Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
đź‘Ť I've had Crystalline 40 on past cars and Ceramic IR 25% on my previous model Y's front side windows - aesthetically the CIR looked better but it was a little bit too dark (completely subjective). Heat rejection was pretty equivocal. Wish I could comment on how well the CIR 70% worked on the rear but I never got to sit in the back of that car.

I almost skipped out on tinting the rear for my second model Y but the wife said she wants the most protection for our little one so that's how we ended up with Photosync on the rear. I was on the fence between 70 and 55 and ultimately ended up with 55.
I ended up doing 70% for the rears and 50% up front in the 3M Ceramic IR and so far love it. Not too dark for sure and have to admit I do notice a difference in terms of "feeling" the heat from the windshield vs. the side windows, so much so that I'm thinking about tinting the windshield. Sounds like heat rejection was about the same for you between the IR and Crystalline? I got a quote to do the windshield in 70 Ceramic IR for 200 so I may go with that.

I ended up doing 70% for the rears and 50% up front in the 3M Ceramic IR and so far love it. Not too dark for sure and have to admit I do notice a difference in terms of "feeling" the heat from the windshield vs. the side windows, so much so that I'm thinking about tinting the windshield. Sounds like heat rejection was about the same for you between the IR and Crystalline? I got a quote to do the windshield in 70 Ceramic IR for 200 so I may go with that.

Highly recommend doing the windshield as it's the biggest source of heat. I can't wait to get mine done.

The Crystalline 40 feels about the same as IR 25. I thought the IR 25 was a bit too dark at night though but surprisingly the Photosync 30 is perfect at night. Good visibility with less glare from headlights behind me. I just leave the autodimming off now.

Did Hamid do your windshield too? If yes, which film?

I only use him for XPEL XR+. Let me tell you, if it wasn’t for his cheap pricing I wouldn’t ever go to him. Had an instance on my brand new 200k sports car with a full red leather dash. He tinted the windshield and let the soap and water sit on the dash. A few days after tinting I noticed the dash was entirely warped.

I called him and he said he “knew an upholstery guy” okay buddy, this is a replacement job, not an upholstery repair. Lucky for him, the dealer replaced it for free under warranty. But he was ungrateful about the entire situation and I can’t forgive him for it. I would still take cars to him, but goodness it has to be at least 25% off.

But anything rare or limited production, forget about it.

Let’s not mention he has quoted prices over the phone and then when I arrive the price goes up, I have to remind him.

He also doesn’t use a laser plotter. Everything is hand cut against the glass.

Last edited:
Do you notice a blueish tint in your front windows and a brownish tint in your rear ones?

I read on some threads that 3M has a blueish tint and causes the rears to appear more brown

Do you notice a blueish tint in your front windows and a brownish tint in your rear ones?

I read on some threads that 3M has a blueish tint and causes the rears to appear more brown
Not particularly but now that you're pointing it out, I'll probably start noticing it =). I wear sunglasses in the car most of the time which kinda casts a slight rose hue so the blue/brownish thing may be there but I just haven't noticed it. I'll check it out in the daytime next time.

Reactions: Automaz_
Highly recommend doing the windshield as it's the biggest source of heat. I can't wait to get mine done.

The Crystalline 40 feels about the same as IR 25. I thought the IR 25 was a bit too dark at night though but surprisingly the Photosync 30 is perfect at night. Good visibility with less glare from headlights behind me. I just leave the autodimming off now.
Good to know. Curious, do you wear polarized sunglasses? I do notice a rainbow effect on the front tinted windows with the 3M. Not the back, though. Curious if the rainbowing occurs on the windows too with polarized sunglasses. That might bug me since I wear polarized glasses all the time.

Good to know. Curious, do you wear polarized sunglasses? I do notice a rainbow effect on the front tinted windows with the 3M. Not the back, though. Curious if the rainbowing occurs on the windows too with polarized sunglasses. That might bug me since I wear polarized glasses all the time.
I don't but that's definitely something to keep in mind as I've read that Crystalline definitely causes some rainbowing with polarized glasses

I’m in the South Bay. Where did you end up getting the tint done at?

Not particularly but now that you're pointing it out, I'll probably start noticing it =). I wear sunglasses in the car most of the time which kinda casts a slight rose hue so the blue/brownish thing may be there but I just haven't noticed it. I'll check it out in the daytime next time.
Spent a good 4 days driving it constantly in the hot sun in Santa Barbara while on vacation and I honestly don't see a blueish tint at all, if anything, its a bit grey and the rears are just more dark grey.

Did Hamid do your windshield too? If yes, which film?

How did your windshield turn out and where’d you go? I got my windshield tinted but he’s telling me the tiny bubbles or dots in the windshield cannot he helped due to shrinkage of the tint……he said he’d give me my money back and take it off but wondering if it’s true or just smoke

How did your windshield turn out and where’d you go? I got my windshield tinted but he’s telling me the tiny bubbles or dots in the windshield cannot he helped due to shrinkage of the tint……he said he’d give me my money back and take it off but wondering if it’s true or just smoke
I did not ask him to do the windshield. He used XPEL XR on all windows and rear - happy with the result.

Has anyone in California gotten a ticket for 70% tint on their windshield? Thinking of doing 70% on windshield, 50% on driver/passenger windows and 35% on rear and back window. Going to go with Llumar Stratos. I'm
killer.gif
and have not had a front license plate for 50+ years and never had a problem. Car color is MCM.

Has anyone in California gotten a ticket for 70% tint on their windshield? Thinking of doing 70% on windshield, 50% on driver/passenger windows and 35% on rear and back window. Going to go with Llumar Stratos. I'm View attachment 826863 and have not had a front license plate for 50+ years and never had a problem. Car color is MCM.

Let me know how that windshield turns out. I took mine off due to the dots/bubble looking spots he said from curving the tint.

I just did windshield 70%

Fronts 15%
Rears 55%

XPEL XR

There should be no curving or anything on your windshield … just need to find a proper install shop

I love it so far wish I got the windshield done on all my cars in the past … 70% is very very light it just helps with UV protection

Attachments

• F545D319-5E9F-4F07-A810-5EDD766768C0.jpeg
    F545D319-5E9F-4F07-A810-5EDD766768C0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 228
  • ABE74A0F-BB26-408B-A174-51B4221A2CB8.jpeg
    ABE74A0F-BB26-408B-A174-51B4221A2CB8.jpeg
    552.6 KB · Views: 185
Reactions: mdsco