Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tint issues, need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Long story short, I took the cheap route knowing it would bite me in the butt and had someone tint my model 3 that does not work for a reputable shop. He does it out of his garage and family members recommended me to him saying he does a great job. He ended up not being so great. First he lied saying that he was going to do the back in one piece and did two and didn't tell me until I confronted him about it. There are also these creases, even after letting it sit in the sun for several days, and lint stuck behind the film in areas on the windshield.

He also scuffed the paint on the front fender from what looks like a belt when reaching the windshield and scratched the trim in an area... The car was left a mess overall. The paint should buff out and I know going to someone like this was a risk that I shouldn't have taken.

He denies the paint and trim but said he will fix the tint. Should I even let him touch the car again or should I just take a loss on the $330 I gave him and go to an actual shop to fix the issues? Am I just expecting too much for a totally flawless job? I have had other cars tinted before but have never been as much as a perfectionist until the tesla.

For some reason it will not allow me to upload the pictures I took. I will try again in a little bit.
Thanks,

Evan

IMG_0862.jpeg IMG_0862.jpeg IMG_0864.jpeg IMG_0865.jpeg IMG_0868.jpeg

Looks a lot better than what I'd expect for $330 tbh.

it’s hard to tell what’s going on in the second pic....but I was going to say the same thing. I was expecting a lot worse.

I’m curious...For $330 What type of tint did he use? You run the risk of damaging the rear defrosters when removing the tint as well. It won’t be as great considering it was just done, but there’s still that chance. Something else to consider.

it’s hard to tell what’s going on in the second pic....but I was going to say the same thing. I was expecting a lot worse.

I’m curious...For $330 What type of tint did he use? You run the risk of damaging the rear defrosters when removing the tint as well. It won’t be as great considering it was just done, but there’s still that chance. Something else to consider.

He used SunTek CIR ceramic film.

I did this same exact thing a few years back with my BMW M4.. Recommended by a friend who used him for all of his exotics. The dude cut the film on the outside of my glass and left razor blade cuts all over the glass... Lint inbetween. NEVER use a mobile tint company EVER!

Trust me on this, take it to the best tint company that Tints teslas and have them remove and re-do professionally in a controlled environment. It will end up costing you 1.5 times the amount of a normal professional tint job but you will never be happy with a botched install, uninstall and reinstall.. It just won't come out right.

When I got my Model 3, Took it the best shop that knows how to tint teslas in one piece on the back (requires larger tint that isn't common on the smaller shops). They should also use a microfiber thick rope in the front windshield and back window to absorb water as to not ruin electrics in the dash. (known problem.. search it..).

Since I'm keeping the tesla.. I went to the best quality highest heat rejection and couldn't be happier.