Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint choices and suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I scheduled a tint for next weekend - my neighbor's Plaid looks great with it.
He went carbon for $300 - the same shop said ceramic is $400 so I'm planning on that direction.
1) can anyone tell if there really is a heat difference?
2) i think my neighbor went 20% side and rear windows, and 50% windshield. The shop told me the ceramic looks darker outside, and you can see out of it easily - not sure how true that is. I also don't want tickets.
Aside from looks, or glare, I'm primarily interested in heat rejection. I do have a white interior, however I also believe even if the rays don't penetrate the tint, they HAVE to be heating up the exterior of the glass, and then that has to conduct inside anyway. At least that's what I'm thinking.
I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Lesson learned from tinting multiple cars:
Front Windshield tint makes a big difference in terms of heat rejection. Two of my previous car both had 20% ceramic back and 35% front tint all around except the windshield. Don't really feel the benefits during hot days. This time I got 70% ceramic tint on the windshield, could feel a big different when the car is parked under the direct sunlight

A good quality ceramic tint is far superior with regard to heat rejection for sure. TSER can be up to 15% higher for any given light transmission grade.
Yes you are correct the radiant heat from the glass does heat the cabin but a good quality tint will still noticeably lower the temperature.
The windscreen is a huge source of heat gain also so if you can tint that, again with ceramic tint, even 70% will make a huge difference to cabin temps.
Here is Australia windscreen tinting is illegal so I’m a bit nervous doing it, particularly from an insurance perspective. Figure the insurance company may use it as an excuse to void a claim if they can implicate its use to the accident.

Whenever Im driving my car with AC on, Im comfortable. Even in cars with zero tint.
If the car gets 140f inside while its sitting, but "only" gets say, 100f inside while its sitting and Im not in it? Not sure how much that really matters to me...