slightly darker than 35%, but I show you how it looks from the inside because it's way different than from the outside. If this looks too dark for you then 35% probably won't be much better. If you DO like how this looks, then 35% may be a good bet for you.

Looks great in Photosync 30%.

Window tint often looks different from different angles, lighting conditions, and interior color. If you have a white interior, consider going a shade dark from what you had originally considered. From our 20+ years experience in the industry, customers tend to regret not going darker, and rarely the other way around.

In terms of window films, Spectra Photosync IRD is currently the highest heat rejecting window film there is. Spectra PhotoSync IRD® | Prestige (If you do a search, you will find lots of info on this, especially for Tesla owners) The IRD line for Spectra Photosync was released last year, and improves on what was already the best heat rejecting tint there is. We've compared it to the likes of Xpel, 3M, Suntek, Llumar...ect, and Photosync IRD stands out in front.

We put this vid together last year in the midst of 90+ degree weather.

Reactions: Snowball316
35%? 50%? Y’all wild.

I have 18% all around and 50% on the windshield. No regrets. Ultimate privacy and heat protection.

View attachment 512090
That looks sharp! Was going to get 20% on my two front X Plaid to match the factory rears but 50% is legal here in OH. Was thinking who cares until I got pulled over yesterday driving through one of the small towns after a weekend on the lake b/c the cop said I didn’t have plates. I had just picked up the X plaid last week and they put the temp tag in the back but it’s too dark for them to see it. Don’t want to give them any reason to pull me over let alone if my wife is driving the car. Figure they want any reason to pull someone over.

Reactions: dsm363
That looks sharp! Was going to get 20% on my two front X Plaid to match the factory rears but 50% is legal here in OH. Was thinking who cares until I got pulled over yesterday driving through one of the small towns after a weekend on the lake b/c the cop said I didn’t have plates. I had just picked up the X plaid last week and they put the temp tag in the back but it’s too dark for them to see it. Don’t want to give them any reason to pull me over let alone if my wife is driving the car. Figure they want any reason to pull someone over.
I think you'll be happy with 50%. I've had 70% on all side and back windows for years in a much hotter climate and it's not an issue. As long as you precool your car, you'll be ok. But should do that no matter what tint you have.