Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone tint the front windshield with ceramic clear tint to reduce heat? If so how much was the cost if you do not mind sharing.

You can check the group buys to get an idea of pricing, but about an extra $100 to do the windshield. Just do your research, as others have reported issues with insurance claims in the past due to front being tinted.

Anyone tint the front windshield with ceramic clear tint to reduce heat? If so how much was the cost if you do not mind sharing.

Be extremely careful! When tinting the front windshield water from the tinting process can drip inbetween the dashboard and damaged computers!
When it comes to the front windshield I feel it's better to go with quality workmanship. 3M crystalline is a must for the front windshield. 3M crystalline advantage over all other products in the industry is that it does a phenomenal job of reflecting Heat AT LIGHT SHADES (not dark.) Even a almost translucent 3M crystalline tint reflects Heat greatly. The downside is it is extremely expensive. T Sportline in Hollywood charges $450 just for the front windshield.
As such I will not be tinting front windshield.

Here is my car tinted at 20% leaving the rear as is with white interior. Makes it look like 35% in the sun. Anyone in Utah hit sunblock window tint (Errol) is the best. My 3rd car done with him.

He’s done many model 3’s.

Attachments

• 4476D512-038D-4C74-B342-5C1025BD60C4.jpeg
    4476D512-038D-4C74-B342-5C1025BD60C4.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 7AD04E61-F6CC-467D-88E4-F66FD44C3BA8.jpeg
    7AD04E61-F6CC-467D-88E4-F66FD44C3BA8.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 8BA095BE-5A57-471D-83F9-C43838D829F7.jpeg
    8BA095BE-5A57-471D-83F9-C43838D829F7.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 235
I called T sport line and the owner said tinting the FRONT WINDSHIELD can cause computer malfunction. This is due to water dripping under dash and coming in contact with a computer. Quite a bit of water is used during tinting process. My advice is make sure the installer is aware.

3M cysteine is extremely pricey. The advantage of the cysteine is that is blocks a tremendous amount of heat even at the lightest color.

I plan on getting 3M color stable (1 grade lower than 3M cysteine) on all 4 doors and 3M cysteine for windshield. As far as the back I'll probably go we with a light color 3M color stable to ensure the back window isn't too dark.

I have so far been sticker price shocked with a few quotes being from $950 to $1,500 for full window coverage of 3M cysteine.

How much have you guys paid?
My quote here in Kansas City is $549 for the doors in crystalline and rear full in color stable. Then another $279 for the windshield in crystalline. I think I'm moving to FL by the time summer rolls around.

@ngogas,

Just FYI, and I know this isn't the question you asked, but your profile shows you're in Utah. Utah state law says that total visible light transmission of film + glass cannot be below 43% on the front side windows. Just letting you know that if you put 20% film there, that's probably not legal in Utah without a medical exemption.

Be safe!

(As a side note, I did tint the back window of my Model 3, but I did the whole window, not just half.)

Utah is pretty lax about the tint laws, I have never heard of someone getting pulled over specifically for tint. Even if they ticket you for it the fine is only $50.00 or no fine if you are willing to remove it. The only real worry is the possibility of insurance denying coverage if you have an accident at night.

There is a bill out there right now to make it 35%, hopefully it goes through. I feel like the model 3 let's so much light in through the windshield that 20% doesn't look far off legal on it unless the windshield is tinted.

I never thought about tinting my windshield in the past but the 3 has such a large windshield that the sun is in my eyes at all but high noon it seems.

As far as the original question, I tinted the whole back so I can't say how the half looks. If you want a good tint shop that has worked on a lot of model 3's PM me and I will get you in touch with them, they may even have some pics of what you are looking for.

@abstrakt - very nice - thanks for sharing. I live in the neighboring city, CH down the road from you.

I like the 5% rear. funny, i came home with it and my wife said, why did you not do 5% all around. LOL and i literally said, "we live next to speed trap city"....

I sort of like the way the rear windshield fads into the clear glass; so i sorted wanted to keep that look cause it was sort of unique. All around look sweet too.

Reactions: Abstrakt1
Utah is pretty lax about the tint laws, I have never heard of someone getting pulled over specifically for tint. Even if they ticket you for it the fine is only $50.00 or no fine if you are willing to remove it. The only real worry is the possibility of insurance denying coverage if you have an accident at night.

There is a bill out there right now to make it 35%, hopefully it goes through. I feel like the model 3 let's so much light in through the windshield that 20% doesn't look far off legal on it unless the windshield is tinted.

illegal tints in utah DO get people pulled over, although not often (as you say), but it's a pull-over-able offense (unlike no front plates) so it's up to officer discretion. It's used as a reason to pull a car over if suspicious, so if you have illegal tint make sure you have nothing else illegal about your passengers or cargo as that will quickly become the real problem if pulled over for tint.

Would be nice if law lowered to 35% - good strength for most people. I'll still do 15-20% tho.

Can you send me info on the local tint shop? I usually drive to vegas for my tints.

illegal tints in utah DO get people pulled over, although not often (as you say), but it's a pull-over-able offense (unlike no front plates) so it's up to officer discretion. It's used as a reason to pull a car over if suspicious, so if you have illegal tint make sure you have nothing else illegal about your passengers or cargo as that will quickly become the real problem if pulled over for tint.

Would be nice if law lowered to 35% - good strength for most people. I'll still do 15-20% tho.

Can you send me info on the local tint shop? I usually drive to vegas for my tints.

I always thought it was a secondary offense and they needed something else to pull you over for. My passengers and I are usually legal but good to know that there is some risk of getting pulled over for it.

For my tint I use this shop, they have good pricing and have done a good job on three different vehicles for me now. They do PPF, ceramic coatings and vinyl wrapping as well. If you decide to use them send me a message and I will reach out to my buddy in the shop and make sure he does your car himself. He drives a model 3 as well so he is really knowledgeable about the unique needs of the car.
The Original Clearbra®, The Ultimate Vehicle Protection. We use a Custom, Proprietary covering for your Car, Boat , Truck to avoid Rocks, Sand and Weather Damage.

I am planning to get my windows tinted but am unsure what percentage to get. Ideally I would like to have 5% in the rear 3 windows and 20% in the front two window, but I am wary about how this would affect visibility at night and of course not complying with CA state tinting laws. Not sure how strict cops are around here but I've had a mix of a opinion from friends who have received fit-it tickets while others have had no citations for having dark tints.

To be on the safer side I was also thinking 20% in the back and 35% in the front. But love the aesthetics of dark windows on the black model 3.

If you have got your windows tinted, what percentage have you got/would recommend?

I am planning to get my windows tinted but am unsure what percentage to get. Ideally I would like to have 5% in the rear 3 windows and 20% in the front two window, but I am wary about how this would affect visibility at night and of course not complying with CA state tinting laws. Not sure how strict cops are around here but I've had a mix of a opinion from friends who have received fit-it tickets while others have had no citations for having dark tints.

To be on the safer side I was also thinking 20% in the back and 35% in the front. But love the aesthetics of dark windows on the black model 3.

If you have got your windows tinted, what percentage have you got/would recommend?
You can find a few threads on this in the search.