Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint 35% vs 50% vs Leave it alone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an appt for tinting my windows on Monday but am now getting cold feet. I wanted to tint only for heat/UV rejection but want the visibility especially from the rear window. (i tend to look for "fast moving Dodges" just out of habit). Aesthetics baah, #stealth lifestyle.

I originally was going to ceramic tint 35% on only the 6 side windows but now am thinking it may be to dark and just draw unwanted attention. My choices are -

• Should i go to 50% on the sides?
  • I'm over thinking this and just go 50% all around?
  • Be a Stormtrooper. 35% ain't that dark with a blk interior on a white car.
  • Why bother 50% isn't enough especially if you don't do the rear. Save your money for suntan lotion.
tia

No tint is legal on the front side windows in my state

my $ 0.01 worth:

I have also been perseverating on this for my Model 3 (Midnight Grey).

I have decided on 35% on side windows (front and back).
That side window front/back different tint look is unattractive.

70% on windshield and roof. The glare in SoCal is substantial.
Yeah, "illegal" but......did the same on my last car -- no problema for 7 years!

Stormtrooper? I'm thinking this combo is more Mandalorian.

I ended up with 45% on all 6 side windows, nothing on the back. The only change I would make would be to have used 35% on the rear 4 side windows and 45% on the 2 front sides. More rear seat security.
Glad I did nothing on the rear glass for visibility at night.

I ended up with 45% on all 6 side windows, nothing on the back. The only change I would make would be to have used 35% on the rear 4 side windows and 45% on the 2 front sides. More rear seat security.
Glad I did nothing on the rear glass for visibility at night.

Do you feel that the 45% tint on just the sides does enough for insulating your car ?

I have 50% on just the side windows. I really like it, they look like they were meant to be that way.
DSC05033_AuroraHDR2018-edit-2.jpg

DSC05078_AuroraHDR2018-edit-2.jpg

DSC05088_AuroraHDR2018-edit.jpg

I have that same exact decision to make Tuesday morning. I have the white interior so I was considering the 35%. I just don’t want anything that looks too dark. I’ll have to see what it looks like on an actual car instead of a small sample square.

Do you feel that the 45% tint on just the sides does enough for insulating your car ?

It does for me. I used Premiere Films Spectra Photosync which has great heat rejection qualities for the tint level. Up here in the cold weather the suns low and fires directly into the side windows. 45% is not really dark though so if your going for the look it may be to light.

992A2162-B32C-4638-A0F3-7CE7CC3F4083.jpeg

Choosing tint is really a personal preference and depends on your needs. If you want privacy, then you have to go darker. If you do not care about privacy and want the heat/UV rejection benefits, you can go with a lighter ceramic tint.

I personally chose Xpel XR Prime Plus 55% on all sides and the rear. You can definitely notice the heat rejection benefit. I did not want to darken the inside of the car as I have the white interior and love the "light and bright" feeling inside.

I personally would arrange to see a couple cars in person. Maybe you can ask your installer to show you some other Model 3's with the different tint percentages you are considering.

Another reason I chose a lighter tint was for night vision and legal liability reasons. Darker tints, IMO, can reduce visibility at night, esp in areas where the exterior lighting is poor. If you get in an accident at night and someone notices your illegal tint, they could claim that your visiion was impaired and that contributed to the accident.

There are also a bunch of videos on youtube that you may want to check out. Here are a couple examples. I found the second video below to be especially informative.

For those who tinted the 1 piece roof to the back. Did you get a full tint that cover the entire thing or just half that covers the non tinted part? If you only did half, what percentage did you use and does it look nice with the tint overlapping the original tint of the roof?

For those who tinted the 1 piece roof to the back. Did you get a full tint that cover the entire thing or just half that covers the non tinted part? If you only did half, what percentage did you use and does it look nice with the tint overlapping the original tint of the roof?

I had the whole thing tinted with 50%. They did the back glass in two pieces with the cut along one of the defrost lines, which isn't noticeable at all.

• Informative
Reactions: MHATB FLA
Full film 1-piece on the entire rear glass. Non-ceramic per installer suggestion due to ceramic absorption and glass cracking issues. Doing it half way is half-ass IMO. Having a seam is not baller to me.

Yes, please post some pics if possible. Thanks

I'm very happy with it i thought i could feel the lack of heat as the sun came in from the side. Though it could just be my mind wanting it to be so. For me its the right amount of subtle shade.

The pictures make it look a LOT darker than it is. My wife didn't notice the difference but then i don't notice when she cuts her hair.

Solar Gard Vortex IR 45% Ceramic tint Only the 6 side windows done.

In the shade
IMG_20200217_Shade.jpg

Sun @ about 4 o'clock
IMG_20200217_drvr.jpg

IMG_20200217_Passgr.jpg

Tinted side and untinted windshield comparison
IMG_20200217_Clr _tint.jpg

I'm very happy with it i thought i could feel the lack of heat as the sun came in from the side. Though it could just be my mind wanting it to be so. For me its the right amount of subtle shade.

The pictures make it look a LOT darker than it is. My wife didn't notice the difference but then i don't notice when she cuts her hair.

Solar Gard Vortex IR 45% Ceramic tint Only the 6 side windows done.

In the shade
View attachment 512233

Sun @ about 4 o'clock
View attachment 512234
View attachment 512235

Tinted side and untinted windshield comparison
View attachment 512236

Cool. Looks great!