Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint in Southern Cali

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20-30 photosync for the windshield? Isn't that dark? I got the clear one and haven't noticed any weird glare.
Sorry I meant to say 70 to 80. I got it mixed up the other way around. It was just tiny bit darker than no tint. The glare, more like a haze, only happened when the sun is somewhere overhead. I see it when I back out from my garage when it is around 1pm to 3pm. Before the tint, I would stop right outside my garage and see clearly into it. After the tint, things seem "hazy" inside the garage. I don't notice the haze as much when driving around as everything is bright.

Last edited:
BTW, the only reason we decided to tint the windshield was because my wife (it is her car) thinks the tint will reduce the sun she felt on her coming from the top. The MX windshield is huge and almost all the way to top of your head. But even after the tint, it wasn't doing much, so we ended up putting up the top of the windshield sunshade that came with the car.

Extreme Autoworks is pricey, but I was impressed with their work compared to other tint shops. I've had my cars tinted at Socal Tint (Chino), and Signature Tint (Costa Mesa) and all had minor issues.

Extreme Autoworks has other film that are more cost efficient if you're not looking for the photosync film.

When I talked to them, the cost of the lower priced film that had similar heat and UV filtering was not dramatically different, but it sounds like Extreme is the area's go-to place for a lot of Tesla owners. I think to be the most cost effective and get me what I am trying to achieve, I will order the shield for the roof since I can remove it for a clear view when I want (ie, this camping in the car concept has me intrigued) and the side window tint will protect me and my passenger from sun exposure and excess heat.

Would Extreme Autowerks be interested in doing a tiered group buy like other vendors have done in the past? I'm sure there's quite a few owners expecting to receive their Teslas in June at the BP dealer.