Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
So i'm planning to get my car tinted this week, 20% on all 4 windows (doors). I'm curious for the rear windows, i'm debating if i should or shouldn't tint it. Has anyone left the rear window as factory and has pics that they'd share?

Also for those who tinted half the rear windows (instead of full), what do you think and what percentage did you end up doing it with to blend in with the darker area of the glass roof?

Please do not reply if you have your rear window done all one piece. I'm just gather some info regarding half rear window tints. (no offense to those folks).

I have blue M3 with black interior and dropped it for tint. choose Llumar Pinnacle 40 all around except windshield. Not sure how it going to look yet. sometime I wonder shouldn't have gone for Pinnacle 50! I don't like it too dark.

• Informative
Reactions: MHATB FLA
Also for those who tinted half the rear windows (instead of full), what do you think and what percentage did you end up doing it with to blend in with the darker area of the glass roof?

When you say half the rear windows, I assume you mean the back glass. I have seen several that have just tinted the lower half, but it looks terrible (IMO) from inside the car... Outside looks OK... Regardless of shade, it's still going to stand out like a sore thumb from inside the car if that matters to you.

@ngogas,

Just FYI, and I know this isn't the question you asked, but your profile shows you're in Utah. Utah state law says that total visible light transmission of film + glass cannot be below 43% on the front side windows. Just letting you know that if you put 20% film there, that's probably not legal in Utah without a medical exemption.

Be safe!

(As a side note, I did tint the back window of my Model 3, but I did the whole window, not just half.)

@ngogas,

Just FYI, and I know this isn't the question you asked, but your profile shows you're in Utah. Utah state law says that total visible light transmission of film + glass cannot be below 43% on the front side windows. Just letting you know that if you put 20% film there, that's probably not legal in Utah without a medical exemption.

Be safe!

Yup... sucks but it is what it is... :(

I have blue M3 with black interior and dropped it for tint. choose Llumar Pinnacle 40 all around except windshield. Not sure how it going to look yet. sometime I wonder shouldn't have gone for Pinnacle 50! I don't like it too dark.

So did you not do the rear windows at all? if show, post a pic when you get her back from the tint shop.

All the images I've seen of a half tint on the rear window don't look that great, unless you mind the very noticeable cutoff line. I suggest no tint at all for the rear window instead of going half tint.

That is what i'm leaning toward, is to leave the rear windows as is. anyone have a pic of rear being left un-tinted and the door windows tinted? Seem majority so far prefer non rear window tint over half piece.

I am a professional window tinter in Pittsburgh... I have done many model 3s... all have had full rear windows done in one piece.. make sure you go to a reputable shop and it is not an issue. Only caution is the computer module located behind trim on passenger side of back window.

I am a professional window tinter in Pittsburgh... I have done many model 3s... all have had full rear windows done in one piece.. make sure you go to a reputable shop and it is not an issue. Only caution is the computer module located behind trim on passenger side of back window.

Thanks!

So in your opinion, one piece tinting piece would not cause the glass to break down the road on a hot day with the rear back UV glass?

20181003_161846.jpg

Attachments

• 20181003_141802.jpg
    20181003_141802.jpg
    947.6 KB · Views: 184
I got a half tinted rear windows @ 20 pct. From the outside you cant tell that it is only half tinted, however looking from the inside it is quite noticeable, borderline annoying actually. But the entire tint job was super cheap for me and I was on a budget (I know you shouldn't go cheap on tint, but it has a lifetime warranty).

Attachments

• 20181004_132518.jpg
    20181004_132518.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 20181004_132457.jpg
    20181004_132457.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 198
I got a half tinted rear windows @ 20 pct. From the outside you cant tell that it is only half tinted, however looking from the inside it is quite noticeable, borderline annoying actually. But the entire tint job was super cheap for me and I was on a budget (I know you shouldn't go cheap on tint, but it has a lifetime warranty).

Thanks for this info. You are right, that would super annoy me when looking back. I think i'm going to save money and leave the back as is.

wait, it's by the passenger side back window? I always thought it's the water damage caused by water leaking into the front windshield and dash gap.

I'm looking to do 35% 3M Crystalline on the doors and 3M Color Stable on the rear because they can do full in that type. Crystalline was only available for half rear. Although illegal, I'll probably do the front in a 90% in Crystalline when summer comes around.

I called T sport line and the owner said tinting the FRONT WINDSHIELD can cause computer malfunction. This is due to water dripping under dash and coming in contact with a computer. Quite a bit of water is used during tinting process. My advice is make sure the installer is aware.

3M cysteine is extremely pricey. The advantage of the cysteine is that is blocks a tremendous amount of heat even at the lightest color.

I plan on getting 3M color stable (1 grade lower than 3M cysteine) on all 4 doors and 3M cysteine for windshield. As far as the back I'll probably go we with a light color 3M color stable to ensure the back window isn't too dark.

I have so far been sticker price shocked with a few quotes being from $950 to $1,500 for full window coverage of 3M cysteine.

How much have you guys paid?

Reactions: DylanM